Inside look: Connecting Superhosts and new hosts in Austin

Airbnb
Official Account

Inside look: Connecting Superhosts and new hosts in Austin

A Superhost checks in at the Airbnb tailgate party in Austin, Texas.A Superhost checks in at the Airbnb tailgate party in Austin, Texas.

A lively tailgate party at The University of Texas at Austin’s homecoming game this month was the perfect way to welcome a dynamic group of new-to-Airbnb hosts—and show our appreciation for some longtime Superhosts. In between playing lawn games and eating lots of barbecue, hosts had the chance to share helpful tips, get inspiring advice, and meet other hosts who they can keep learning from long after football season winds down.

Check out the photos below for a glimpse of how a group of local Superhosts—decked out in custom football jerseys with “Superhost” emblazoned on the back—helped us welcome new hosts to our community.

401879527_Host-Hook-Em-Austin_Sequence-335.jpg

Live music set the stage for an afternoon of mixing and mingling with new hosts, Superhosts, and Airbnb employees.

401879527_Host-Hook-Em-Austin_Sequence-91.jpg

To help spark conversation, new hosts were encouraged to swap colorful keychains with attending Superhosts and a handful of Airbnb employees. Hosts who collected all five colors not only made new friends but also walked away with a $100 USD coupon to try out an Airbnb Experience.

401879527_Host-Hook-Em-Austin_Sequence-527.jpg

Couches, wicker chairs, poufs, and carpets were brought in to create a cozy space for hosts to relax and watch the UT vs. Kansas State football game. We also provided complimentary tickets for hosts and their plus-ones to catch the game up close.

401879527_Host-Hook-Em-Austin_Sequence-287.jpg

Even Hook ‘Em, UT’s costumed mascot, stopped by our tailgate lounge for a visit with Airbnb’s General Manager Laura Chambers (right). 

401879527_Host-Hook-Em-Austin_Sequence-139.jpg

Over pumpkin-spice mini donuts from Little Lucy’s, many hosts described how they love sharing the best of Austin with their guests. “I know how to prep for people who come for concerts,” says host Joey , who welcomes his guests with local beers, bottled water, and snacks. “A lot of people come home exhausted, thirsty, and hungry. It also turns into a conversation starter: ‘This is my favorite brewery.’ The little touches go a long way.”

401879527_Host-Hook-Em-Austin_Sequence-233.jpg

In between all the food and drinks, hosts took time to enjoy friendly matches of cornhole and other lawn games. Nearby, Superhosts Aaron and Cara  drew a small crowd of new hosts who wanted to hear some of their top cleaning tips: Stock black towels for guests who wear makeup, and go over the bed with a lint roller to pick up stray hairs.

401879527_Host-Hook-Em-Austin_Sequence-547.jpg

Superhost Shelli (right) also took the time to share some of her top hosting tips for new hosts. To help set expectations with guests, for example, she prints out her House Rules, frames them, and scatters them throughout her space “so people have a reminder. It can be confusing,” Shelli says. “It isn’t a hotel. You can’t go down to the front desk. I pretty much live in hotels, and doing it on your own requires attention to detail.” Luckily, Shelli counts on her twin sister Shannon (left) to manage the property and lend a helping hand.

401879527_Host-Hook-Em-Austin_Sequence-432.jpg

New host Haley (right) says she started hosting as a way to maintain her lifestyle without needing to find roommates. Hosting is also a way to keep things in the family—the cleaning fee goes to her mom, Kim (left), who recently retired. “Mom is my co-host,” Haley says.

401879527_Host-Hook-Em-Austin_Sequence-222.jpg

Having access to Airbnb customer service agents at the event was perfect timing for Phu (left) and his wife Trang (second from left)—the couple had just welcomed their first guest the week before the tailgate party. Phu admits that he was nervous about listing their custom-built home that has a grand piano. But after talking to other new hosts and some local Superhosts, Phu says: “This event gave us more confidence.”

401879527_Host-Hook-Em-Austin_Sequence-155.jpg

There’s nothing quite like getting the chance to meet the hosts who make our community strong. Airbnb researchers and staff traveled from our San Francisco headquarters with General Manager Laura Chambers (top row, second from right), and members of our customer service team (pictured in blue T-shirts) flew in from Portland, Oregon, for the tailgate party. Thanks for the warm welcome, Austin! Hook ‘Em Horns!

Are you a new host who could benefit from some Superhost tips or knowledge? Check out the rest of Community Center, or find your local Facebook group.

Are you a host in Austin who missed the tailgate event? Leave a comment here, and we'll send you a link to the private Community Center group we formed for local Austin hosts.

8 Replies 8
Margaret863
Level 1
Austin, TX

We would like to be part of the Austin community- Terri & Mark

Same here!

Jason391
Level 2
Austin, TX

I'd like to join. Thank you!

Karen1784
Level 2
Port Townsend, WA

How can we get a Facebook group started for our area - Olympic Peninsula in Washington?

Chloe112
Level 2
Austin, TX

I’d like to join. Sounds great!

Lida291
Level 1
Austin, TX

I'd like to join as well...  thank you!

Would love to join a similar future event! Hook’em.

Same here