Making reviews more fair for hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Making reviews more fair for hosts

_MG_6520.jpg

Many of you have asked us how Airbnb can protect hosts from one-off bad reviews. When this question came up at the most recent Host Q&A, we told you we were working on ways to make the review process more fair for hosts. Specifically, we made 2 promises:

1. We committed to launching a tool to detect outlier reviews—or one-off bad reviews. A common example is when there’s a discrepancy between the overall rating and the category ratings provided by a guest (when a guest gives a host 5 stars for cleanliness, accuracy, and the other categories but a 2-star rating overall, for instance).
  2. Based on your feedback, we also committed to exploring ways to help guests better understand that the location category rating is meant to be objective. The location category rating doesn’t impact your overall rating (or Superhost status), but we know it’s important to you, and we want to make sure the whole system is as fair as possible.

Today, we’re excited to announce two improvements to the review process that directly address these issues. Since these changes have been introduced, we’ve already noticed a tangible uptick in more accurate, fair reviews for hosts, and we hope they solve some of your pain points. Here’s what’s new:

One-off review alerts

We’ve added a step to the review process for guests when they give a host an inconsistent overall rating. For instance, the guest may have given 4-star or higher ratings for all the categories (cleanliness, accuracy, etc.), but then give an overall rating of less than 3 stars.

The new pop up screen asks guests: “Is this right?” And goes on to explain that they rated their overall stay lower than they rated it in specific categories. It gives guests an option to either change the rating or ignore the alert.

This new alert has led to higher overall review ratings for hosts. Since we launched, we’ve seen a 2.8% drop in 3-star reviews and a 3.9% drop in 2-star reviews. While these percentages may seem small, they’re driving real improvements in the accuracy of our review system, and hosts are benefitting.

Location, location, location

We’ve heard from you that the location rating can be particularly frustrating because some of you have experienced guests dinging you in this category, unexpectedly, after great stays. This category is tricky. It gives valuable information to prospective travelers, which we don’t want to lose. At the same time, we hear your concern that you’re being graded for something you can’t control: guests’ opinion of your location. This opinion is inherently subjective—one person’s “rustic rural retreat” may be another’s “too far from public transportation.” So we made it more clear in the review process that guests are rating the accuracy of your location description, rather than the location itself.

Now, when a guest goes to rate you in the location category, if they give you less than 3 stars, they see an explanation: “Was the listing’s location not described accurately?” So far, this has led to a 0.8% increase in the average rating for location.

While we were working on this, we also made similar improvements to the value category. If a guest gives you less than 3 stars there, they’ll see this message: “What would have made this listing a better value?” This has led to a 0.25% increase in the average rating for value.

These changes were designed to begin to address your concerns around unfair reviews, and to help make sure that guests understand what ratings mean. We still have a journey ahead of us to keep making the review system better, and you’ll continue to see updates from us on this throughout the year. Thank you for hosting!

1,283 Replies 1,283

Your guests meanwhile are getting a dedicated place in London without obligation. 

Ten trips, or three very big ones, and you will be a Superhost. You earned it.

You may not know how long they will do this for. But you are serving them. Ask for 10 in return. 

José70
Level 5
Lisbon, Portugal

The problem it’s not having a bad review. There is no place on earth that has not had it’s fair share of unhappy guests. You can’t please everyone. The problem is the way Airbnb deals with reviews below 5 stars and the consequences that hosts have to suffer if they get below 4,5. Since the new rating system started, i have seen a huge increase in 4 star reviews regarding my listings. Despite all info available in my listing descriptions, and despite i start by saying that my rooms are basic and standard, i keep getting guests who clearly have very high expectations and very high “hotel criteria standards”, something that i just can’t provide. Overall, a rating system more similar to the one used by Booking.com, for instance, would be more fair. I am sure that some of you will agree with me, other’s won’t. No worries. I respect your opinion, make sure to respect mine. Best of luck to all of you.

