How can Hosts benefit from Airbnb’s redesign?

Online Community Manager in
London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

US_CA_53719772_0251-HDR.jpg

As people start to feel comfortable traveling again, they’re not always sure where to go first—or when. So we just introduced a whole new way for guests to explore listings and discover great places like yours.

The new features can help you reach more guests in the earliest stages of trip planning. For example, we’ve added 21 Airbnb Categories, from Camping to Iconic Cities, to highlight great stays that guests can browse. Your listing could pop up in someone’s feed as soon as they open the app.

As a Host, you can improve your chances of getting noticed by making sure your listing details are as current and complete as possible—and complemented by attractive photos of your space. You can find out more on the Resource Center

What’s one thing you’ve done recently to make your listing really shine?

Kun je niet vinden waar je naar op zoek bent? Klik hier om een gesprek te beginnen!

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!
97 Replies

Re: How can Hosts benefit from Airbnb’s redesign?

in
England, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Quincy Or anyone really...... Where do I find the category for our properties? Can the host change it/add it or if not how does it work?

London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0Listings are categorised algorithmically so Hosts cannot categorise their own listing. However, you can increase your likelihood of appearing in a category by making sure you have selected all of the relevant amenities and by highlighting them with front-page worthy photos. 

Kun je niet vinden waar je naar op zoek bent? Klik hier om een gesprek te beginnen!

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

in
England, United Kingdom
Level 10

Thanks @Quincy - Another question -How do I find out if I have been algorithm'd  Into a category

London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 ,

Currently, the best way to see what categories you surface in is to browse the categories yourself. 

Select the category you’re interested in, using dates when you know your listing has availability. Then select the map view and zoom in to display your location, and select Show list. If your listing is included in the category, you should see it both on the map and in the list view.

Keen to hear your thoughts and feedback!

Thanks,

Stephanie

Can’t find what you’re searching for?
Click start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

in
England, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Stephanie then I guess I have to wait as I can't search by category yet.

London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

@Mike-And-Jane0 should be live now? Try this URL.

To get to the Categories, you need to go through "I'm Flexible".

Thanks

Can’t find what you’re searching for?
Click start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

in
England, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Stephanie Found it. My feedback is that categories don't work.

It would appear that there is only 1 property in Derbyshire with a view and the chalets in a marina (a bit like a static caravan site) are the only properties in countryside that are available for a week in August. 

Just like the guys in Jaws who needed a bigger boat I guess Airbnb needs a bigger algorithm.

in
Woolloomooloo, Australia
Level 2

I agree, in one category that my properties should be shining there are only 29 properties to choose from, none in the area I have selected and one of them is listed 9 times! I can’t find any of my 7 properties anywhere and I’m not getting bookings!

in
North Stonington, CT
Level 10

Stephanie, Are you serious? Here's my feedback. This is a disaster!!!! Airbnb's decided that I don't know my property so well and that their Ai can do a better job of categorizing and selecting for me a preview image that better represents my listing. I DONT think so.

My historical, 300 year old farm located in the iconic Mystic, Connecticut area in New England, offers a luxury stay with mountain and pastoral views of my herd of horses and Texas longhorns, we are minutes from the Ocean (Beach), National and Historic parks, designer accommodations, mountain views and beautifully situated in the countryside of one of New England's most picturesque coastlines. My listing now only appears under Farmstay #53 of the whopping 56 categories. To which if I was looking for a farm stay now in coastal Connecticut, close to Mystic (the most searched for town in CT and top 5 in New England) I am shown farm stays that are over 200 miles away and not anywhere near the coast. My 5-star listing is buried deep among "farm stays" many which are barely 4 stars and don't even have a farm. My bookings have STOPPED since this change. My daily views have gone from 30 on avg to 0, my saves 0, bookings 0. Airbnb is killing my business. I don't understand why this couldn't have been an added widget to help those looking to explore unique stays while still keeping the workhorse of this platform which is about empowering hosts to create unique experiences that travelers love. Please don't give us canned how to links to show us how to try to renavigate a system that was working really well. This is such a blunder.  

in
Woolloomooloo, Australia
Level 2

I couldn’t agree with you more Kimberly! It is a total disaster! My bookings have gone to zero as well! I can’t find any of my 7 properties I have listed and like you when I search I am getting properties that are hundreds of kilometres away from the location I have requested and some listings showing multiple times, up to 9 I counted on one, with other duplicated properties that gave a choice of about 4 out of the measly 29 that were offered. Why did they change anything!? It seemed to be working fine, they’ve killed it, I’m going to another platform for all my listings. 

in
Altamonte Springs, FL
Level 2

I’m a host… but truly interested in visiting your AHmazing property!!! It sounds so gorgeous and I love horses.  Wish I knew how to find your property 

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Quincy 

I'm interested to know what qualifies as "front-page worthy photos". The photos on all my listings are taken by professional Airbnb photographers. When I search the shared homes category, most of the handful of listings that come up in my area (and I am looking at a large section of South London) don't have what I would classify as "front-page worthy" photos.

Here are three examples of listings the algorithm has chosen:

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 13.53.47.png

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 13.50.13.png

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 13.52.45.png

Now, I am not saying there is anything wrong with these listings which seem fine (although I need to put my rates up as they are all priced substantially higher than mine), but can you spot the difference when you compare what they have used as the lead photo to the one from my listing, which doesn't show up until I enter dates (the other two don't show up even then)?

1st floor-1.jpg I'd be interested to know which of the above four photos people would pick if they had to choose one as 'front-page worthy"...

And yes, my amenities are listed and up-to-date.

in
Hay Valley, Australia
Level 10

@Huma0 
haha, not even a trick question. You don't need to be a photographer (which I am) to tell that those first 3 are not professional images.  

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Gillian166 

Exactly. In the second photo, you can even see the reflection of the guy taking it.

Again, I am not criticising the listings. They don't look 'bad' to me, just your average homestay listing, clean and reasonably well equipped. I just don't think the photos are 'front-page worthy', so clearly that aspect of the algorithm isn't working.

Also the algorithm has chosen lead photos that are not the strongest. It seems that in some cases, it chooses a living or dining room or other communal space to illustrate that it is a 'shared home'. Still, it doesn't make sense because, in other cases, it chooses to show the guest room.

There seems to be very little rhyme nor reason going on here.

Comment