How we’re giving hosts a seat at the table

Airbnb
Official Account

How we’re giving hosts a seat at the table

BeloRauschBG.png

You may have seen a letter from our CEO Brian Chesky this week with some important announcements for our community. In case you missed it, we’re launching a formal program to give hosts a seat at the table, and an opportunity to take part in our company’s success.

It’s made up of two equally important parts:

• Airbnb Host Advisory Board: A diverse group of hosts on Airbnb who meet regularly with Airbnb executives to represent the host community's voice and make sure that hosts’ ideas are heard
  • Airbnb Host Endowment: A fund that is intended to provide support to our host community now and in the future, which we expect will be initially funded with 9.2 million shares of Airbnb stock 

You can read much more about the programs here.

We’re looking forward to introducing the Advisory Board before the end of the year.

107 Replies 107

@Fred13 

Why would you assume nothing was accomplished? 

Because Fred... Every single time this comes up you get asked what you accomplished and every single time you avoid answering. (Despite being tagged in the question - as here).

@Fred13  What did all your time on the Global Advisory Panel ever achieve?

I too see both sides of things because I too have been in business all my life as well, I don't just need to mention it at every possible opportunity. What I don't see are any improvements for hosts or hosting or improvements in the operating platform. Just ask @Robin4 , he's just posted a lengthy post outlining all the things that have changed for the worst over time and his involvement in these things over here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Airbnb-s-new-direction/m-p/1369128/highlight/true#M32630...

So what has been accomplished?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 Actually quite a few changes over the years.

To me their greatest achievement today will be to stay in business, even after this major calamity, because they will bring more guests again to sharing hosts than anyone else on Earth. For what they have done for me, *I*  am grateful; besides it cost me nothing to once again give them my time.

If you choose to be always be angry at them 24/7 that is your trip, but not mine;  it is really that simple. 

@Fred13 wrote:

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 Actually quite a few changes over the years.

To me their greatest achievement today will be to stay in business, even after this major calamity, because they will bring more guests again to sharing hosts than anyone else on Earth. For what they have done for me, *I*  am grateful; besides it cost me nothing to once again give them my time.

If you choose to be always be angry at them 24/7 that is your trip, but not mine;  it is really that simple. 

@Fred13 

Thats it isn't it? 

You achieved NOTHING. Yet you still keep on toeing the corporate line. 

One thing is for sure, and a major difference between us is that if I invest time in something then there had better be a return for that investment. Not necessarily back to me, but to hosts in general. Plainly the Host Workshop @Robin4  took part in and the unenthusiastic reaction of the participants to the idea promoted that "hosts can discuss changes" to implement, was probably the reaction of a bunch of hosts who thought "Oh no, not that again" When there's no return on their time invested, why ever would they want to take part? Nothing comes from any of these "workshops", "meetings" or "consultations" which will ever benefit hosts. 

Just as you found. Just as I 've found.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 You are in a mission aren't you to promote your cynicism and it really bothers you others do not share your mentality. I do not think like you, nor do I agree with you, nor do I champion what you want (or expect) from Airbnb, at all. 

The time I choose to help Airbnb to address some of their past or existing absurdities like put a cap on guest numbers (they just did it), cull their host ranks again (they are doing it), hold hosts & guests more accountable (inevitable), drop the Host Guarantee altogether and replace it with a deposit system (inevitable), etc. is up to them. None of us own Airbnb, none of us even have to have them in our lives. Its a choice.

One thing for sure, the time I am willing to give to them (or to this forum) I would never view as an 'investment' subject to an accountant's ledger. 

Your posts above are a marked deviation from what we are all here for - sharing ideas in parallel  respectably and hopefully, collectively, reason will prevail.

@Fred13 

No Fred, I'm not on a mission, and very little actually 'really' bothers me.. Although I can clearly see a mission happening which includes numerous hypocritical hosts wanting selfish personal benefit whilst claiming the good of hosting.

Giving hosts a seat at at the table: 

• Airbnb Host Advisory Board: A diverse group of hosts on Airbnb who meet regularly with Airbnb executives to represent the host community's voice and make sure that hosts’ ideas are heard.

That's not dissimilar to the Global Advisory Panel you were part of was it?

I think that conclusively from your reply that hosts' voices were never heard. Nothing changed despite all the complaints batted around this forum at the time. What actually was happening in that Global Advisory Panel ?

