Hosting refugee families through Airbnb.org is a wonderful experience

Susan208
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Denver, CO

Hosting refugee families through Airbnb.org is a wonderful experience

image (18).png

Hello everyone! 

It’s wonderful to see our community respond so swiftly to the news that Airbnb.org is providing temporary housing for 20,000 people displaced by the crisis in Afghanistan. I am heartened that so many Hosts are eager to help, because with additional resources provided by all of us, the nonprofits working to resettle folks in need can do even more good work.

Of course, many of you have questions about the call for Hosts to offer spaces for free or at a discount—and how to opt into that program. Others have asked what it’s like to host refugee guests and how to support the cause in other ways.

Here’s what I can tell you. I’ve hosted 7 different refugee families from 5 countries since 2016, back when Airbnb.org was called Open Homes. The case managers from the nonprofits handling resettlement take care of booking, answer my questions, and give clear parameters for communicating with guests and making sure they feel welcome. Each experience has been unique and positive, which is why I continue to participate in and embrace the program.

It’s easy to get started. Anyone with private space available can sign up to offer free or discounted stays at Airbnb.org. If you aren’t able to host, you can support the cause by donating money to Airbnb.org, where 100% of your contribution goes to connecting people with temporary housing. Or you can opt to become a recurring donor by setting up your Airbnb listings to give a portion of your payouts—whatever percentage you choose—to Airbnb.org.

You’ll get an Airbnb.org Supporter badge on your Host profile for maintaining an Airbnb.org listing or being a recurring donor—and hosting refugee stays will not affect your Superhost status.

You can get a lot more details in this Resource Center article.

Are you preparing to support Afghan refugees or other people in need of temporary housing in your community? If so, please share how!

Susan Bailey is an Airbnb.org Host who has shared her home with refugees. She is also a member of the Airbnb Host Advisory Board.

17 Replies 17

I am still working on current reservation requests, and doing the pros and cons with my husband to see if this is in fact something that we can do.  As for right now, I need to keep my listing as is.  I will reach out when we have decided for sure on rather or not we can exclusively host families in need.

Thank you for reaching out and I will be in touch!

Rebecca

Thank you for considering this opportunity @Rebecca1547 ! 

Carie1
Level 6
Portland, OR

I'm wondering... is it a good idea to have a paying, regular guest and a refugee guest at the same time? I was just visiting with a friend who is an advocate for three Afghan refugees. I tagged along with her as she helped them with various transition issues. I worry that combining these two modes of hosting might be kind of risky--and I'm thinking for the refugees most of all. There's a lot of trauma to be healed here, and ... as well as the various stresses and expectations, strangers coming in and out doesn't seem very safe-feeling for people who have been through as much as they have.

What are your thoughts?

Here's my other question: can we require up-to-date vaccinations (I require this for my paying guests.) Could I specify women only?

Thank you,

Carie

(Also, big hesitation, Airbnb's $1,000,000 guarantee--what a laugh!)