Make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature

Airbnb
Official Account

Make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature

What brings you to the area? Who are you coming with? When do you think you’ll arrive? Airbnb hosts have a number of questions swirling through their minds when they receive a booking. And many hosts take the opportunity to get to know their potential guests by asking these questions before guests book instantly. It’s not required, of course; but, adding questions to a pre-booking message can help drum up more information about potential guests, simplify the booking process, and ensure a great relationship with guests from the start.

Next month, Airbnb is launching an improved feature: pre-booking message. It’s a better way for hosts to add a greeting and ask all of the questions you want before guests book instantly. (You’ll have plenty of room, too, because we’ve increased the character count. And if you currently use welcome message, there’s no need to change anything.) Your potential guests will read your message while they’re booking, and be able to respond to your questions before confirming their reservation.

Here are some ways to make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature.

5 pre-booking message tips from fellow hosts

1. Start by thanking your potential guest

“I think it's a good way to build trust and a way to encourage a good stay,” said host Juan, of Colombia.

• I always thank them for their booking request and ask them to ensure they have read the listing details and house rules carefully for suitability.—Kath, Albany, Australia
  • Warm greetings! I welcome you to this space that I take care of with affection. It’s a place of well-being and for those of you who like to connect with nature.
    • What brings you to this area?
    • Who are you traveling with?
    • What time do you think you will arrive?
    • Why do you want to stay in the cottage?"—Juan, Medellín, Colombia
  • We're excited for your stay and we’d like to know:
    • What's bringing you to Durham?
    • What time can we commit with you for check in?
    • Who is traveling with you?
    • If you plan on taking breakfast with us, do you have any dietary considerations we need to be aware?
  • Do you have any questions about the House Rules? We look forward to hearing from you!—Alice + Jeff, Durham, North Carolina, U.S.A.

2. Ask about what’s most important

Think about the one thing that would make a great (or not-so-great) stay for you and your guests, and ask them about it in your pre-booking message, like these hosts do:

• The most important question for me is: What brings you to the area? This helps me better prepare for their visit. If they are coming to visit a destination two hours away from my town, I want to help them understand the distance and the drive time. If they are coming to celebrate an anniversary or something special, I want to congratulate them and leave them something small. If they are coming for a local event, I might give them a tip or recommend a good place for dinner afterwards.—Emilia, Orono, Maine, U.S.A.
  • I ask them what time they are arriving (super important) and reiterate my earliest check-in time, adding that every Airbnb is different and not like a hotel.—Ange, New York, New York, U.S.A.

3. Invite guests to re-read the listing and House Rules

When writing your pre-booking message, take the opportunity to remind guests of any crucial listing details they may have missed. “I put myself in the guest’s shoes,” French host Marie Line said. “Sometimes we are so happy to have found the apartment of our dreams that we hurry to reserve it—I once booked an apartment without realizing sheets weren’t provided! So, I think if the hosts had invited me to read their listing again, I wouldn't have made that kind of mistake." Other hosts offer these suggestions:

• I remind them about the three floors with no elevator, which some people have discovered when they arrive!—Beatrice, Annecy, France
  • I warn them about the potential lack of water at night due to limited service in the area and offer to collect water if they need it.—Juan, Medellín, Colombia
  • I ask them if they understood that I live in an inner city area that can be scruffy in parts.—Helen, Bristol, England
  • I ask them if they understand the apartment setting and clear the view with them, as we have both lake- and garden-view apartments.—Ana, Ohrid, Macedonia
  • I also remind them of the house rules regarding no smoking, no pets, no parties and no more than six people allowed to stay at the property. I explain that this information will help me determine if our listing is a good fit for their group.—Linda + Richard, San Antonio, Texas, U.S.A.

4. Get to know your guests

To customize your hospitality and let guests know you care, hosts recommend asking questions like these:

• I ask if they are coffee drinkers—medium or dark roast—and if they are, I pick up some freshly-roasted coffee prior to their arrival. If there is any construction happening in the neighborhood, I disclose it prior to accepting the booking. If guests are bringing a car, I discourage it because of parking restrictions, cost, and traffic. Finally, I mention our No. 1 tourist attraction and tell my guests to buy a ticket at least 2 months in advance. This way, they realize I'm thinking of their needs even prior to their arrival.—Donna, San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
  • Every time I book, I ask the guests the same questions and about children: What time will you arrive? How many beds do you want? Do you need a cot or high chair?—Jean-Pierre, Monès, France
  • We live in a small farming and tourist town, so I always ask guests if they have been to our town before. If not, I will offer some info on restaurants and hours of operation as well as local amenities. I always help guests plan their activities if needed.—Daphne, Montagu, South Africa

5. Showcase your hosting style

Some hosts ask a lot of pre-booking questions while others ask none. Hosts recommend reflecting your hosting style—whether it be laid back or strict—when you’re asking questions in your pre-booking message. This will also help guests determine if it’s the right fit:

• I ask no questions at all. I would feel very inconsiderate if I asked the purpose of the trip. Since the guests do not live with me in an apartment, it is none of my business.—Ilona, Torremolinos, Spain.
  • Most of my guests are pretty informative in their booking request, but if their initial message is brief, I'll ask these mandatory questions:
    • Have you thoroughly read through the entire listing description, scrolling through to the bottom to read House Rules?
    • Are you prepared to abide by the house rules and be respectful of the accommodation?
    • Have you asked any questions you may have before committing to a booking?
    • Do you understand the importance of communicating your ETA and if you for some reason can't arrive at that time, will you please let us know in a timely manner?
    • Will you thoroughly read your itinerary after your booking is confirmed, making sure dates and number of guests are correct and noting door codes and other arrival information?—Sarah, Sayulita, Mexico
  • I don't like to bombard a guest with questions in my first communication, although I totally understand hosts who may want more info. The only thing I request is the full names of all guests (including doggy guests!). It's been my experience not to be necessarily concerned or worried about guests who don't volunteer more info—different people have different communication styles.—Suzanne, North Carolina, U.S.A.

