Making reviews more fair for hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Making reviews more fair for hosts

_MG_6520.jpg

Many of you have asked us how Airbnb can protect hosts from one-off bad reviews. When this question came up at the most recent Host Q&A, we told you we were working on ways to make the review process more fair for hosts. Specifically, we made 2 promises:

1. We committed to launching a tool to detect outlier reviews—or one-off bad reviews. A common example is when there’s a discrepancy between the overall rating and the category ratings provided by a guest (when a guest gives a host 5 stars for cleanliness, accuracy, and the other categories but a 2-star rating overall, for instance).
  2. Based on your feedback, we also committed to exploring ways to help guests better understand that the location category rating is meant to be objective. The location category rating doesn’t impact your overall rating (or Superhost status), but we know it’s important to you, and we want to make sure the whole system is as fair as possible.

Today, we’re excited to announce two improvements to the review process that directly address these issues. Since these changes have been introduced, we’ve already noticed a tangible uptick in more accurate, fair reviews for hosts, and we hope they solve some of your pain points. Here’s what’s new:

One-off review alerts

We’ve added a step to the review process for guests when they give a host an inconsistent overall rating. For instance, the guest may have given 4-star or higher ratings for all the categories (cleanliness, accuracy, etc.), but then give an overall rating of less than 3 stars.

The new pop up screen asks guests: “Is this right?” And goes on to explain that they rated their overall stay lower than they rated it in specific categories. It gives guests an option to either change the rating or ignore the alert.

This new alert has led to higher overall review ratings for hosts. Since we launched, we’ve seen a 2.8% drop in 3-star reviews and a 3.9% drop in 2-star reviews. While these percentages may seem small, they’re driving real improvements in the accuracy of our review system, and hosts are benefitting.

Location, location, location

We’ve heard from you that the location rating can be particularly frustrating because some of you have experienced guests dinging you in this category, unexpectedly, after great stays. This category is tricky. It gives valuable information to prospective travelers, which we don’t want to lose. At the same time, we hear your concern that you’re being graded for something you can’t control: guests’ opinion of your location. This opinion is inherently subjective—one person’s “rustic rural retreat” may be another’s “too far from public transportation.” So we made it more clear in the review process that guests are rating the accuracy of your location description, rather than the location itself.

Now, when a guest goes to rate you in the location category, if they give you less than 3 stars, they see an explanation: “Was the listing’s location not described accurately?” So far, this has led to a 0.8% increase in the average rating for location.

While we were working on this, we also made similar improvements to the value category. If a guest gives you less than 3 stars there, they’ll see this message: “What would have made this listing a better value?” This has led to a 0.25% increase in the average rating for value.

These changes were designed to begin to address your concerns around unfair reviews, and to help make sure that guests understand what ratings mean. We still have a journey ahead of us to keep making the review system better, and you’ll continue to see updates from us on this throughout the year. Thank you for hosting!

1,283 Replies 1,283
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Airbnb  thank you for sharing this update.

I'm overjoyed to see some movement and improvement in the right direction.  Getting this element is crucial for the continued loyalty of hosts, especially ones who know their true worth.  I know my true worth and I must say I'm not thrilled at the prospect of receiving continued 4 star reviews because "New Zealand is much larger than guests realise"... it has to stop somewhere.  Guests are running amok.

Whilst I don't believe any system can be idiot proof (someone will simply make a better idiot), I think the obvious changes, like the ones this update is addressing, very much needed to happen. 

I do, however, have some suggestions for additional improvements to the review system...

Changes to solve revenge reviews from last minute guest cancellations

Once a last minute cancellation request is in the hands of Airbnb, there should be no ability for guest or host to review each other automatically.  Allowing a guest to review encourages them to act unethically.  However, I accept that some last minute cancellations are becuase a guest arrives at the property on check-in day to find it is unacceptable. 

To ensure a minimal protection, a benign automated message should be generated against both the host and guest to say "[Host Name] received a last minute cancellation from [Guest Name] on [Date]". 

The reason this approach works is becuase, if all past reviews are positive, future guests will read this automated message as an "opportunity to book", as in "oh yay, the place is free at the last minute! Lets book!".  However, if some or all past reviews are... questionable... or if there are a series of these automated messages in a line... guests will know this isn't a good place to book. 

Likewise, if a host can see a string of these automated messages against a guests profile, it will indicate that this is a guest who cancels often. 

