US_CA_53719772_0251-HDR.jpg

As people start to feel comfortable traveling again, they’re not always sure where to go first—or when. So we just introduced a whole new way for guests to explore listings and discover great places like yours.

The new features can help you reach more guests in the earliest stages of trip planning. For example, we’ve added 21 Airbnb Categories, from Camping to Iconic Cities, to highlight great stays that guests can browse. Your listing could pop up in someone’s feed as soon as they open the app.

As a Host, you can improve your chances of getting noticed by making sure your listing details are as current and complete as possible—and complemented by attractive photos of your space. You can find out more on the Resource Center

What’s one thing you’ve done recently to make your listing really shine?

67 Replies

Re: How can Hosts benefit from Airbnb’s redesign?

in
Boulder, CO
Level 5

This all seems like another way to take control away from the hosts. We can't see the name we have chosen for our home in the search (mine just says "Cabin" now) we can not choose our own categories, and we can not choose our own cover image. @Airbnb please take into consideration that your company would not exist without hosts, and please be mindful when you make changes to the platform that affect hosts negatively. 

Online Community Manager in
London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hi @Larissa112 @Jesse192, the title and main photo only changes in the flexible category search page — it displays as normal on any other stay search, and on the listing page once a guest clicks into it. 

Kun je niet vinden waar je naar op zoek bent? Klik hier om een gesprek te beginnen!

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

in
Boulder, CO
Level 5

@Quincy I just did a search for my house for exact dates and it still just says "Cabin on the Coast" instead of what my house is named. This generic name isn't very helpful for those of us with heavily branded, well known homes. 

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Quincy 

But why? Why the name change at all, regardless of the search method? What is the reasoning behind renaming hosts' listings, especially if that new name indicates the wrong location?

London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hi @Huma0, this is a good question. I'll add this to the list (which is directly seen by the product team). Once I get more info on this, I'll be more than happy to share this here. 

Kun je niet vinden waar je naar op zoek bent? Klik hier om een gesprek te beginnen!

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 10

Thanks @Quincy 

This doesn't seem to be affecting me personally as my listings are simply not showing up in any categories where I thought they might, e.g. shared listings, but I can see why this would be very upsetting for the hosts who are experiencing it.

in
Placitas, NM
Level 10

@Quincy @Sybe thanks for trying to clarify this chaos.  In another thread, the Chesky thread, Sybe is looking into why this is not true.  The title, photos, and number of reviews are not displaying in a location (normal) search.  Any help in getting clarification form all the community managers would be greatly appreciated by your stakeholders.

in
Mt Pleasant, SC
Level 3

It does not show.... when a traveler wants to see everything offered in an area in order to be sure to select the best property....with a search without dates.  Lack of info.

in
Oak Island, NC
Level 2

@Quincy  Requiring a guest to click on a listing to see the title, number of reviews, and a decent photo is counterproductive. I see cover photos of the insides of pantrys, a recliner, tons of couches (up close???). These are not things guests search for nor are they likely to click on them. 

Also, I live on an island at the beach. We are ALL beach properties. But the only ones coming up on my island are the actual beachfront homes.  However I am being shown homes 2-3 states away. On the beach. These “improvements” will drive many new users away.  It’s cumbersome and inconsistent.  

I have a very small window to get bookings in a seasonal, tourist destination. I am a private room in a shared home so I can’t list anywhere else.  This is killing my business.  I was

up to 1500+ views and started dropping immediately after the release.  This morning I was down to 450 and still dropping 

Please rethink this.  You are killing your small hosts who have been loyal forever.  I’ve been a Superhost for  6 years with over 200 reviews.  That’s not going to go much farther this year in light of this disastrous rollout.  

And for the love of Pete, stop trying to force WFH, digital nomads on everyone.  We don’t all want roommates. If we did, we would advertise on Craigs list.  The average stay in my area is 3 days per the opportunities you show me!   Quit trying to get me to go family friendly with a dedicated workspace. I am beach friendly with a hot tub and a homemade breakfast. I provide everything a guest needs for their perfect beach stay but I can’t get any guests!!

in
North Stonington, CT
Level 9

It also makes it really challenging and overwhelming for travelers. 

in
Hay Valley, Australia
Level 10

I'm really curious to know if you have beta testing on these changes, and do hosts get invited to participate? I've never seen any such invite here in the forums. 

found my listing is actually listed in Amazing Pools (i did a search earlier and it didn't show up, perhaps the dates thing defaulting to week-long stay is the issue?)
question: if a guest thinks my pool isn't amazing, can they demand a refund? Fun times ahead. 

in
Mt Pleasant, SC
Level 3

I suspect they had a timetable and a release deadline...

but ran out of time.

So they released this but it's not ready.

in
Hay Valley, Australia
Level 10

@Quincy 
How can Hosts benefit from Airbnb’s redesign?

At this stage i'm coming up with zero answers to this question.   

in
Sioux Falls, SD
Level 5

My house is a fun, 1950s vintage time capsule ranch in a moderately sized Midwestern City. I don't see that anything is coming up under these special categories for any of the 300 or so Airbnbs in our community. The special categories lead you to cities hundreds of miles away  Add to that, I now have no unique name and guests cannot see how many ratings I've had in the search, so my listing with a year and a half of five star reviews looks the same as someone with a week of five star reviews. I'm having a hard time understanding how this is going to help guests in my community, or my Airbnb in any way. In fact, people may come to the conclusion that we don't have what they're looking for and go find a hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hi @Jennifer2672, your home is lovely, indeed! The title and main photo only changes in the flexible category search page. Whilst listings are categorised algorithmically (Hosts cannot categorise their own listing), you can increase your chances of appearing in a category. More info on that is explained here.

Comment