How to Host: Add Details Guests Love

Tiffany204
Host Advisory Board Member
California, United States

How to Host: Add Details Guests Love

How a hospitality expert and former Creative Director with an eye for details transformed a 1970s beach bungalow into a space for guests to shine.

When guests enter the Beach Lodge, they immediately gain a sense of who Tiffany Caliva-Talledo is. Her thoughtfulness and love of design is felt through her choices in decor, the colors, the textures, and every personalized touch. As a former Creative Director, she’s always had an eye for details. Now, she’s started her own consulting business to help other hosts create memorable experiences. Her Hollywood Beach, California home has been featured in major design publications. Here, she shares with us her secrets to Airbnb success.

Tiffany 1.jpg

The Beach Lodge is Born

Before we fixed up The Beach Lodge, it was this ugly putrid green home. People called it the “Drug Den” and used to run by it when they passed! Neighbors thought we were crazy to buy it, but I saw something special in it—and I had this thought that if we could restore it, people would come. I saw the beauty in it and I wanted others to see it too. I’ve poured so much love into it—and I think guests come back for that very reason. Here are a few of my favorite hospitality tips to make your guest’s experience extra special.

Tiffany’s Tips to Go the Extra (S)mile

1. Craft a vibe
  2. Create mini-escapes
  3. Make it personal
  4. Give ‘em a take-home treat
  5. Put on your cruise director hat

Tiffany 2.jpg

1. Craft a vibe

Creating unforgettable experiences always starts with setting the right tone. When designing a space, I tell my clients to start with a feeling rather than a theme. What do you want your guests to feel when they step into your home—comfort, joy, serenity? For the Beach Lodge, rather than go with a literal seaside theme, I thought holistically about the colors, textures, and details I wanted to bring in and how they could create a heightened sense of relaxation and belonging: patterns that pop against airy neutrals, textures that evoke the sand, and plenty of plants to bring the outdoors in.

Also, decorating doesn’t have to be expensive! Flea markets and thrift stores are filled with inexpensive treasures and one-of-a-kind pieces that feel like they have a story attached to them. You just have to do a little hunting. I’ve especially been drawn to objects that represent my Filipino and Asian heritage. And you can’t always get that authentic, lived-in feel from a big box retailer. The items you choose for your space should say something, and together they’ll help tell the larger story of your home.

Tiffany 3 .jpg

Another piece of advice I share with my clients is to give yourself permission to play. Change up the decor. Try new things. Make refreshes each season. It’s the best way to discover what works for what you are trying to achieve and what doesn’t. Think of your space as a person with its own complexities and character. Like you, it should be shifting, changing, and evolving to be the best version of itself for the moment.

“Think of your space as a person with its own complexities and character.”

1. Create mini-escapes

Additionally, I love to play with space and visual interest in unexpected ways. One tip that I recommend is to create mini-escapes around your home—little getaway areas where guests can get lost in a book. I might add some blankets, pillows, and a painting to a corner so that it invites people to just melt away. Think of how you can create these little nurturing nooks throughout.

Tiffany 4.jpg

1. Make it personal

Where possible, help personalize your guests’ stay with extra special touches. For example, if someone mentions that they’re celebrating a birthday when they book a stay at the Beach Lodge, I’ll leave desserts or cupcakes from my favorite local bakeries. If they’re vegan, I’ll create a restaurant list in the city and nearby areas. If it’s a family with kids, I’ll switch out the pillows and linens and replace them with more durable ones. These thoughtful touches really stand out to guests. You’ll see them reflected in your reviews and repeat bookings.