Hence, with this suggestion, both sides of the issue are covered in a fair and reasonable manner.

Changes to solve revenge reviews from resolution centre dispute

When a dispute is escalated through the resolution centre to Airbnb to seek damages, refunds, mid-booking cancellations... anything at all to do with money... an automatic "lock" should be placed on the ability for host or guest to give a review.  This lock should be removed, however, if both host and guest agree to it in advance

The reason this works is because, generally once a disute over money is raised, most often neither guest or host are objective from that point on, even if Airbnb resolve the case. 

On a rare occasion, a guest may cancel their active booking a few days early for perfectly valid reasons.  In that instance, if both host and guest part ways happily, they should have the option of agreeing to an ordinary review, hence remove the lock.

In the instance that neither host nor guest agree to an ordinary review process, however, they should both receive an automated message in their review history similar to one of the following:

1. "[Host Name] received additional funds from [Guest Name] following their stay on [Date]" - or
  2. "[Guest Name] received additional funds from [Host Name] followoing their stay on [Date]" - or
  3. "[Host Name] received funds from Airbnb Host Guarantee following [Guest Name]'s stay" - or
  4. "[Host Name] received funds from Airbnb Host Protection Insurance following [Guest Name]'s stay" - or
  5. "Airbnb were unable to resolve differences between [Host Name] and [Guest Name]"

In the above senario, again if a host or guest have good past reviews, then the automated message will not be taken in the wrong manner, so I believe it is a relatively benign solution to a complex problem.

That's all my brain has for complex problems today...! ❤️

~ Ben

nice point of view

Can airbnb change and delete the wrong reviews??

Hien do
Pat258
Level 3
Glasgow, United Kingdom

How would AirBnB know that the review was wrong?

I think your suggestions need to be seriously considered by Airbnb. Being able to inform in a neutral manner takes all personalities out of the picture. 

Thank you for your thoughtful ideas. 

Ben I’ve been asking Airbnb to remove reviewing after a case is stsrted in the resolution center for three years. I don’t understand how a consonant that has a bevy of metrics, don’t understand human nature. After you ask money from a host or a guest there is no way either can be objective; thus if you start a case neither should leave a review. As soon as you “accuse” or ask for an explanation people become vindictive and defensive; they can help it; it’s natural human nature. I do like the explanations instead of reviews it gives both host and guest insight towards the others humanity or lack thereof. 

@Ben551 wrote:

@Airbnb  thank you for sharing this update.

Changes to solve revenge reviews from resolution centre dispute

When a dispute is escalated through the resolution centre to Airbnb to seek damages, refunds, mid-booking cancellations... anything at all to do with money... an automatic "lock" should be placed on the ability for host or guest to give a review.  This lock should be removed, however, if both host and guest agree to it in advance

The reason this works is because, generally once a disute over money is raised, most often neither guest or host are objective from that point on, even if Airbnb resolve the case. 

On a rare occasion, a guest may cancel their active booking a few days early for perfectly valid reasons.  In that instance, if both host and guest part ways happily, they should have the option of agreeing to an ordinary review, hence remove the lock.

In the instance that neither host nor guest agree to an ordinary review process, however, they should both receive an automated message in their review history similar to one of the following:

1. "[Host Name] received additional funds from [Guest Name] following their stay on [Date]" - or
  2. "[Guest Name] received additional funds from [Host Name] followoing their stay on [Date]" - or
  3. "[Host Name] received funds from Airbnb Host Guarantee following [Guest Name]'s stay" - or
  4. "[Host Name] received funds from Airbnb Host Protection Insurance following [Guest Name]'s stay" - or
  5. "Airbnb were unable to resolve differences between [Host Name] and [Guest Name]"

In the above senario, again if a host or guest have good past reviews, then the automated message will not be taken in the wrong manner, so I believe it is a relatively benign solution to a complex problem.

That's all my brain has for complex problems today...! ❤️

~ Ben

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ben551  Excellent and well-thought out suggestions. Bravo.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

It’s wonderful @Airbnb , to see you working with your partners, the hosts. A good start, which hopefully will see even stronger collaboration on making the review system user friendly and purposely fair. I would also like to thank fellow hosts  @Sarah977 , @Ben551 , @Andrea761  & @Shawna33  for their excellent input to this discussion.

