Hosting live music performances in your home

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hosting live music performances in your home

Concerts.jpg

Hello everyone,

Here in the Community Center, we all have a range of interests and talents. In the past, many of you have shared how much you would like to host your own Airbnb Experience, and so I wonder if you have thought about hosting your own intimate performances in your home? Airbnb is giving the opportunity, in a limited number of cities, where you can do just that.

Pablo hosts intimate performances in his home in London. He shared, “The intensity and the appreciation I feel during my experiences is different than in traditional venues”. He hosts his Secret Gig with drinks & nibbles with new locals and travelers joining every time.

He recently released a new album, where he explores ideas of travel and what it means to break down barriers. He shares his new songs and the stories behind them while hosting an audience of new and old listeners.

You could bring live acoustic performances to an intimate and unexpected space — your home.  Set up the vibe, grab some snacks, and perform your best tunes for up to 20 guests. In the process you could earn up to $400* hosting your own show.

This is launching in a limited number of cities – San Francisco, Seattle, Nashville, London, and Sydney. Each proposed house show must  meet our quality standards and good neighbor guidelines before being published on Airbnb. Please note that specific rules may apply to hosting concerts in your city. If you would like to find out more about these rules, please speak to your local expert or seek independent legal advice.

Interested in hosting your own show or know someone who is? Head over to this page to find out more details.

*Potential earnings based on 20 guests booked with spots offered at $25 each. How much you actually make may vary with your pricing, actual occupancy, and other factors

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

16 Replies 16
Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

This sounds like another way city governments are going to hate Airbnb. Noise ordinances are in place in most residential areas and I'm sure the neighbors are going to love the fact that on top of strangers coming in and out, now it's a concert venue. Good grief.

No...I'll pass on this one..

So let me see, drinks and nibbles....how much security deposit should the host add to the price to repay him for food and drink spilled on carpets and furniture. Oh and God help the host if they decide to burn candles for "atmosphere" and one is knocked over and starts a fire. As 20 people stampede toward the door, is the host liable for injuries? Since the homeowner's policy is null and void the minute the host takes money from his guests, turning his home into a commercial operation not covered by homeowners insurance, should the host prorate a commercial liability insurance premium onto the ticket price? This idea could go really bad, really fast. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi @Zappa0

You are being too pessimistic!  With you name, you can hold a party and gig to cover Frank Zappa! Do not miss the opportunity!  🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Zappa0@Donna240 and @J-Renato0,

Thanks for your comments here, I can understand your initial thoughts on this and I too can imagine that hosting an intimate concert in your home isn't suitable or possible for everyone. Not everyone can fit more than 5 people in your home. 🙂

Having said this, I personally went to a really nice jazz concert in a intimate space in San Francisco not too long ago and I had a great evening, hearing a small ensemble of local artists – there is a different feel in the room (there wasn't a candle in sight). I've also been to a few gigs in homes before too and all have been really worth going to and special occasions.

You make an important point, I agree there are some important things to keep in mind, such as making sure it's not impacting your neighbours and other factors. 

Our homes are all different, so you never know this might be ideal for another host reading this, similar to Pablo, who I mention above. Maybe you would be keen to attend one instead! 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Sounds Good!

Now our young people have grown up 21- 25 yr olds; i often wondered what we could do about putting the piano and Classical guitars to good use. It may be a little challenging.....

Will continue to ponder on the idea.

Zora - Perth WA

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Yes @Lizzie, I think some good musicians, being them amauteur or professional can hold an intimate concert in their home, if they have a place to receive about 5 people.

Robin, in this community has already said he is good at pianno/keybord, and has already given a gig in clubs just for fun and he has a room in his property to play. It is just an example of  some situation when  hosts  can hold this type of experience.

I think, there are also some musicians that uploads videos on Youtube, (i.g. kind of electric guitar players that cover even famous rock songs and even famous heavy metal songs) that must have soundproof amateur studio at home. They can also offer this kind of intimate gig, and receive in their homes their fans that follow them in YT.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw yes @J-Renato0, I watched one of Robin's youtube videos of him playing the piano, it was fantastic. I listened to it on repeat a few times. 🙂

--------------------

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

Wow this is a great idea. I would love to do something like this in my home. Alas I do not perform. I would host artists that were interested in hosting their own event. How can we facilitate that?  @Lizzie

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Colleen47,

This is great. If you visit this Airbnb page (also included in my post above), you will be able to read more information about it.

Do you have a particular type of music you like? 🙂

--------------------

Ok I checked out the site. Thanks. I think what I have to offer does not fit into either the artist nor experience categories . I strictly have a wonderful venue. How can I interact or offer myself to artists? Any ideas? @Lizzie

I love all sorts, classic rock, world vibes, acoustic guitar, electro jazz, reggae @Lizzie

We are a new house on Phu Quoc island.Its also very quite and beautiful.Please visit my house when you come to Phu Quoc.Thanks a lot

Natascha23
Level 2
Merana, Italy

Why only in cities?  This would be a great idea in the countryside too.  I live on a hill in Piemonte, Italy and would love to host in my garden or lavenderfield during the summer. I know several farmers here who would be enthusiastic about this too!  19397699_10213235581227898_923306728_n.jpg

I would love to visit farmland in Italy