Introducing Superhost Week

Laura_C
Ex Airbnb
Ex Airbnb
Redwood City, CA

Introducing Superhost Week

Hi everyone,

Let me take a second to introduce myself: I’m Laura Chambers, and I lead the team at Airbnb that’s dedicated to helping hosts like you succeed. (You might remember me from the most recent Host Q&A.) I’ve been a fan and engaged user of Airbnb for a long time, but since I officially joined the team here in July, one thing has become even more clear to me: It’s the wonderful community of hosts that makes Airbnb so special.

Within the Airbnb hosting community, we’re particularly appreciative of Superhosts. As 2018 draws to a close, we wanted to do something special to celebrate them. So today,  I’m thrilled to announce that we’re kicking off an exciting new event for the first time ever: Superhost Week!

Congratulations to those of you who are Superhosts. It’s such a huge achievement. Airbnb’s community is powered by great hospitality and trust, and you exemplify that spirit and excellence. It should be no surprise that Superhosts earn about 22% more on average*—guests really value your hospitality.

This week will be full of celebrations and recognition. Here’s what Superhosts can expect:

• A personalized gift: If you’re a Superhost, check your inbox. We hope you’ll enjoy the custom map you just received, highlighting your own journey as a host with Airbnb.

• Marketing to guests: This week, Superhosts will be featured at the top of Airbnb’s home page, giving Superhosts more visibility to the millions of people who visit Airbnb each day. Here’s what they’ll see:

If guests are curious and click to learn more, they’ll go to a brand new web page where we’re showcasing Superhosts. This page will help them better understand the Superhost badge icon on your listing, as a symbol of the amazing hospitality you provide.

Guests-facing landing page image.png

• Social celebration: Throughout the week, we’ll be highlighting some extraordinary Superhosts on social media channels. Check it out and follow along here:

I hope you enjoy this week of celebration! We’re committed to continually improving the Superhost program, and some changes are already underway. For example, we just introduced new criteria to ensure that hosts who host longer stays have fair access to becoming Superhosts. I’d love to hear your ideas for what we can do to make the program even better. Let me know your suggestions in the comments below. I’ll be checking in throughout the week.

Congratulations again to those of you who are Superhosts. Thanks for everything you do— and happy hosting!

Laura

*Based on internal Airbnb data comparing median aggregate revenue earned by Superhosts to other hosts (with 10+ bookings) on the platform worldwide during 2017.

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

525 Replies 525
Judy318
Level 3
Canmore, Canada

Many thanks for all of your help and listening to the hosts.  This week sounds exciting and I will look forward to what is offered.

Daniel-Rusteen0
Level 10
California, United States

This is great! Will we get any special perks to the next AO? When will that be?

Gary251
Level 2
Ruthin, United Kingdom

Thanks to Airbnb for making us superhosts ! had a really busy year and joining the Airbnb comunity has been the best desicision I made in recent years ,and becoming a superhost was a real proud time ! may we wish the whole community  a Huge" Nadolig Llawen and Blwyddyn Newydd dda! " as we say here in Wales at this time of year [merry Christmas and happy new year ] and a massive thank you "Diolch yn Fawr " to Airbnb

Suvd0
Level 2
Kharkhorin, Mongolia

Many thanks for your help and offering 

I.m very happy to work with AIRBN 

Beth309
Level 1
Purcellville, VA

Thanks for promoting the Superhosts. I look forward to the week ahead and meeting other Superhosts. 

Adrian42
Level 10
North Vancouver, Canada

Thanks for helping those hosts who go above and beyond to give their guests a great experience.

However, you state " For example, we just introduced new criteria to ensure that hosts who host longer stays have fair access to becoming Superhosts" - please can you elaborate exactly what those changes are as it's stated the new criteria has been introduced but my own personal Progress page still shows the same Superhost criteria ?

Many thanks

Adrian

Susan905
Level 2
Helensburgh, United Kingdom

I was interested in this too and have found the following: "Superhosts have hosted at least 10 stays in the past year or, if they host longer-term reservations, 100 nights over at least 3 stays. Your guests can feel confident staying with an experienced host"

Adrian42
Level 10
North Vancouver, Canada

Thanks Susan I see you get this info by reviewing the guest portal for Superhost then click through on 'more info' which takes you through to the original Host Superhost portal which has been updated on this.

@Susan905 - this is right, thanks for sharing with everyone.

--------------------

This is such good news for me! I began hosting in July and have enjoyed every minute! I love meeting people from all walks of life and was very proud to become a Superhost within 4 months! Last month I received a letter from our local City informing me that I was in violation of the allowed Short Term Rental jurisdiction. We are only a few blocks outside the boundaries on the map!  I was devastated to say the least. The city informed me going forward I was only allowed 30 day stays. I realize I should have done a little more research on the boundaries. At least now I will have the opportunity to keep my status as a Superhost with the new rules. Maybe we will see long term stays promoted on the Airbnb sight in the near future as well as Superhosts!

I am finding this frustrating too.  What/where is the new criteria???

Adrian42
Level 10
North Vancouver, Canada

Hi John.

Bizarrely since they are shouting about the new criteria for hosts it's not actually mentioned on the brand new webpage they are providing ?!   Anyway, using their new page you can click Review Full Criteria this takes you to the original Superhost page which does now mention the two criteria types

I wonder if this new criteria automatically kicks in if you have not hosted 10 groups in the last year, or if it only kicks in if the host has a min night stay of 28+ nights ? 

Hey @Adrian42! Thanks for your note. We have also updated the host-facing Superhost page (I only linked to the new guest-facing one in my note above). Sounds like you found it, but if others are interested you can find the new host-facing page here.  To answer your question - it automatically kicks in, you don't need to state a minimum stay. Also - it should be updated in your personal progress page (it is also launching today). Happy Superhost week! ~Laura

--------------------

Hi Laura,

What about those of us who have regular guests every week? I'm taking a hit on my numbers because my guest can't be expected to comment every week.

She also did try to comment for me today and she said she recieved the below email:

"Hey got some email to review you but couldn't open it says to ask sender to use a new format".

She is a very busy traveling nurse and doesnt have time to figure out new procedures.

Help! My business is growing because of the super host status and I would hate to lose it due to an algorithm.

Thanks 🙂