Hosting Update: Superhost news, travel trends, and more

Hosting Update: Superhost news, travel trends, and more

BeloRauschBG (1).png

Hi everyone,

I’m pleased to be sharing this Host update with you, which has some exciting news and resources for our community including changes to the 2021 Superhost assessments, guest insights, and hosting tools updates. 

As people’s wanderlust begins to return, a top goal is to help you, our Hosts, prepare for travel’s return. As CEO Brian Chesky noted, “People can’t wait to travel again and when they’re able to, we anticipate significant pent-up demand, which will be directed to you.” 

This is an exciting time, but also a time where we still need to consider our own and our guests’ safety, and adjust to the new normals of work, travel, and play. I hope the information in this update gives you some useful tools and peace of mind as you begin to revisit your listings.

I’ll be back in touch again soon with more news! 

Take care of yourselves, 

Catherine

55 Replies 55

Maybe it's just me, but I detected a touch of sarcasm in that comment from @Mike-And-Jane0 🤔

Peter1354
Level 6
Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Ann72  

I'm all for a security deposit, however, I do think it should be a "blanket" amount charged by AirBnb, and not the host individually.

Attempting to have any kind of meaningful "SECURITY DEPOSIT" will leave hosts that do have their own, are at a disadvantage to those that do not.

In the event of a claim the host would have 10 days to make a claim of the deposit is refunded....or something along those lines.

@Ute42 

Why doesn’t Airbnb hire you?

Sie sind der Beste.

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0    

They don't hire me because I'm too expensive. They have already ignored me as a possible member of the HAB for the exact same reason:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Host-Advisory-Board-members/m-p/1401903/highlight/true#M305...

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

" "Pet-friendly” is the most searched-for amenity by guests." There it is again, Airbnb subtly pushing hosts to become pet friendly. And yet still nothing has been done to improve support for the hosts who are pet friendly. Instead, this is what pet friendly hosts have to deal with:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/quot-arbitrary-fees-quot-quot-vermin-quot-response-a...

plus my rant I just posted in reply to this thread. We manage 25 pet friendly properties. Dealing with the pet fee fiasco is easily a 20 hr/week job! We need to keep on them about it!

I'm looking to get into the business. I wanted to get an apartment in atlanta ,ga and use it for airbnb. Is that sometime you can help with?

We allow pets but our dogs do not.

@Ute42 

I remember well this post.

It was shut because @Mary996 and I talked about (travel) insurances and applying the contract and cancellation policy.

It seems that Airbnb is sticklish on this issue.

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0 

We had a thread closed down??? Eeeeek. What was the name of the original subject? Can you remember? Did we get off topic perhaps?

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Catherine-Powell 

As @Colleen253 noted Airbnb could do a lot better by its pet-friendly hosts, both in its host guarantee and in supporting a built-in pet fee. We allow pets but we'd much rather book them on Vrbo or our direct booking site due to Airbnb's total lack of support.

My home is pet friendly and I can tell it does not bring any traveller.

Pet friendly homes are quite rare in Paris.

I had 1 reservation with a pet in 5 years.

However, it allows to shut the mouse of allergic guests complaining they did not fell well.

« I am sorry my home does not suit your needs.

As written in the listing, it is a pet friendly appartment.

It means that sometimes there is a pet »

Miracle.

No more complaining of the allergic guests.

@Mary996 

look at @Ute42 ‘s reply.

There is a link.

She is too dear for Airbnb.

Ok got it! Thanks for drawing me in ....I see I missed out on the opportunity to comment on Santana! But otherwise the conversation persists ...seems it was just brought to an end.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Catherine-Powell If pet friendliness is such a draw, can you please do something to support the hosts who choose to host pets? A host guarantee that supports us and a way to charge a fee would go a heck on a long way. 

Also, putting on my guest hat, can you please make it easier to search for pet friendly properties? So many hosts don't know they even have it checked. With the people who are actually pet friendly, they often have requirements that don't work, like pets have to be left outdoors (yes, I've actually seen this requirement), have to be crated, weight limits, number of dog limits, etc. There should be more check boxes so guests don't waste their time contacting hosts who don't match their requirements. I've pretty mich given up using Airbnb as a guest if I'm travelling with my dogs, because it just doesn't work well.