Lisa1809
Level 2
Canby, OR

With all of this being said about the rating system and how we get screwed as hosts if we aren't "perfect" doormats, the least airbnb can do is lower the requisite rating for a super host. Some of the things I have read over the past week are appalling and some down right frightening. My heart goes out to those of you who have experienced such trauma with no recourse.

Lorna54
Level 3
Apollo Bay, Australia

I have thought about this update on reviews since it was introduced and had a few nice guests who left the house filthy and didnt obligate to the house rules (quite a common thing ) hence my dilema about reviewing guests when I am 'emotionally charged' and upset by the state they leave the house. 

I think i have actually found a SOLUTION that would limit bad reviews, conflict between host and guest and a clearer understanding of what each expect and ultimately a more DEFINED EXPECTATION FOR THE REVIEW AND STAR RATING SYSTEM .

I understand we all have different expectations , what is frustrating for one might not be so for another , so I would love to see airbnb do a VISUAL (TAILORED BY BOTH HOST AND GUEST) RATING SYSTEM so the communication is CRYSTAL CLEAR. 

EG> 

For me house rules would be 1 STAR deducted for each particular rule not adhered to and guests can see why they recived this > 

1/ TAKING OUT THE RUBBISH
2/ PUTTING ALL THEIR DISHES IN THE DISHWASHER - RINSED
3/ PUTTING ALL USED TOWELS IN THE BASKET PROVIDED NOT LEFT WET ON THE BEDS
4/ NOT LEAVING DIRTY TISSUES / SNACK WRAPPINGS/WINE BOTTLES ON TABLES AND IN BEDROOMS - BUT USING THE BINS INSTEAD !!!
5/ PUTTING ALL USED POTS/ DISHES /GLASSSES/ CUPS IN THE DISHWASHER ---- NOT RINSED OR WORSE PUT BACK IN THE CUPBOARD FOR THE NEXT GUEST TO 'DISCOVER'

So if all were adhered to for example except number for they would receive a 4/5 star rating for this.

EG COMMUNICATION (for me )

1/ ADVISING OF ETA
2/ADVISING OF ANY SPECIAL NEEDS OR REQUEST PRIOR OR DURING THE TRIP - NOT LEAVING IT UNTIL AFTER THE TRIP TO COMPLAIN ON AIRBNB ABOUT NOT HAVING SOMETHING !
3/ ADVISING OF EXTRA GUESTS
4/ ADVISING IF RUNNING LATE (SO I CAN PUT ON HEATERS /LIGHTS AND MAKE THE HOSUE INVITING AND NOT GETTING COMPLAINTS ABOUT IT BEING DARK AND COLD !!! OBVIOUSLY I AM NOT GOING TO BURN MY HEATERS AND LIGHTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY WITH NO ONE IN THE HOUSE )
5/ ADVISING ME WHEN THEY ARE DEPARTING THE HOUSE -

Similarily they are deducated a STAR for each non compliance. 

On a encouraging note I think it would be fair to introduce SUPERGUESTS ... who wouldnt want to host them right ??

I hope this is considered as I really think it would change things 🙂 
Happy Hosting ! 
Richard1265
Level 1
Bondi Beach, Australia

What a joke that Airbnb is addressing unfair reviews! Just recently after receiving this email, a guest gave me a 2 star review. They said my place was dirty! I live there & it is spotless!! They complained about checkin! Maybe they were expecting a concierge to park their car & carry all their baggage in. Maybe, as some other host suggested, they didn’t like my house rules which include cleaning up after themselves in kitchen & bathroom. Note I don’t charge a cleaning fee & do still clean continuously for guests & myself!

And Airbnb had the audacity to pause my listing without even contacting me! I was so upset & am now in the process of phasing Airbnb, preferring flat mates, Facebook, real estate.com, gumtree etc. After I contacted them I was told this review couldn’t be removed & the paused listing had to stay. The whole reason I went with Airbnb is because I thought they would screen people & protect their hosts, this clearly isn’t the case. Very disappointing!

