Introducing Superhost Week

Laura_C
Ex Airbnb
Ex Airbnb
Redwood City, CA

Introducing Superhost Week

Hi everyone,

Let me take a second to introduce myself: I’m Laura Chambers, and I lead the team at Airbnb that’s dedicated to helping hosts like you succeed. (You might remember me from the most recent Host Q&A.) I’ve been a fan and engaged user of Airbnb for a long time, but since I officially joined the team here in July, one thing has become even more clear to me: It’s the wonderful community of hosts that makes Airbnb so special.

Within the Airbnb hosting community, we’re particularly appreciative of Superhosts. As 2018 draws to a close, we wanted to do something special to celebrate them. So today,  I’m thrilled to announce that we’re kicking off an exciting new event for the first time ever: Superhost Week!

Congratulations to those of you who are Superhosts. It’s such a huge achievement. Airbnb’s community is powered by great hospitality and trust, and you exemplify that spirit and excellence. It should be no surprise that Superhosts earn about 22% more on average*—guests really value your hospitality.

This week will be full of celebrations and recognition. Here’s what Superhosts can expect:

• A personalized gift: If you’re a Superhost, check your inbox. We hope you’ll enjoy the custom map you just received, highlighting your own journey as a host with Airbnb.

• Marketing to guests: This week, Superhosts will be featured at the top of Airbnb’s home page, giving Superhosts more visibility to the millions of people who visit Airbnb each day. Here’s what they’ll see:

If guests are curious and click to learn more, they’ll go to a brand new web page where we’re showcasing Superhosts. This page will help them better understand the Superhost badge icon on your listing, as a symbol of the amazing hospitality you provide.

Guests-facing landing page image.png

• Social celebration: Throughout the week, we’ll be highlighting some extraordinary Superhosts on social media channels. Check it out and follow along here:

I hope you enjoy this week of celebration! We’re committed to continually improving the Superhost program, and some changes are already underway. For example, we just introduced new criteria to ensure that hosts who host longer stays have fair access to becoming Superhosts. I’d love to hear your ideas for what we can do to make the program even better. Let me know your suggestions in the comments below. I’ll be checking in throughout the week.

Congratulations again to those of you who are Superhosts. Thanks for everything you do— and happy hosting!

Laura

*Based on internal Airbnb data comparing median aggregate revenue earned by Superhosts to other hosts (with 10+ bookings) on the platform worldwide during 2017.

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

525 Replies 525
Crystal366
Level 2
Wasilla, AK

Hi Laura,

While the superhost stuff is great, I would like to know more about what @Sharon428 asked with VRs now competing with hotels on Airbnb.  Do hotels lose superhost status if they refuse a booking with a guest that decides to have a party at their hotel for unsupervised 14-year-olds for 2 days like we do? 

I just had a woman instant book with me for that reason.  I asked her if she intended the party at my home (I don't allow parties) she made it sound like she wasn't.  Guess what?  If I cancelled her reservation I get penalized with low ratings.  She did have a party out my house with no adults.  If that happened in a hotel, the cops would be there kicking everyone out, no questions asked, no penalties to the hotel.  Not us hosts.  We don't have the money to absorb personal loss like a hotel.  We take a lot of financial, legal, and rating risks in hosting.  We should be on equal playing fields with ratings at least. 

I would also like to have some feedback to me, as the host, when a guest gives me lower than 5 on anything.  I can reach out to them individually, but it would be helpful, if a company really wants to improve, to know HOW to improve.  After all, no one can change if you don't know what to change.

I look forward to your feedback on the hotel question, Laura. 

Thank you!

Crystal