How we used your feedback to inspire change

Administrator in
Malibu, CA
Administrator

Hi everyone, 

As we kick off the new year, I want to take a moment to reflect on all we’ve achieved together over the past 12 months and personally thank each of you for providing outstanding hospitality to guests around the world.

Without you, we wouldn’t be where we are today. In particular, we’ve evolved Airbnb as a direct result of your feedback—from better hosting protections to improved support, and many other products and services. 

Head over to the Resource Center to read my full message and watch a great video about how we’ve been building and improving Airbnb together with Hosts. And please keep sharing your thoughts with us. I appreciate each and every one of your messages, and I do read your comments, even if I don’t always manage to reply directly.

Best wishes for a happy and successful year of hosting in 2022! And if you like the video, please consider sharing it with your followers. 

All my best, 

Catherine

Labels (1)
32 Replies

Re: How we used your feedback to inspire change

in
Orono, ME
Level 10
  • Improvements to our review system: In our continued effort to improve the review process, we limited the instances where guests who cancel are able to leave a review.

Thank you for that. I recently had a guest cancel on their day of arrival because their flight was canceled. There was no option to review, as there shouldn't be. 

in
England, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Catherine-Powell you say in your article we should tag you but you never respond (at least never to criticism). Will this be changing going forward?

Also, while I am here, Does the HAB still exist and does it have a new set of people given that it was originally a 12 month tenure?

in
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Level 10

@Mike-And-Jane0 

The GAB still excists::

Emiel1_0-1642200594126.png

Online Community Manager in
London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0, Although Catherine cannot respond to each and every comment, we are passing on your feedback to her and her team. We will continue to work closely with Catherine to address as many of your questions and feedback as possible, positive or negative, shared here on the CC, so please do keep sharing your opinions and suggestions with us. 

The host advisory board was always a long term program - ideas brought forward in the first year begin to take shape and develop, and the next set of board members continue that work.

We know change is gradual and things can take a while before we see the fruits of the labour. That being said, several of the 2021 board are staying on, with some new faces joining from all over the globe. We’re looking forward to introducing them to the CC soon!

Thanks,

Quincy

Kun je niet vinden waar je naar op zoek bent? Klik hier om een gesprek te beginnen!

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

in
England, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Quincy I agree @Catherine-Powell can't possibly answer every comment but it is rather amusing that she finds time to answer a few positive comments but never has time to answer a negative comment. That said I would have thought she might make the extra effort to respond to posts on a thread she has started. It might get her more than 2 pages of comments which is really quite poor!

in
Alberta, Canada
Level 10

“Calendar refresh: Your desktop calendar is redesigned and easier to use, with helpful new features.”

It’s not improved. It’s practically unusable now.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/New-calendar/td-p/1532784

Input from hosts, those who actually use the calendar, would be worthwhile, rather than simply letting a design team loose on it. Please switch back to the old calendar format. Hosts should be consulted when any changes to features we use heavily are intended.

Why has the search process been changed, regarding filters? Not good for anyone. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Appalled-filters-are-no-longer-working/m-p/1436615#M313500

Online Community Manager in
London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hi @Colleen253

Thanks for flagging those two discussions, in which a lot of very insightful feedback was shared. We’ve highlighted them to both Catherine and the relevant teams.

I know they appreciate your comments and any suggestions you have on how you think best to improve things, so please do keep contributing to the Community with your experiences and ideas, as it's really helpful to hear them!

Thanks,

Quincy

Kun je niet vinden waar je naar op zoek bent? Klik hier om een gesprek te beginnen!

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

in
Jersey City, NJ
Level 10

1) Your 'pet fee' roll-out leaves something to be desired.  Adding a prompt about service or emotional support animals, just in case the traveler isn't aware they can check that box and then bring any animal into a no pet listing.  The prompt that mentions 'if you're bringing more animals than 2' let your host know.  What the?  Huh?  And where did you get 'up to 5 animals'?  Why?  Do you think any sane people other than those possibly attending a dog show travel with 5 dogs or cats?

2) Still nothing on revenge reviews.  The simple fix, would be that when there is a dispute and the evidence is not overwhelming on one side or the other [you could use the reasonable person standard] that you should allow the text review but remove the stars for both host and guest.  Hosts are held hostage by guests, afraid to call out bad behavior and damages for fear of their listing being tanked by a 1 star review.

3) Speaking of the stars, the pressure for every review to be 5 stars makes the entire system basically worthless except for Airbnb's marketing against hotels.

4) Why oh why do you think that anyone should be able to bring, again 5, infants to a listing and not have that count against the guest total?

