Make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature

Airbnb
Official Account

Make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature

What brings you to the area? Who are you coming with? When do you think you’ll arrive? Airbnb hosts have a number of questions swirling through their minds when they receive a booking. And many hosts take the opportunity to get to know their potential guests by asking these questions before guests book instantly. It’s not required, of course; but, adding questions to a pre-booking message can help drum up more information about potential guests, simplify the booking process, and ensure a great relationship with guests from the start.

Next month, Airbnb is launching an improved feature: pre-booking message. It’s a better way for hosts to add a greeting and ask all of the questions you want before guests book instantly. (You’ll have plenty of room, too, because we’ve increased the character count. And if you currently use welcome message, there’s no need to change anything.) Your potential guests will read your message while they’re booking, and be able to respond to your questions before confirming their reservation.

Here are some ways to make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature.

5 pre-booking message tips from fellow hosts

1. Start by thanking your potential guest

“I think it's a good way to build trust and a way to encourage a good stay,” said host Juan, of Colombia.

• I always thank them for their booking request and ask them to ensure they have read the listing details and house rules carefully for suitability.—Kath, Albany, Australia
  • Warm greetings! I welcome you to this space that I take care of with affection. It’s a place of well-being and for those of you who like to connect with nature.
    • What brings you to this area?
    • Who are you traveling with?
    • What time do you think you will arrive?
    • Why do you want to stay in the cottage?"—Juan, Medellín, Colombia
  • We're excited for your stay and we’d like to know:
    • What's bringing you to Durham?
    • What time can we commit with you for check in?
    • Who is traveling with you?
    • If you plan on taking breakfast with us, do you have any dietary considerations we need to be aware?
  • Do you have any questions about the House Rules? We look forward to hearing from you!—Alice + Jeff, Durham, North Carolina, U.S.A.

2. Ask about what’s most important

Think about the one thing that would make a great (or not-so-great) stay for you and your guests, and ask them about it in your pre-booking message, like these hosts do:

• The most important question for me is: What brings you to the area? This helps me better prepare for their visit. If they are coming to visit a destination two hours away from my town, I want to help them understand the distance and the drive time. If they are coming to celebrate an anniversary or something special, I want to congratulate them and leave them something small. If they are coming for a local event, I might give them a tip or recommend a good place for dinner afterwards.—Emilia, Orono, Maine, U.S.A.
  • I ask them what time they are arriving (super important) and reiterate my earliest check-in time, adding that every Airbnb is different and not like a hotel.—Ange, New York, New York, U.S.A.

3. Invite guests to re-read the listing and House Rules

When writing your pre-booking message, take the opportunity to remind guests of any crucial listing details they may have missed. “I put myself in the guest’s shoes,” French host Marie Line said. “Sometimes we are so happy to have found the apartment of our dreams that we hurry to reserve it—I once booked an apartment without realizing sheets weren’t provided! So, I think if the hosts had invited me to read their listing again, I wouldn't have made that kind of mistake." Other hosts offer these suggestions:

• I remind them about the three floors with no elevator, which some people have discovered when they arrive!—Beatrice, Annecy, France
  • I warn them about the potential lack of water at night due to limited service in the area and offer to collect water if they need it.—Juan, Medellín, Colombia
  • I ask them if they understood that I live in an inner city area that can be scruffy in parts.—Helen, Bristol, England
  • I ask them if they understand the apartment setting and clear the view with them, as we have both lake- and garden-view apartments.—Ana, Ohrid, Macedonia
  • I also remind them of the house rules regarding no smoking, no pets, no parties and no more than six people allowed to stay at the property. I explain that this information will help me determine if our listing is a good fit for their group.—Linda + Richard, San Antonio, Texas, U.S.A.

4. Get to know your guests

To customize your hospitality and let guests know you care, hosts recommend asking questions like these:

• I ask if they are coffee drinkers—medium or dark roast—and if they are, I pick up some freshly-roasted coffee prior to their arrival. If there is any construction happening in the neighborhood, I disclose it prior to accepting the booking. If guests are bringing a car, I discourage it because of parking restrictions, cost, and traffic. Finally, I mention our No. 1 tourist attraction and tell my guests to buy a ticket at least 2 months in advance. This way, they realize I'm thinking of their needs even prior to their arrival.—Donna, San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
  • Every time I book, I ask the guests the same questions and about children: What time will you arrive? How many beds do you want? Do you need a cot or high chair?—Jean-Pierre, Monès, France
  • We live in a small farming and tourist town, so I always ask guests if they have been to our town before. If not, I will offer some info on restaurants and hours of operation as well as local amenities. I always help guests plan their activities if needed.—Daphne, Montagu, South Africa

5. Showcase your hosting style

Some hosts ask a lot of pre-booking questions while others ask none. Hosts recommend reflecting your hosting style—whether it be laid back or strict—when you’re asking questions in your pre-booking message. This will also help guests determine if it’s the right fit:

• I ask no questions at all. I would feel very inconsiderate if I asked the purpose of the trip. Since the guests do not live with me in an apartment, it is none of my business.—Ilona, Torremolinos, Spain.
  • Most of my guests are pretty informative in their booking request, but if their initial message is brief, I'll ask these mandatory questions:
    • Have you thoroughly read through the entire listing description, scrolling through to the bottom to read House Rules?
    • Are you prepared to abide by the house rules and be respectful of the accommodation?
    • Have you asked any questions you may have before committing to a booking?
    • Do you understand the importance of communicating your ETA and if you for some reason can't arrive at that time, will you please let us know in a timely manner?
    • Will you thoroughly read your itinerary after your booking is confirmed, making sure dates and number of guests are correct and noting door codes and other arrival information?—Sarah, Sayulita, Mexico
  • I don't like to bombard a guest with questions in my first communication, although I totally understand hosts who may want more info. The only thing I request is the full names of all guests (including doggy guests!). It's been my experience not to be necessarily concerned or worried about guests who don't volunteer more info—different people have different communication styles.—Suzanne, North Carolina, U.S.A.

