Introducing AirCover, plus 50 more updates and improvements

Airbnb
Official Account

Introducing AirCover, plus 50 more updates and improvements

N9_SH260_STILL_1920x1080_thumbnail_v2.jpg

Back in May, we rolled out over 100 upgrades to improve every aspect of the Airbnb service. Today, with the Airbnb 2021 Winter Release, we’re introducing over 50 more updates and improvements that make it easier to host and support the changing needs of guests.

As the way people travel changes, so does the way you host. Airbnb is always listening—and we’re absolutely thrilled to share the new tools, products, and programs that you inspired.

Here are some of the most exciting updates:

• AirCover: Top-to-bottom protection, free for every Host—only on Airbnb

• Pricing tools: Pet and short-stay cleaning fees, plus previewing what guests pay 
  • At-a-glance calendar: A simpler, more intuitive design for the desktop app 
  • Translation Engine: Automatic translation of what you write into 62 languages
  • Wifi speed test: Easy verification of the wifi speed at your listing

You can get more details about what’s new in the Resource Center. What feature are you most excited about trying? 

82 Replies 82

@Inna22 Yes it’s nice that Airbnb has added these items that they will cover, but as long as guests still have the very same ability to simply decline a request to pay for damages, and Airbnb is still inclined to also deny a host claim, in effect these additions are pointless. And per below, that indeed has not changed.

If you need to request reimbursement, just start an AirCover request at our Resolution Center. Once you submit your request, we’ll notify your guest about what’s damaged or missing. Your guest then has 72 hours to pay the amount you’re requesting. If they decline to pay the full amount or don’t respond, you'll be able to involve Airbnb Support".

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 

What I like about the new cover is that you can file a claim even if new guests have already checked in. That now makes the 14 day period actually useful and might even help to avoid a revenge review in some circumstances.

Other than that, I don't see how the process has actually changed.

My experience of guest damages fall into two distinct categories:

1. Guest damages something small (breaks a glass or cup for example) and tells you about it. This type of guest will often offer to replace or pay for the item.

2. Guest damages something and doesn't mention it. This type of guest will almost always deny they did it if you ask them about it. Even when it's obvious it couldn't have been anyone else, they sometimes try to blame other guests or say the item was about to break anyway or come up with some implausible story. If you don't drop the conversation, they often become very hostile even if you have not asked them for any money. Most of these types never leave a review, perhaps because they know they are guilty and fear what you will say in your review. You can 100% guarantee that this guest is never going to accept a request for damages if you send one.

So, I agree, the whole process of having to submit a request to the guest first is nonsensical. Of course, the guest should have a right of reply and the host should provide evidence, but the case should go straight to CS. Having to send a request to the guest first is a waste of time and just creates more hostility.

@Huma0 “Having to send a request to the guest first is a waste of time and just creates more hostility.”

Of course. It’s all by very deliberate design, set up to favor guests, and discourage hosts away from making claims. Guests win, stay happy, and will continue to use Airbnb.

No @Airbnb doesn't cover any damage, in my case not only they did not cover anything but they are ignoring all my emails and messages, so please don't put all your hopes on Airbnb. 

Fiona243
Level 10
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

Yet again Airbnb has "upgraded" part of its offering without listening to those who will be most affected by it, the hosts. The chief complaints about the old Host Guarantee were

a) that if the guest refused to pay for damages, then it seemed to be impossible to get Airbnb to pay for the damages, 

b) the customer service staff seem to be poorly trained and often parrot a script rather than actually understanding what happened, and ask for impossible-to-provide "proof" of the damage,

c) there seems to be no repercussions for guests who damage host's property or break house rules, and

d) guest's "revenge" reviews remain on the site with no way for the host to get them taken down.

I have just put in a resolution center request for a guest who has damaged the shower in my property. It will be interesting to see if this is resolved in a more satisfactory manner than previous requests, all of which left me out of pocket in making good the damage caused by guests.

Yep, you said well! My properties got damaged three times and all three times Airbnb refused to help. 

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

I agree with those who are still

worried. Still having to go through the begging process to get damages paid is not right. Waiting 9 days is also nothing to be proud of. Airbnb not securing a real security deposit or authorization on a card… one  that the host can unilaterally charge if needed…  is a mistake. 

This is perpetuating the community of guests who know they can get away without paying extra no matter what they do. 

