Making reviews more fair for hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Making reviews more fair for hosts

_MG_6520.jpg

Many of you have asked us how Airbnb can protect hosts from one-off bad reviews. When this question came up at the most recent Host Q&A, we told you we were working on ways to make the review process more fair for hosts. Specifically, we made 2 promises:

1. We committed to launching a tool to detect outlier reviews—or one-off bad reviews. A common example is when there’s a discrepancy between the overall rating and the category ratings provided by a guest (when a guest gives a host 5 stars for cleanliness, accuracy, and the other categories but a 2-star rating overall, for instance).
  2. Based on your feedback, we also committed to exploring ways to help guests better understand that the location category rating is meant to be objective. The location category rating doesn’t impact your overall rating (or Superhost status), but we know it’s important to you, and we want to make sure the whole system is as fair as possible.

Today, we’re excited to announce two improvements to the review process that directly address these issues. Since these changes have been introduced, we’ve already noticed a tangible uptick in more accurate, fair reviews for hosts, and we hope they solve some of your pain points. Here’s what’s new:

One-off review alerts

We’ve added a step to the review process for guests when they give a host an inconsistent overall rating. For instance, the guest may have given 4-star or higher ratings for all the categories (cleanliness, accuracy, etc.), but then give an overall rating of less than 3 stars.

The new pop up screen asks guests: “Is this right?” And goes on to explain that they rated their overall stay lower than they rated it in specific categories. It gives guests an option to either change the rating or ignore the alert.

This new alert has led to higher overall review ratings for hosts. Since we launched, we’ve seen a 2.8% drop in 3-star reviews and a 3.9% drop in 2-star reviews. While these percentages may seem small, they’re driving real improvements in the accuracy of our review system, and hosts are benefitting.

Location, location, location

We’ve heard from you that the location rating can be particularly frustrating because some of you have experienced guests dinging you in this category, unexpectedly, after great stays. This category is tricky. It gives valuable information to prospective travelers, which we don’t want to lose. At the same time, we hear your concern that you’re being graded for something you can’t control: guests’ opinion of your location. This opinion is inherently subjective—one person’s “rustic rural retreat” may be another’s “too far from public transportation.” So we made it more clear in the review process that guests are rating the accuracy of your location description, rather than the location itself.

Now, when a guest goes to rate you in the location category, if they give you less than 3 stars, they see an explanation: “Was the listing’s location not described accurately?” So far, this has led to a 0.8% increase in the average rating for location.

While we were working on this, we also made similar improvements to the value category. If a guest gives you less than 3 stars there, they’ll see this message: “What would have made this listing a better value?” This has led to a 0.25% increase in the average rating for value.

These changes were designed to begin to address your concerns around unfair reviews, and to help make sure that guests understand what ratings mean. We still have a journey ahead of us to keep making the review system better, and you’ll continue to see updates from us on this throughout the year. Thank you for hosting!

1,283 Replies 1,283
William318
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

guest see the rooms as advertised tidy and clean they occupy and it looks like a stye , the have the check  to rate cleanciness low . hey the stye is only as clean as those who live in it .   the before and after pics would shock

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I thought in earlier messaging.  Airbnb was implementing the automatic removal of bad, outlier review.  What happened to that? 

That's how they marketed it.

In reality it is nothing of the sort.  It's just that if people leave 5 stars in each category they can't leave a 3 overall.  Too little, too late.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Airbnb  What happened to the idea of removing one review a year, or otherwise taking into consideration anomalous bad reviews, like the listing is a 4.9 and then gets 1 stars across the board?

This should be the new norm.  One in every 20 (or 50 or 80) reviews should be allowed to be removed.

Phil-And-Aquilla0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

None of these changes address the question of the guest who just wants to be bloody minded or the guest who expects 5 star quality but pay a one star price! One bad review with a poor star rating has a disproportionate effect on a host's overall rating!

Guest rents bedroom in a shared space in London for 25 pounds a night.

Then complains there is no kitchen, no minibar,  and has to share the bathroom, gives 3 stars for location (which is clearly described on the listing).  I mean come on!

Arleen4
Level 1
Knoxville, IA

Thank you for working so hard for all of us out here ... Working for all of you there!!!

Teamwork!

Katie---Sean0
Level 10
Carlsbad, CA

Originally I felt strongly that Airbnb should either suspend or end the review process when a Host files a Damages Claim against a Guest. In most cases where a Host files a damages claim, the Guest will then leave a relatiatory bad review even if their experience was good. In reality this means Hosts are often too afraid to open legitimate damages claims. 

However thinking this through some more and looking at it from the Guest perspective, Guests could say that what I’m proposing might give Hosts the power to open fraudulent damages claims with no consequences via the review process.

So I don’t know what the answer is... any ideas? 

I agree with the first part . Once a guest breaks a rule or damage  occurs no review should be left by either party . 

Guests and hosts are very understanding but the review process causes anxiety between hosts and guest and hosts respond by marking low just I case the other party makes them low . 

I she spoke to many guests about this and it is clear that there is a no mental issue delveloping . I call it review anxiety . 

Oh come on!!! 

Anyone with a foot in this business knows that you don't make money by filing fake damage claims!!!

The reality is totally the opposite!  Most hosts let damages slide, because they are afraid of retaliation.  OR as in my case, damages slide because GUESTS HIDE THE DAMAGE so you only find it much after the time for claiming on their deposit!

Examples are:  breaking the switches to the electric blinds and not telling us,  ripping the TV cupboard door completely off its hinges and wedging back into the space and not telling us, letting a wet dog roll on a beige carpet after a trip to the beach - rolling the carpet and placing under the bed so the cleaning staff don't notice and not telling us - breaking a lamp and hiding it in the back of the cupboard behind the extra sheets and not telling is.

@Susan1188 -- I had one guest tell me we were "lucky" that his girlfriend "didn't injure herself" after she used a side table as a step stool, fell off, and broke the legs. Seriously. We were lucky. Right...

@Katie---Sean0  so glad I am not in the USA where you can sue anybody for falling down the stairs, falling off the table you were dancing on, or spilling your coffee in your lap.  How can you do it.

@Susan1188 -- yes it was a very sly and underhand threat to sue if I tried to claim damages. This particular guest was a piece of work.

Zon0
Level 3
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

This sounds great . Big questions will hosts Be able to go back to those problematic reviews that were brought up with Airbnb and correct them ?