Once you’ve saved your pre-booking message, potential guests will automatically receive it when they use book instantly. Creating a pre-booking message once will help simplify the booking process, give you more peace of mind, and let guests know they have a wonderful stay ahead.

282 Replies 282

I am wondering how you send them the refund check?  I like the idea but thought all refunds had to go through airbnb

Sarah260
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Ask them for their Paypal 🙂

I have refunded money through the Airbnb website when a guest cancels and I get a booking in their place. 

It's nice that we have the option to ask as many questions as we'd like. The two things I like to know in advance are the names of all guests and when they plan on arriving. This way I can make sure my welcome card includes all guests and that it will be on the table when they arrive. If they are celebrating an event I always include a bottle of wine. 

We have both the strict cancellation policy and booking policy. We have had the best results with these 2 features. On special event weekends, national festivals, etc, I have  a 30 day cancellation and other than that, in the peak season I have a 14 day cancellation. Since I went to these cancellation policies, my % of cancellations has gone way down. 

Great idea! If someone else books the spot they once reserved, it is very kind of you to refund their money. And, if they only two of the four days are booked . . . to only give them a refund for two days!

Awesome!

Chad

We do the same thing-offer a full refund for the booked dates. We had a guest book in Jan 2019 for a 3 week stay in July/Aug 2019. They cancelled in May 2019 due to a "family medical emergency" and when we explained that they would have to wait until the end of their reservation (to see of the dates could get booked), they waited until a few weeks before they were due to arrive and presented Airbnb with a doctor's note and they received a full refund. Airbnb caters to the guest, not the host. I will never accept their pre-booking method or apply for the level above a superhost because we lose control of our property and options.

We had a similar experience. The woman requested a stay for ONE guest, but wrote she was coming with husband and 3 children.  When asked to edit her booking, she claimed over and over that she couldn’t figure out how to do this. When she asked what the additional charge would be for 4 additional people she was outraged. I offered to accept one guest free as a discount. She was still angry. Guess what? She herself is a host! Not only that, it was a last- minute booking.

That was a selfish and bad attitude host

I charge for infants. Since Airbnb does not charge for infants, I have made it very clear in both our rules and in my pre-written messages to parents that I will charge them for it.

I have people who do not want to pay for additional people, children or infants, but that is my policy. If they do not change their reservations to reflect additonal people, I go to the Airbnb resolution center and ask for the payment for each day of their stay. If they refuse (which has happened) I ask Aribnb to get involved. I show them how I have these in my policies, my house rules, my introduction and in my correspondence with the individuals who are involved. All this documedntation has solved many disputes in my favor. In fact, I have been paid each time so far. Hope this helps.

-

@Chad162

Thank you, Chad.  I too have been wrestling with this problem. 

I admire your approach. When you have time could you write the step-by-step process that you use going to the resolution center.

For instance do you use the features on the left side of the inbox: send money, or cancel or change reservation? 

Or do you use the resolution center in a way that I am not familiar with? 

Thanks.

-

Hi John,

The most important thing I have discovered is to communicate with Airbnb and the guest early on. If they arrive and there is an extra guest I let them know that we charge $7.00 for each extra guest for each night they are booked for the room. Then I inform by phone the Airbnb staff so they have my info noted in their files. I remind the guest in writing that at the end of their stay I will be billing them for the extra guests and time they had booked the reservation. I let them know what the grand total will be so they are not "shocked!!!!". (There is only a charge for guests past the first two. Infants are considered guests, too!) I let the client know this in my rules and in my manual. 

When it is time to resolve the issue with Airbnb I use "request money". I could be wrong, but I do not think it is "send money". I do not know the anwer for sure, but when you want to send a message to your guest, you scroll down towards the end of that page and you will see these messages for requesting money. The guest has 24 hours in which to respond. If they do not respond, I call Airbnb and ask to speak to someone about resolving the issue. They direct me to the correct page or send me an e-mail link showing me exactly how to proceed.

I have found that it is important to communicate with the client, Airbnb and to put everything in writing so Airbnb does not say . . . "well, the guest had no warning". I hope this helps, Jonn! God Bless!

Chad

This is a great idea!  However, I do wish Airbnb would just count children as extra guests so we wouldn't have to go through these extra steps! The last couple had 4 children and it took 2 of us cleaning for 4 hours to get the apartment clean again.  

I have had this happen several times, one lot knew exactly what they were doing and by the time Airbnb took action and cancelled their booking they only had 1 day left of the booking and they trashed the place before they left, even leaving Poo in the toilet for the cleaner, Airbnb never got anything out of them as they just refused to answer their calls, now I ask how many beds they will require and if its more than 1 bed (2 people) I insist that the booking is changed straight away or I will contact Airbnb immediately, most have just missed that part of the booking and agree to change the booking, but since the sneaky ones I am very weary. 

This problem happens to me regularly as well.  Our place can sleep 11, so for obvious reasons (how many sheets and towels they use, etc), we charge $10 for each guest beyond 2, but I frequently have people requesting for 1 when their parties are actually significantly  larger.  There seems to be no streamlined way to deal with this problem.  If I decline their initial request, I look bad, but if they must cancel and rebook it is apparently complicated at their end, and they risk losing the dates to someone else.  I’m never sure whether this is an honest mistake, or guests are trying to slip in on the cheap.  Can you please figure out a way to make it more obvious to guests during the booking process that it’s important to specify the correct number in their party?