However areas still not being addressed:

1) The retaliation review from a guest who was caught out disobeying serious house rules still needs addressing: the removal of these outlier reviews as well as procedurally, an internal Airbnb investigative look at how that type of guest reviews all hosts. If they are consistent in their negative methodology, then should they be allowed to stay within the Airbnb platform?

2) The Guest who consistently DOES NOT review, should also receive some level of penalty, so that hosts can clearly see this guest as a negative.  If a host chooses not to accept a booking from such a guest this should be penalty free. This “non-reviewing” guest should also be restricted from instant booking, as they are not participating in the Airbnb community requirements.

This is especially an issue for hosts who do not have high rotation or turnover of guests either due to longer stays or shorter rental seasons. These are hobbyist and business risks that can’t be mitigated or controlled by the host, and the resulting outcomes totally affect the host percentages, listing reputation and KPIs.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

There should be some way to provide recourse for those stung by a revenge review- I just had a guest who booked last minute  (last night) cancel today, the day she was meant to arrive- I agreed to give her a full refund to avoid getting a bad review.  She is also from our area, looked teen age young in her profile picture and wanted to "get together with friends" so I'm actually quite  glad she did cancel- probably after realizing that we are on site hosts.

Removing outlier reviews and putting a hold on reviews if a dispute arises are obvious improvements that we are still waiting and hoping for, the guest who ghosts is a different issue. I hate it when a guest, especially one who I've gone over and above for, doesn't do the right thing & I'm a short stay lady with a year round season. What about a blurb from Airbnb on the bookings side of the platform about how reviews from guests keep the community thriving in those special short season places and long stay options?  Sally

Thank you, Sally for speaking about Airbnb. I completely agree with you. I have personally experienced 1 rogue guest(Pavel), checked in September 1, 2019. He books 39 nights with 10 nights for his wife to visit him. After 2 weeks staying, he pressured me to give him deeper discount from 15% to over 20% and not pay for his wife's stay for 10 nights for another 50 nights booking. When I refused to accept his demand, he told me that he would pay me personally but only with 60% discount on his wife's extra guest fee. The guest proceeded to sabotage my home. I reported to Airbnb. Airbnb did nothing. I finally had to make the decision to shorten this guest's stay because I have another group of guests checking in the same day. I want to provide the utmost comfort and safety to my professional guests. Airbnb is looking out for their interest of the paying guests. Sadly, they don't care about the hosts !!! What they don't realize is that the hosts provide products for Airbnb to sell !!!!! Very sad !!!!!

Naturally, the guest gave me an unfavorable review which is abnormal because I have 21- 5 star and 1 – 4 star reviews and no reviews less than these.

Geri26
Level 10
Adelaide, Australia

I've just turned off the instant booking for both my spaces so guests who have rated unfairly cannot book again without my knowledge. My last guest rated my full equipped, full size kitchen, queen bed, private ensuite and own washing facilities with no cleaning fees as 4* value at $65 p/night - seriously!  He also commented that it was dusty behind the headboard - how many people pull out the bed to vacuum in their own homes - which I can't do anyway as it is a Murphy Bed....I am seriously considering adding a  cleaning fee to my bookings to at least combat these type of guests.  Oh, and he failed to mention anywhere in his review that I did not charge him for the extra guest he brought n and the refund he received for cancelling 3 days into his trip for a personal emergency that seem to be able to wait for 48 hours until he got home....

As a host, I would like the option to review booking requests from previous guests if their rating / commens are disproportionate to their personal feedback, but for now, I will stick to review every request from every guest...

Kim418
Level 8
Tasmania, Australia

@@Ben551 ...New Zealand is bigger than guests realise!!!!!! 😂😂😂 5 stars

Lionel107
Level 4
Melbourne, AU

@Kim418 and @Ben87, not only bigger, but the roads are windier!!

It s just a veeeery tiny step in what Airbnb has to fix in the process for being fair to hosts.

In Accepting/Denying a request from a guest, there is less and less info about the guest, so heck why not just open the door and let anyone come in? There s no info a host can go by, so why accept anymore ?

when calling their 1800, after a long wait and a number of clicks to authenticate oneself, the call gets dropped right when you’re about to talk to a real person. Smh

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@@Lionel

@@Kim

No, no, no, our roads here in Auckland , New Zealand are not windier than those in Wellington...😉

Having had a run of guests this year from Australia I'm very pleased that Closer Economic Relations (CER) is working very well in the Airbnb community.

All the best 😊