From what I see it looked like a convenient jolly for Airbnb executives to fly the world and have freebie holidays and pretend that they listened - or worse, maybe nothing was said.

From what I see it looked like hosts wanting to garner personal benefit and - although you might not like the expression "toeing the line" - that's EXACTLY what occurred. Various hosts were 'acquired'. Therein lies a serious personal investment with a personal return.

So, the way I see it is like this... Airbnb 'learn' that hosts are gullible and can be manipulated (acquired/bought/perjured(?)) because of their need to succeed. Fair enough.. **bleep** happens.. So because of that the hosts representing the 'global hosts' are not involved for altruistic reasons, but only for personal benefit.

Lots of words and jolly's happen, many miles travelled, lots of wine consumed, everyone departs as great mates - then because nobody was insistent on the benefits towards 'global hosts' it becomes clear that some advantage can be taken over the lethargy of the global hosts representatives and it was noticed that their failure to even mention or  implement the basic 'ideas' - so are never heard. Never even mind that they should ever, ever, ever be acted on.

Lessons learnt. Representative hosts are a push over and hosts rights can be eroded because altruistic ideologies do not exist. So, who might be responsible for giving that idea??

So yes. I'm angry. This is what made me specifically angry.. this time...

The new Airbnb Terms and Conditions excerpt (tiny, tiny piece):

This is a teeny, weeny, weeny part of the new terms, updated Oct.30th 2020 which all hosts will have to acknowledge (by default) and agree to:

Section 16:

Members acknowledge and agree that Airbnb administers its Policies (such as our Extenuating Circumstances Policy) and Standards (such as basic requirements for hosts), including decisions about whether and how to apply them to a particular situation, at its sole discretion.

Where - Oh where - right now is this " Hosts having a seat at the table" ? 

Sold down the river.

Hoodwinked.

And Mugged.

@Fred13  You might not think this as part of your past responsibility, but the erosion of hosts rights over the years has a lot to do with those "Global Advisory Panels" and their inability to advise and guide change for the benefit of hosts.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 I think they been hearing the message, can't help it,  from those that post here including you and I, but they are not believing our message. You be surprised how much pounding I have clobber them with to change some things that make no sense, that alienate (and are not fair) to hosts and in the long run does Airbnb no favors. I get the feeling *!* (we) are fighting a mentality stuck in cement, the same as with all these new high-tech people which tend to think the same way. And yes, stop with the bs repeating dog & pony show; been there, done that, got the T-shirts.

What I always try to do is open the cranium enough to start to believe what we are saying, to take us seriously.  That is the biggest hurtle. Maybe, just maybe the Covid-19 event will cause them to be more receptive to a new way of thinking. Anything is possible, but no guarantees that's for sure.

@Fred13 

Believe this Fred... They are not going to listen, they are only going to go through the motions in order to give the illusion they're listening. This is very likely to suck up hosts time which will be completely wasted and have no tangible benefit.

Changes, like the ones hosts want of a fair and equal treatment are a long way off in Airbnb's opinion, one they want to avoid and they deliberately obfuscate matters in order to control hosts financial and letting policies in any way they wish, and that will not not be to the benefit of hosts.  As mentioned, they have just revamped their terms promising everything yet providing nothing. Despite promises, nothing changes.

Check out the ongoing analysis of the new terms at 1000hosts dot com and their informative channel on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=repGa-eklwY&feature=youtu.be  or search for "Airbnb Made Two Big Announcements Yesterday. The Biggest Victory for Airbnb Hosts So Far."

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 I am well aware of this fellow's work and yes the mysterious & capricious application of Airbnb's EC policy in the last 8 months has morphed from being somewhat 'understandable' to now being unexplainable. 

I have my own examples to give, I been weaving & dodging to not loose reservations since last March with Airbnb constantly & flippantly applying their EC policy without a reasonable explanation or opportunity to combat it. I just had a case like this, the guest was coming in December, then I get the 'kiss of death' form cancellation letter from Airbnb - cancelled/full refund/no explanation/no opportunity.

I been turning around guests wanting to outright cancel since March given the opportunity, since I believe a reservation kept (in my case) is good for Airbnb and myself. But when some 'CS personnel', who I have no clue about his level of interest (for the host) or brain power to do what is best, simply decides to cancel a reservation after I been holding that spot with Airbnb for a full year (when they now could have traveled since the borders are open on both sides), that is a real problem. Never mind that it is not smart business.

