Laura's Letter: Superhost Week 2018 recap

Laura_C
Ex Airbnb
Ex Airbnb
Redwood City, CA

Laura's Letter: Superhost Week 2018 recap

February 7, 2019

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to all of you who achieved or maintained your Superhost status in the January assessment. It’s an awesome accomplishment. Thank you for continuing to set a wonderful standard for hospitality in our community.

Your commitment to excellence inspires me, and that’s why it was such a thrill to help create and launch Airbnb’s first ever Superhost Week in December. It was a chance to highlight all of you to our guests and to celebrate and recognize everything you do. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Here are a few highlights:

• Social spotlight: We filled Airbnb’s social-media channels for the week with Superhost stories and profiles, and the response was fantastic. More than 7 million people engaged with the content on Facebook, including this video of Superhosts James and In Ja, of Hollywood, California. Dan, of "Danville," Florida was featured in our most-watched video on YouTube. And on Twitter, Superhost story tweets were seen by more than a million users.
  • Marketing to guests: Superhosts were featured in a banner at the top of Airbnb’s home page to give Superhosts more visibility. More than 8.8 million people saw the banner, and more than 160,000 people saw our brand new guest-facing web page. The page gives guests a better understanding of what the Superhost badge icon on your listing represents: the amazing hospitality you provide!
  • Updated Superhost page: We also made changes to our Superhost page, to make it easier for you to learn about and take advantage of your rewards.
  • New long-term hosting policy: We introduced new criteria to ensure that those of you who host longer stays have fair access to the program. Before, hosting 10 stays was the only way hosts could qualify for Superhost status; now, hosts can qualify if they host 10 stays or if they host 100 nights with a 3-stay minimum. These changes seemed to resonate well with hosts. I was pleased to see responses like this one, from host Gilles, of France, in the Community Center: “Thank you for taking into account the requests of long-term hosts to allow them to access Superhost status. Thanks to Airbnb for listening to the needs of the hosts and coming back with new strategies to meet their needs.”
  • Community Center interaction: That brings me to my own favorite part of the week: getting to interact with hosts from around the work in our Community Center! I wrote a letter in our Community Center at the start of Superhost Week, and more than 45,000 hosts read it, and there were more than 1,400 comments. We’ve read each and every one, and during Superhost Week, I had the chance to respond and chat with many of you. Thanks to all of you who sent suggestions and ideas. We’ll be looking to you for inspiration as we continue to improve the Superhost program.

Congratulations again to those of you who are Superhosts. We appreciate all you do— and so do Airbnb guests. In fact, over one of Airbnb’s busiest nights of 2018, one out of every three Airbnb guests were staying with Superhosts! That’s a testament to how much Superhosts help power the Airbnb community. Thank you.

Happy hosting!
Laura

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

361 Replies 361

Hi to all superhosts world wide. I’m from Perth, W Australia. A question for all , does everyone have CO2 monitor? Building regulations here don’t require it as far as I know I have no idea what one looks like . 

Cesar130
Level 2
Cebu City, Philippines

Cesar

From Cebu, Philippines

Congratulations to all superhosts. Just one question: what does level  1 or 2 mean?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Cesar130,

Welcome to the Community Center. Congratulations on being a Superhost. 

In regards to the levels, you can see here. There are based on your activity in the Community Center, ie. number of posts shared, thumbs up, most helpful answers etc. Everyone who arrives in the Community Center starts at level 1 and this then moves up. 

I hope this helps. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Cesar,  I was in Cebu in October last year - loved it!  Gorgoeous part of the world! 

Congratulations and cheers, 

Catherine

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Julia353

Lovely to meet you. Thank you for being such a great host. 

Just to let you know, you can actually apply for a free smoke and carbon monoxide dector on Airbnb's Home Safety page

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

THANK YOU for letting us know about the carbon mon/smoke alarm detector offer! I appreciate it! Just ordered. Onward and upward! Adelle

Jacqui111
Level 2
Wormelow, United Kingdom

@Julia353 wrote:

Hi to all superhosts world wide. I’m from Perth, W Australia. A question for all , does everyone have CO2 monitor? Building regulations here don’t require it as far as I know I have no idea what one looks like . 

Jacqui111
Level 2
Wormelow, United Kingdom

Hi in the U.K. they look just like smoke alarms and you can get combined ones 

diy superstore sell them and they are readily available on line 

they are recommended for all properties here even ones with open fireplace , log burner heating 

they are about £15 maximum and can get battery operated ones 

hope that helps 

happy hosting 👩‍🚒

I mean CO , not CO2 🤣. Have received a message from AirBnB to say they provide them for free. That’s excellent . Thank you 

Hi I am Jacquie from Somerset in England. I love hosting and am glad I am a super host, it is worth making the extra effort. Congratulations to all you other superhosts 

Huw-Derfel0
Level 1
Bethesda, United Kingdom

If you have a gas stove /fire /log burner/coal fireor any such appliance that could leak co (carbon monoxide )into any living space or sleeping area you should have one

I have none of those 

Hi Julia. I’m JJ from Manly Sydney Australia. You can pick up a CO2 monitor from Bunnings. It’s similar to our smoke detector. Hope that helps. 🙂 

Hi Julia, Don't have CO2 monitor, but do have CO (carbon monoxide) alarm. This made by FireAngel and is about 3x4xl inches. Battery operated.

CO kills, CO2 just makes you breathe harder.

Nigel (superhost in England)

Thanks. I’m getting a free  one from Airbnb. We have to have smoke detector hardwired into our homes in WA, but nothing so far for CO. I’m be all set shortly 👌