Guests will avoid paying the pet fee (which was requested for a decade and finally here) by saying it’s emotional support. Other platforms don’t intervene in that debate. 

Airbnb is so scared that hosts charging guests for damage will scare off the guests.  That is the only explanation for keeping this sad situation of drawn out begging for reimbursement in place. On the flip side if hosts were charging guests for damage incorrectly their reviews would immediately solve that problem and put them right out of business.

the fact the deposit is there and could be charged is a totally different dynamic on the competing sites and keeps both host and guest on better behavior in my experiences 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

It's a step in the right direction, but it certainly remains to be seen if the new 'coverage' will be any better than the old coverage.  As someone else said though, if they're going to claim to pay for pet damages, and smoking damage they might, just might, start working a little harder on guest education.  We'll see.  Proof/pudding/devil/details.

Beulah1
Level 5
Mill Valley, CA

It took me over a year to regain super host status from two back-to-back revenge reviews.  One guest brought a seriously contagious baby w chicken pox and I had to have them relocated and the other guests stained a new marble countertop w hair dye.  In each case I made my claim quickly but unfortunately within their review window and they used it to damage me. No matter how much I pointed this out to Airbnb they refused to omit those scores and reviews b c they did not violate their review standards.  I guess they would have had to have profanity in them. It was frustrating stone walling.  It was obvious the guests intended to damage my standing and get away with disgusting behavior.  Airbnb protects the guests no matter what havoc they’ve committed is my experience. And I don’t see any changes here.  I found that the host community complains bitterly about revenge reviews.  I wish Air would train staff to protect hosts when it’s clear they were the victims.

Sunshine9
Level 2
Sunshine Coast, Australia

100% Agree. This is our business. It means nothing to the guest. They should not be able to harm someones business so easily and not be answerable for it.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

I think the vast majority of host and guest would prefer more simple and straightforward policies. As soon as guest reads any of the Airbnb policies they realize there are so many loopholes that it means nothing. I think it makes guest more distrustful of Airbnb. Understand that host pay for the entire space to be available, including having in cleaned between guest. As it is now, Airbnb is signaling in every policy to contact both host and customer service to try and badger them for lower rate or simply don't bother to read any of it and complain about things or try and get discounts for things clearly stated in very brief listing. I think the really popular listings book up far in advance but the changes Airbnb keep making it harder for host to keep their place booked, and create more work and stressful situations. Adding the pet fee option is a move in the right direction, however, how is it that host can't even ask the guest if they have a ESA but if the same non disclosed ESA causes damages host have to first ask the same guest to pay for the damages? I can only suppose that more superhost have migrated to booking sites that have clear policies and makes it easier, not harder, for host to manage their listings. Airbnb has become a verb, but talk to anyone and every community considers Airbnb to be strangers with bad intentions from the countless news events. Host, guest and entire community can be very distrustful of Airbnb and I think Airbnb should make it a priority to restore some credibility and trust. I think they should make it more simple. Read the listing. Agree to the rate. Is it a legal listing? Has both host and guest ID been verified? Did the host deliver on the listing. No pets means no pets except service animals, cancelation policy should be as stated, cleaning fee as stated. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @John5097 and all,

I wanted to let you know that our policy had been updated to honour your concerns, giving you more control over pet fees. You can find more information here. 

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Ravi329
Level 2
Sunnyvale, CA

Is there any definitive answer one way or another if AirCover covers lost revenue due to a long term squatter? That's the main thing preventing us from hosting more long term guests

@Ravi329 

Good point. I am very concerned when I have a long term guest get ‘tenant rights’ status (via state law) after 30 days and originally would ask them to leave for a day every 30 days! I’m not sure if it being a vacation rental is consequential in the eyes of the law. Now, I’ve simply looked at reviews and the person themselves yet still nervous if someone books 34 days….so far so good. Vacationing guests are just looking for winter respite and been good. It would be nice if this was clear depending on which state you are in. Otherwise, I may decide to have them leave for a day….to break the time up and keep it short term in the eyes of the law. 

Are these features launched or when will they be? 

I'm excited about the pet fee upgrade because going through the resolution center is a pain and requires manual attention versus being automated. But I don't see this as an option when I go to adjust my listing pricing/fees.

Also not seeing the wifi testing feature anywhere to use.

Wanting to test these features out!