It erodes confidence on the part of Airbnb hosts, now every reservation with them (at least to me) has an asterisk with it - 'If it holds*'  - this is definitely not going to work if every host is already that nervous. It also begs the biggest question - how long is this going to go on?

We are largely in agreement, and perhaps two fronts are better than just one. There is the legal issue and the internal 'be smarter' attempt, both on the same exact goal.

P.S. With the cancellation mentioned above, I wrote to the guest and he is now re-booking which he would have done so given the option to postpone had I (the host) being given the opportunity to work with him in the first place. 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 thanks for getting involved here, and whilst you are more than welcome to disagree with @Fred13 or anyone else, please do so respectfully and without making personal comments, as per the guidelines of the Community

@Katie  

Thanks for singling me out once again. I, and others do seem to get this public notification far more regularly than others.

Perhaps I need to be more active in using the "Report" button too?

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 01.03.45.png

@Nick  @Fred13 

Just FYI.

My experience with a true 'Peanut Gallery' comes from one in the Black Hills of South Dakota (town of Leadville) many years ago. It is a play, that if the audience finds the actors too absurd (or fraudulent) they let them know it in no uncertain terms by throwing peanuts at them, thus the name. Quite analogous to the situation at hand, no? It appears today it has been hijacked since then and now it insinuates a sinister plot.

Sometimes I do find myself thinking: 'Stop the world, I want to get off this one'.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 thanks for your message. I'd be happy not to have to tag you in posts such as the previous one, but in order for that to happen, you will need to stick to the guidelines. I understand that you are angry, but please make sure to remain respectful to others regardless of your own feelings 😊

Thank you for highlighting this other interpretation of the above phrase - @Fred13 perhaps you could re-phrase your question so as not to invite any offence? 

(looking for the question) Just block it out, really it is all not that important.

@Ria16 , @Francesco1366 , @Inna22 @Super47 @Rebecca181 @Helen3 

Actually @Fred13 , I’m with you.

The world has had to make changes and Covid19 will affect all rental for quite awhile... Corporate and small business need to think and do differently.

I pretty well wrote this on @Catherine-Powell‘s thread of the Brian Chesky announcement, after also reading my emails.... 

🌻A voice for all, exists here in the CC. I wouldn’t like to see the introduction of voluntary admin monitors on local / regional Facebook sites, overrunning and reducing the CC’s “bite” or contribution/ or point of operation: the Global hosts‘ viewpoint.

Facebook sites can work, but easily detour to be political clique, depending on the administration’s personality, experience and viewpoint. These can be beneficial, but more likely, fraught with danger.....

To maintain a Facebook site can be VERY heavy in time management, especially for volunteers. . The Community Centre already offers that unbiased opportunity for a host’s voice, with paid community managers. 

I think a company going public, shouldn’t rely on volunteers....... Those with the most time or interest, may not necessarily be the best for the job.

I think getting this level of consultation right, is extremely important. As the feeder groups must be authentic and streamlined, or an advisory board will be fed with misinformation.

The advisory board then, should not become the scapegoat for negative executive decisions. (eg: “oh well, it’s out of our hands, as the advisory board wanted this.” )

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m all for positive change which includes hosts being at the table.
I’m just not sure how my voice, can be better heard or amplified, than the current Community Centre. Promote it and staff it well, with empathetic and intelligent individuals, which you have already! Allow a one point for information to be filtered through the different language Community Centres.  Ensure this voice gets heard first, above all others, then direct it to an advisory board, either filled by hosts, and/or like minded individuals where there is no conflict of interest.

There are only so many hours in a day, to find time to highlight and document policy, procedure and other administrative concerns. Isn’t it better for @Airbnb  to continue to streamline where you can voice any concerns and where they can in turn, find that information?

Rather than many search areas (regional Facebook sites) or sub groups of varying hosts batting for their style of hosting only, where self-interest and human nature will naturally come to the fore.

As I say, the consultative process is what will underpin this advisory board. I’m for that consultation and hosts being heard. Just make sure those advisory board hosts aren’t placed on a pop-up trestle, at the end of a very long table.......... to be seen, but not heard..... 

The devil is in the detail.  😊💐

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Cathie19  That’s a great read and very true. Some of our facey pages here are downright mean.  I don’t know what brings out the nastiness in people when they are sitting behind a keyboard .