I agree with this entirely. I have just suffered a similar experience and have not been able to sleep since. I also dont feel I can continue using airbnb

Anthony48
Level 7
Miami, FL

It cannot be mentioned enough. Some guests will seek revenge if corrected about anything. Any interaction with a guest about breaking of house rules, or more shockingly showing up lots of extra guests and we do not permit them to enter - these lead to confrontations - of course they are going to get revenge. This needs an APPEAL system. Yes we have 100 5 star reviews, and one straight one star. This brought the average down because that's how math works. Please consider these ideas:

-take both reviews down based on history. It can work both ways. It's funny you call them "outlier" reviews - well if you really believed they were truly "outlier" you would be a bit more sympathetic to our stress.

Finally - I have been shocked that a few white European/Australian guests have dinged us on location, and even left because my block is all black families except for me. Then they lied in the review and to AirBNB.

Kelly332
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

Ratings should never be based on location.  People know wher they are booking within a 1 km basis and book accordingly to where they need to be and price point.  Yes, you might want to be across from Central Park in New York and because you are not - you rate a 2, but your price point for your booking is reflected accordingly.  Why is this even a question for rating?   Its too subjective and not based on the actual Air BnBs information provided and price.  Perhaps a question regarding price point with similar locations would be a better question for rating.

Guests that do not rate = negative penalty - just like I get as a Host.  This actually affect the opportunty for me to be a super host and this is totally not within my control. So, why am I penalized for this?

I am also upset that my ratings are based on the options "you" at Air BnB provide.  I have a 3rd floor apt. in our home but you must enter through our home to get to it.  It is the 1st line on my site, but every 1 out of 3 guests arrives and asks - where is ther private entrance.  When I call Air BnB -I have listed my space as accurately as I can with the options provided by Air BnB, so I get penalized for the lack of clarity Air BnB provides to describe the space.  Clean it up, and stop putting Hosts at the bottom of the gene pool, or may hosts will leave.  There are many other optons out there!  I'm tired of you making money at the expense of my good nature.  

Maria3325
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I welcome this initiative.  I occasionally score 4 or less for location rating.  A lot of the time, the guest do not read the reviews or your descriptions.  They look at the price and book, the room then complain about the location.  I now have a standard message I send. I try to emphasise.  That I live in the suburbs.  Yet, I still get 4 or less for location and an added remark, it not in central London.  My listings does not say Central London.  Its most annoying.

One of my first guest gave me a really bad review.  I was shocked to the core.  After reading it, I  reported the person to Airbnb.  Luckily they removed it.  The comments the person made were not factual, and I could prove it. The person appeared clumsy, so I gave him a reasonably good review.  However months after the visit, I discovered what I had called clumsy was malicious.  I wish I could get my review of the person removed.  As it’s no longer deserving. What I find annoying with the reviewing process is.  If I take the time to write a  review for someone, but they can’t be bothered to do the same, my review gets posted.  I was under the impression that it had to be mutual.  So if the person, didn’t do a review for you, then your review wouldn’t appear. So now I wait. 

I can think of an example where I really didn't deserve 5 star. Guest was working nights next to a very big window with blackout curtains. I was testing out new window hangers and when I went to clean the curtains had all fallen down, subjecting him to intense sunlight while he tried to  sleep. I offered him a free stay but he was in from Poland.  

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

Hola,

Había leído esta entrada hace unos días pero no me atrevía  comentar, pues no domino bien el inglés. 🙂

Hoy he estado trasteando los anuncios de mi ciudad para comparar el precio de mi habitación con las de otros amfitriones (pues he recibido algunas valoraciones bajas en calidad-precio). Resulta que mi habitación, que está en el distrito del Centro, está más barata o al mismo precio que habitaciones de barrios periféricos!!!

Con esto quiero decir que, por un lado me parece bien que la ubicación no se tenga en cuenta para el estatus de categoría Superhost. El Superhost se lo gana la persona, con su talento y trabajo para satisfacer al huésped. Por otro lado, veo injusto que se valore el precio independientemente de la zona, pues los distritos del Centro o cerca de puntos turísticos tienen un alquiler mucho más alto que los de lugares periféricos. Por lo tanto, la variación del precio de los anuncios de un mismo lugar está muy ligada a la ubicación, al mobiliario y el diseño interior.