5) I beg you to stop 'updating' this web site without beta testing it with hosts and guests.  There has not been an actual improvement that makes anything work better in YEARS.

6) Is Airbnb ever going to train the customer service people or is this actually by design?

7) Why does Airbnb suspend listings for things like 'hidden cameras' when a child could check the listing and see whether cameras are disclosed or not? This is a horrific policy, especially for an American based company to have, where hosts are found guilty and punished without any chance to defend themselves.

**Those are half a dozen serious issues that have been issues at least since 2018 and are all easy to fix but have not been fixed.  Color me skeptical at this point.

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Mark116 

@Mark116 wrote:

2) Still nothing on revenge reviews.  The simple fix, would be that when there is a dispute and the evidence is not overwhelming on one side or the other [you could use the reasonable person standard] that you should allow the text review but remove the stars for both host and guest.  Hosts are held hostage by guests, afraid to call out bad behavior and damages for fear of their listing being tanked by a 1 star review.

at least since 2018 and are all easy to fix but have not been fixed.  Color me skeptical at this point.

Excellent suggestion. 

in
Orono, ME
Level 10

Hosts are held hostage by guests, afraid to call out bad behavior and damages for fear of their listing being tanked by a 1-star review.

But isn't this exactly what Airbnb wants? This is standard now with all gig economy companies. Keeping the host scared of 1-star reviews is how Airbnb avoids hundreds of thousands of damage claims and p*ssed off guests. 

in
Alberta, Canada
Level 10

@Emilia42 Yes, exactly, and this is why we all need to work smarter, not harder. Not be afraid to heed the red flags and decline those sketchy guests. Hosting on Airbnb is all about prevention. Keep the problematic guests from getting in the door in the first place.

What’s unfortunate is that Airbnb’s tactics against hosts result in higher rates for guests. The $ for damages from denied claims has to come from somewhere. All guests pay the price for this, even the good ones. 

in
Victoria, Australia
Level 10

Helen @744  Mark  I agree with you about the punitive review system it is terrible, as you say , Why on earth would hosts ,which is a childish way of saying "adults who are semi professionally attempting to run a business using their own resources during some extremely trying circumstances" attempt to harm guests in anyway  Why ? If a host has racked up five stars consistently over an entire year or two be punished by one review by someone who actually is in no way qualified to comment. Someone who cannot compare value with other Airbnbs because they have only ever booked one. yours . Someone who knows full well where the place is within a couple of streets ,why can they then say ." I would rather be in Hawaii"  so this location is crap.Someone who leaves two full bins of alchohol related bins and food up the walls can then say "the place was a bit old " not like a hotel room .Some people think lawns and birds are dirty but that is not and should not have anything to do with our ratings but it does. and as we clean up after these people we use our common sense hat and mark dirty or unclean as "blood on the floors" or vomit left in the toilet or body parts in the dish washer.Change this system and allow hosts to greet people in their own homes without allowing guests to march in with a list in their hands like health inspectors. To treat us rudely  to not follow or even read rules. It is a priviledge for people to come to the places we assiduously prepare for them. It is time Airbnb finished up with their grab bag of checks and balances and realised that good hosts are always good hosts and its the guests who are partying not the hard working hosts. Cheers . Yes I am annoyed Helen

in
Oakhurst, CA
Level 1

I have been a host since 2013 and a Super Host since they started the designation.  I received a "Warning" because the Community Review Team decided I rejected the guest.  My response was clear - I stated "we usually don't accept pets" and the problem was that we got 8 inches of snow and didn't have a cleaning person.  It was a last minute reservation for Christmas weekend.  There were "programmed response" emails detailing the assistance animal rules.  After 3 email responses from me the file was closed with no change in their determination.  I have no confidence in this process where we are not allowed to know the disputed claims.  I have Jessica's conversations in my history and I know what happened.  I am also skeptical of the restraints put on hosts.  

in
Vermont, South Africa
Level 2

I do agree with 2)

"2) Still nothing on revenge reviews.  The simple fix, would be that when there is a dispute and the evidence is not overwhelming on one side or the other [you could use the reasonable person standard] that you should allow the text review but remove the stars for both host and guest.  Hosts are held hostage by guests, afraid to call out bad behavior and damages for fear of their listing being tanked by a 1 star review."

This scenario played out with my one guest. My Superhost status is being taken away after only three months, by one 1 star review by a very vindictive, lying and nasty guest, where my listing's 13 other reviews are three 4 stars and ten 5 stars!!!!

Pieter Steenkamp
Comment