Once you’ve saved your pre-booking message, potential guests will automatically receive it when they use book instantly. Creating a pre-booking message once will help simplify the booking process, give you more peace of mind, and let guests know they have a wonderful stay ahead.

282 Replies 282
Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Airbnb   Since you took the time to make this rather lengthy post, I assume that the pre-trip questions are supposed to be still active and visible to guests.   There have been several threads in this forum in the past, discussing this subject.  Numerous hosts have said that their questions were no longer there, while others said that theirs were still visible.

My last four guests have not responded to the questions at all --yet they were able to instant book.  This leaves me having to follow up and ask the guest to please respond.  My most recent guest was unable to locate the questions at all. 

Why are guests allowed to instant book without answering the questions when they are supposed to be part of the booking process?

Often, guests do not bother reading the listing description.  In our case, we have had numerous guests who were surprised at the presence of cats on the premises--something that my listing makes very clear.  The pre-trip questions are vital, because I ask the guest to acknowledge that they are aware that there are cats on the property and that our guesthouse may not be well suited to those with allergies.

I ask that you PLEASE, fix the booking process so guests won't be able to instant book--UNLESS they have responded to the questions.  This can't be so difficult.

Susan1655
Level 5
Puerto Ángel, Mexico

I completely agree with all the above comments. I also want to know before booking if they have any reviews. I had a very unfortunate experience... the only one so fat but NOT pleasant with guests who clearly had not read the description. They were not a good fit at all for my house and were borderline abusive to me and my house managers. So I nudged them to leave offering a refund as a motive to help them find something else. They had instant booked and there were no guest reviews on their profile and they were super hosts!!!  ALSO. Where on the listing do you list the prebook questions? I've never even heard of that. For these reasons I do not use instant book even tho there are constant reminders about how much easier for guests to be able to do so.

Wow that's so wrong when they were Superhosts! Sorry. Not cool. Hope you were able to let them know!😡

Joanne456
Level 1
Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux, France

My worst guests were super hosts too. Strange. It seemed as though they wanted to break the competition and gave me an unjustifiable three stars in everything. Even so I still kept my superhost status thanks to all my aother guests

WOW you too, my worst guest was also a host , not Super,  and now I know ,Why,She was the worst, accused me of speaking to her to often , I thought we would share Ideals and really have a great time, She was so unpleasant for a host I was shocked, and I was so happy when she left

How strange.  Me too.  My 2 and only less than a 5 star review were from other hosts!

So true...my only 3 star review was from a superhost.  She also rearranged my furniture, changed the filter in my water pitcher and stole an iphone charger.  SMH!!!  I wanted to give her a bad review, but I decided no to write a review at all and her review was made public anyway.

Yes! My worst guests are superhosts as well. 

I'm glad you could keep the super host status!! 

We've been at this for over 15 years and have had thousands of guest stay in our vacation cottages.  We try to stay away from instant book as our cottage can accommodate up to 11 total guests but at most 8 adults.  Ideal is a mix of adults and children.  Instant Book does not accommodate that.  Pre book questions do not help as some will still believe it doesn't mean them.  Turned down a booking for 10 adults  recently.  They would have been unhappy.  If their unhappy we aren't happy.

Karen7
Level 5
Michigan, United States

That is why I am reluctant to instant book. I have people booking the regular way for one guest, when they have family of 6. I have complained about this numerous times to Airbnb to no avail. If I don't accept them, I am getting message after message from Airbnb about why I haven't accepted or declined. If you decline, it is a mark against you. I have asked the person to re-book properly and they act like they don't know what you are talking about. They tie up the reservation for days. Two of these folks later canceled, claiming "medical emergencies". They were  a nightmare and Airbnb fed right into them, acted like I was cruel and heartless when I didn't want to give them a full refund.

That is something that is getting to me as well,  when guests booked your place months in advance for a month then cancel at last minute or few days in with silly things like it's too far to beach when I clearly state it is 2,4km or 1.5 miles away,  and then of course they want a full refund while I have 5 days cancellation policy, because what this does is blocked your place for a long time , meaning losing potential guests 

Cancellations have been a problem for me, a new Airbnb host.  To date I've had 76 reservations.  Of those, 13 have canceled.  Each wants a full refund for whatever is their reason.  I started with the most guest friendly cancellation policy.  I've advanced to the STRICT cancellation policy.  The guests tend to think of their cancellation as they would if canceling with a brand name Hotel/Motel.  That cancellation for the Hotel is a minor percentage loss in income.  For me, it's major.  When a guest books 90 days in advance, and then cancels inside of a month before their arrival date, I've lost a large audience that can't book the canceled dates because it wasn't available when they were looking.  So they've booked elsewhere.  My policy is now Strict.  I tell the canceling guest that I will send them a refund if the dates are re-booked.  And I do just that.  If the canceled booking was for 4 days, and I re-book 2 of those days, I send them a check for the re-booked dates, up to but not exceeding the amount the first guest paid.  This has worked very well.  It puts me and the initial guests in the same position. 

James, cancellations are a problem.  Not that I have that many and if it seems like a valid reason I'm ok with that.  But the fact is that if your site shows the date they want is booked they are not going to look at your site again for the same date. 

Mona