A.

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Alexandra0 ...

I had a similar expereince with 4 stars for "value" and it actually being because the guest thought airbnb fees were too high.

I did a survey with a single local property listed on 4 platforms and with 2 commercial vacation property managers (that's a lot of exposure folks!).  Airbnb fees WERE the highest of all 6...and that's only what they're charging the guests!

We have no control over what they charge the guest, and with the coombined fees they charge us...is the reason they're multibillionaires. No more grassroots affordable stays...unless we lower our prices to the poiint we barely break even...which is what the suggested "autopricing" is all about.  It's all about getting the booking and they aren;t about to lower thier fees for guests or hosts.

The star system needs to be made VERY CLEAR to the guest BY AIRBNB since they created it.  If it were up to me, I'd have accomplished that long ago, becayuse the lack of clarity is not appreciated by guests either and does everyone a disservice.

Magdalena150
Level 2
Montevideo Department, Uruguay

To begin with we should all (and by all I mean Airbnb and hosts and guests) be aligned with what Airbnb guests seek through Airbnb rentals. Is it JUST AN  AFFORDABLE  PRICE.... or is it a real feel of a local experience in somebody's home? I´m seeing more and more of guests wanting only low prices and Airbnb putting pressure on the lowering of prices regardless of what the offering is.

Of course this point will affect the ratings given. To set an example, I recently got an amazing review, with many positive comments about the whole rental experience the guest had (home, location, hosting, etc) however,  in value, I was not given a 5 star. Now, how inconsistent is that? Guest provides and overall outstanding review but in the end is not sure that what he/she gets is actually worth it?

At the same time, Airbnb sends messages saying that there are many listings out there with lower prices and encourages prices to be lowered. Who is the primary one benefitted in all of this?

As someone else said up there, we are OPENING OUR HOMES TO STRANGERS and if that type of experince is not what guests are ultimately looking for, then it might not be all that worth it.

We are not hotels, we are home owners. And Airbnb should be supportive and appreciative to that.

Other than that, prices do not respond to a quantitive criteria only. Prices depend on much more than just amount of rooms, size or general location. But as long as we all don't agree on the fact that these are homes, that are kindly being set up for guests, we as hosts, will always be on the less convenient side of the story. 

Magdalena150
Level 2
Montevideo Department, Uruguay

Not to mention, I recently had a guest book for a short stay. Since she never got back to me to confirm arrival time and we needed to arrange check in, I wrote her. She responded asking for a refund for her first night because her flight was cancelled they day she was supposed to travel and would be checking in almost 2 days later. Of course I was surprised she had not been in touch earlier and I said so.

In addition to this, she was originally arriving on the last day of the Easter holiday, for which my Easter  rentals were lost because I was not able to offer the whole weekend. 

So I mentioned I was surprised she had not let me know earlier and she had not gotten in touch either because it was me who was contacting her.

She insisted on refund (which was not applicable at that point) and I gave it to her as my options were:

1) a bad review if I didn't

2) have the rental cancelled last minute

Either way, as a host, I was loosing. By then it was too late to offer the Easter holiday as an option and losing that specific rental implied a loss as well.

And those guests circulate regardless of our drawbacks.

Christopher-and-Elisa0
Level 10
Margaret River, Australia

@Magdalena150  I absolutely agree with you regarding people just looking for bargains and those annoying emails from Airbnb trying to pressure you to lower the price. No! I know what I’m offering is good and worth the money. I dare any guest who thinks they didn’t get their money’s worth (and there have been a few) to go and see what they can get for what I get after the Airbnb fees are deducted (or even for the whole amount they’ve paid) out there. If it’s so great why don’t they book there. And yes, we’ve also had people giving 5 stars overall but 4 for value. I don’t get it.

As for your guest - I hope that you have reported her blackmail to Airbnb.