Tiffany 5.jpg

1. Give ‘em a take-home treat

I recommend giving guests a momento or a keepsake when they arrive as a simple gesture that feels special and welcoming, like gift cards to businesses nearby or postcards from local artists. To take that idea even further, I also allow guests to shop the items I stock at The Beach Lodge directly, including the eco-conscious robes, linens, and vintage items I’ve collected. I also created an online store so anyone can shop it. I love the thought that guests can purchase an item they encounter and bring it home with them—to extend their experience and take back something special.f I’ve also been featuring women-owned and local brands, which are important to me. I don’t take any profits. It’s all about connecting people to these brands. It’s so much more than just a getaway to me. I want people to be inspired from within and to leave with a new way of living—however big or small.

“I want my guests to be inspired from within and to leave with a new way of living—however big or small.”

1. Put on your cruise director hat

We named our home The Beach Lodge because, to us, a lodge is a cozy space for people to gather, be with their friends and family, and feel like they belong. I really wanted to create a destination for my guests—to elevate it beyond just a place to sleep—so I stock it with board games, yoga mats, crafts, art materials, a BBQ grill, beach towels, bikes, books to get lost in, and a record player. Travel is about expanding your horizons and these activities can help people create memories and new ways of being. Consider the possibilities of your own space and what amenities can help enhance their overall experience.

Remember that it’s all about the details, details, details!  Through these thoughtful touches, guests will truly feel the care that you’ve poured into your space—and they’ll continue coming back.

Happy hosting!

-Tiffany

Want to incorporate some of Tiffany’s tips in your own listing? Update your listing. Not a host? Become one today.

Check out the full #howtohost series here.

Book a stay with Tiffany at the Beach Lodge. Follow the Beach Lodge on Instagram. Shop the Beach Lodge store.  

83 Replies 83

@Tiffany204 What a great piece, Tiffany.   Your eye for color and detail is second to none.

I'm following you on Instagram!  Mine is @Diagonair.  

Tiffany204

Thank you Ann, I’m so very flattered! I love playing with colors and patterns and anything that’s visually stimulating. I think that joy is part of what gives The Beach Lodge it’s character. I’ll definitely take a look at your IG. Thanks for sharing! 

@Tiffany204  IG: @tinyoakland  I added new furniture, artwork, paint, etc. Currently prepping for a backyard Halloween experience 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Tiffany204

Thank you very much for these helpful informations. 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Tiffany204

Hi @Miloud0,

Thank you for reaching out! I hope they've provided some great ideas for improvement. Remember, you don't have to spend a lot of money to provide these special touches. A small gesture goes a long way with guests who aren't expecting it.

Best,

Tiffany

Marta794
Level 6
Portland, OR

Thanks for the detailed tips and suggestions. It's good to know we were incorporating some beforehand. We treat all guests the same with common extra touches and, when mentioned, go the extra 'extra' step if it's a birthday, newlyweds, or new grand babies of which we've had two guests so far with another coming up. Both have appreciated our celebratory gestures: 'Congratulations' spelled out in alphabet wood blocks and a balloon announcing baby boy or girl. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Marta and Steve

Tiffany204

Hi @Marta794 ,

Your guests must feel so special upon arrival! A great sign of ongoing success.

best,

tiffany 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

It's a beautiful house with A LOT of nice decors... unfortunatelly when you rent an apartment in a city center as we do, you have to reduce the decor due to too much dust 😞

Tiffany204

Hi @Branka-and-Silvia0 ,

I can sympathize about the dust; I have so much of them in my personal home. But you don’t need a lot of decorative accessories to make a welcoming home. You just need the pieces to have been thoughtfully chosen. They will provide more character to your apartment if you follow this way of decorating. Hope that helps!

Best,

Tiffany

@Tiffany204 

yes, I know, we do have decorations.... and I remove them one by one as time goes by 😄

Tiffany204

You know what best suits your circumstance and design aesthetic. 🙂

Just amaizing!

Tiffany204

Thank you @MarilinAcosta0! I hope these tips help to at least get some ideas flowing! 

Best,

Tiffany

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Tiffany204

I thank you, also, very much for the message. Sure i will do, your ideas are so helpful

Thanks, 

Miloud

Tiffany204

Good luck!