How can Hosts benefit from Airbnb’s redesign?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How can Hosts benefit from Airbnb’s redesign?

US_CA_53719772_0251-HDR.jpg

As people start to feel comfortable traveling again, they’re not always sure where to go first—or when. So we just introduced a whole new way for guests to explore listings and discover great places like yours.

The new features can help you reach more guests in the earliest stages of trip planning. For example, we’ve added 21 Airbnb Categories, from Camping to Iconic Cities, to highlight great stays that guests can browse. Your listing could pop up in someone’s feed as soon as they open the app.

As a Host, you can improve your chances of getting noticed by making sure your listing details are as current and complete as possible—and complemented by attractive photos of your space. You can find out more on the Resource Center

What’s one thing you’ve done recently to make your listing really shine?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

144 Replies 144

Yes, we now have no choice but to re-open our booking dot com, tripadvisor, Houfy and other VRBO/Expedia platforms in order to preserve ourselves.  
What a shame, and I wonder if this was an intended consequence or an unintended one?
Did they want to push superhosts to diversify and renew their bookings on the competition?
I don't understand it.

I joined VRBO for the first time yesterday and in 24 hrs got 2 bookings! Meanwhile I haven'y gotten any on Airbnb because people aren't finding my listings anymore. I also started using Hospitable as a channel manager (basically to keep my calendars synced) and so far so good. But their user interface isn't the best, takes some getting use to when it comes to messaging the guests through their app. I'm feeling better about all this today because I am being proactive and trying not to miss out on bookings as we enter peak tourist season here. I declined to list with booking.com because I didn't feel good about their go to market strategy. It looks kind of like Orbitz or Travelocity and I have concerns about what type of guests it would attract. I don't need price hagglers. 

Julie1247
Level 4
Woolloomooloo, Australia

Forget your articles Quincy, it’s time you listened to what your hosts are saying or you’re going to loose them all. This just isn’t working! 

What if ABNB removed the category?????????? 

Now only Lake front and Beach front searches exist for ANY waterfront property on the entire platform.  What about all the River Front/  Creek Front Properties?

This new rollout has completely ignored the Kayakers/ Paddle borders and those that Fish. YOU ARE IGNORING A HUGH DEMOGRAPHIC>

I love the categories concept. I have hoped for something like this for years, because it will make it easier to find the right property for our style and needs, but this roll out has been a disaster. People can’t find our listing, when it is being shown I have no idea to whom (I am being showed places in categories for South Africa, even though I was searching Indiana.) I mean a little surprise properties at the bottom of the list of something OK, but no way am I suddenly going to South Africa next week!

@Quincy  unfortunatelly it doesn't work that way.

I found a listing in "Amazing pools" category

This listing doesn't have a pool in amenities but AI picked it up because it has a photo of a public swimming pool that is not even in its neighborhood. Needless to say - this photo is now the main photo

sorry, I can't stop laughing 😄 😄 😄 😄

Well I have discovered that my cabin is in the "Ski" category which is nice, WHEN IT IS SKI SEASON. Otherwise my private cabin in the woods on the edge of a national forest is not in any category at all. So visitors searching the "cabin" category won't ever find me for the other three seasons of the year. I should be in both Ski or Cabins. 

this is happening to hosts around the world. It's a big blunder. Nothing like shifting everything at the beginning of the summer season which for many of us is "the season" to make the majority of bookings/profit. I'm at a loss. 

Beverley123
Level 2
Mariposa, CA

@Quincy Same question. Who decides what category a property belongs in? Also, can a property be in more than one category?

We're near a national park. A lot of people who are going to the park stay at places outside the park, which are less expensive, like ours. But if I do a search on Yosemite National Park, it seems that nothing is listed for any rentals outside the park itself. It would be beneficial to hosts and guests if you had options for searching for places within a certain price range and distance of a tourist attraction. (People who stay at my place generally can't afford $400+ a night to stay IN the park.)

Also, I'd think guests would appreciate a filter or a category for places that accept pets. I'm surprised you don't have that, considering how many hosts don't accept pets.

Update: So, I found if I use the map for a search on national parks, when I focus on Mariposa area, I see listings outside the park. Except mine isn't on the map. Nor can I find my listing anywhere except under All Homes. How can I know what kind of photos would get me listed under a particular category?

We are having the same issue with our tiny house not appearing under tiny house. Frustrating. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Beverley123, thank you for your reply here. I've noted your points on the list so that the people from the product team can take a look. I'll share more info as soon as it becomes available. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Guess what!  REDWOOD National Park isn't even on the California map for Nat'l Parks!   Way to go Airbnb

Julie-and-Brad2
Level 3
Olympic Valley, CA

Please add “Riverfront” properties to your catagories!!! : )

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wonderful suggestion @Julie-and-Brad2 ! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Please bring back the original site. This category tool is great but only if hosts can select the categories that apply and only as an ancillary search and inspiration slider tool. I spoke to several of my guests and they said it's overwhelming and said they will be moving to VRBO next time. Please read the massive amount of comments regarding this dramatic shift. This is not helping your host community. Unless you are a multi-million dollar "design" category listing.