Making reviews more fair for hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Making reviews more fair for hosts

_MG_6520.jpg

Many of you have asked us how Airbnb can protect hosts from one-off bad reviews. When this question came up at the most recent Host Q&A, we told you we were working on ways to make the review process more fair for hosts. Specifically, we made 2 promises:

1. We committed to launching a tool to detect outlier reviews—or one-off bad reviews. A common example is when there’s a discrepancy between the overall rating and the category ratings provided by a guest (when a guest gives a host 5 stars for cleanliness, accuracy, and the other categories but a 2-star rating overall, for instance).
  2. Based on your feedback, we also committed to exploring ways to help guests better understand that the location category rating is meant to be objective. The location category rating doesn’t impact your overall rating (or Superhost status), but we know it’s important to you, and we want to make sure the whole system is as fair as possible.

Today, we’re excited to announce two improvements to the review process that directly address these issues. Since these changes have been introduced, we’ve already noticed a tangible uptick in more accurate, fair reviews for hosts, and we hope they solve some of your pain points. Here’s what’s new:

One-off review alerts

We’ve added a step to the review process for guests when they give a host an inconsistent overall rating. For instance, the guest may have given 4-star or higher ratings for all the categories (cleanliness, accuracy, etc.), but then give an overall rating of less than 3 stars.

The new pop up screen asks guests: “Is this right?” And goes on to explain that they rated their overall stay lower than they rated it in specific categories. It gives guests an option to either change the rating or ignore the alert.

This new alert has led to higher overall review ratings for hosts. Since we launched, we’ve seen a 2.8% drop in 3-star reviews and a 3.9% drop in 2-star reviews. While these percentages may seem small, they’re driving real improvements in the accuracy of our review system, and hosts are benefitting.

Location, location, location

We’ve heard from you that the location rating can be particularly frustrating because some of you have experienced guests dinging you in this category, unexpectedly, after great stays. This category is tricky. It gives valuable information to prospective travelers, which we don’t want to lose. At the same time, we hear your concern that you’re being graded for something you can’t control: guests’ opinion of your location. This opinion is inherently subjective—one person’s “rustic rural retreat” may be another’s “too far from public transportation.” So we made it more clear in the review process that guests are rating the accuracy of your location description, rather than the location itself.

Now, when a guest goes to rate you in the location category, if they give you less than 3 stars, they see an explanation: “Was the listing’s location not described accurately?” So far, this has led to a 0.8% increase in the average rating for location.

While we were working on this, we also made similar improvements to the value category. If a guest gives you less than 3 stars there, they’ll see this message: “What would have made this listing a better value?” This has led to a 0.25% increase in the average rating for value.

These changes were designed to begin to address your concerns around unfair reviews, and to help make sure that guests understand what ratings mean. We still have a journey ahead of us to keep making the review system better, and you’ll continue to see updates from us on this throughout the year. Thank you for hosting!

1,283 Replies 1,283
Lorna112
Level 4
Orlando, FL

Are you a host looking to visit the Orlando Disney Universal area?  https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/listings

Winston11
Level 2
Winter Springs, FL

NOT FAIR FROM AIRBNB.   

A guest came for the weekend to Disney Orlando and left 2 starts without mentioned any problems or comments. Automatically Airbnb Paused my unit for 5 days without even asking me anything. I do not think it is fair for Airbnb to just pause an place without researching and contacting the host. When a HOST have 20 straight guests satisfied and 1 is not, I think there is an issue with this guest.

I personally reach the guest by airbnb chat and asked what was wrong to give 2 stars. Guest responded via AIRBNB:

I really apologize. I didn't mean to hit it I swear. You were very polite.  EXACT WORDS. The Airbnb case manager said the guest needs to contact airbnb email or message to take away the 2 stars.

I told the airbnb case mgr you can see the message she wrote and said she did not mean it. Well the case mgr still not  enough and I have to take it.... I also wrote the case manager  few times and express my feelings saying again that why  judgement can be taken and take away the 2 stars. Nothing was done..  

When you travel to a city and the place is noisy and the guest comes from a quiet town and leaves a bad review because of the noise, Then Airbnb pause your place for 5 days due to a person that did not like the noise.. That is NOT FAIR. Airbnb needs to take different approach to these situations when taking a review and AUTOMATICALLY PAUSES A PLACE.

I really like Airbnb and think that all employees are very professionals and handle situations really well. But again this policy of PAUSING AUTOMATICALLY a place just because a guest say so...???

I am not satisfied when there is not a reasonable explanation or decision in a case. Just loose..

@Winston11  -- call Airbnb and start over with a different case manager. In my experience you have a 1 in 6 chance of getting somebody fair, who listens, and will help. If I don't get that person, I call and try again. This is working for me -- it does require patience. Don't message... call. Messages are pointless, either no reply or frustrating and uninformed replies.

Also -- I had a similar situation, a guest left the wrong star rating by mistake. Airbnb told me the same thing, the guest must contact them. Fortunately the guest was willing to do this, and the review was removed. Unfortunately it wasn't corrected to the 5-stars it was supposed to be... it was just removed.

I agree with OP, maybe try to get another case manager.

But in addition, I would also recommend you mention in your listing that noise may be an issue.

Always better to under-promise and over-deliver.  If there is noise in your unit, install double windows, do what you have to do to eliminate it , or make it clear in your listing that you are central located and noise can be expected.

Thank you, Winston for speaking about Airbnb. I completely agree with you. I have personally experienced 1 rogue guest, Pavel Sapronov. He books 39 nights with 10 nights for his wife to visit him. After 2 weeks staying, he pressured me to give him deeper discount from 15% to over 20% and not pay for his wife's stay for 10 nights for another 50 nights booking. When I refused to accept his demand, he told me that he would pay me personally but only with 60% discount on his wife's extra guest fee. The guest proceeded to sabotage my home. I reported to Airbnb. Airbnb did nothing. I finally had to make the decision to shorten this guest's stay because I have another group of guests checking in the same day. I want to provide the utmost comfort and safety to my professional guests. Airbnb is looking out for their interest of the paying guests. Sadly, they don't care about the hosts !!! What they don't realize is that the hosts provide products for Airbnb to sell !!!!! Very sad !!!!!
Naturally, the guest gave me an unfavorable review which is abnormal because I have 21- 5 star and 1 – 4 star reviews and no reviews less than these.

Lee150
Level 4
Philadelphia, PA

I am saying this again. And I do  want to say that this time Airbnb was helpful with a really nasty lying review..Yes call ..

I can say this because I am not in a tourist location.But anyone staying here that is a tourist ..wants a cheap hotel and will complain that pots are dirty because they are old .

I offer something unique..I take animals ..I let people use my kitchen but I also run a test kitchen and am writing a cook book.

I am not a hotel with maid service

Al140
Level 1
Ocean View, New Zealand

Air Bnb. Great work! Noting below there are other concerns I'm sure you will be working on. 
Mine is this. What can be done about already recorded unfair reviews. I had Super-host status and top reviews from 95% on my guests all bar one.  This one person who seemed to on "a pilgrimage of finding herself, caused me to lose my Super-host status in one fell swoop.  Adding to this the fabulous Airbnb staff were unable to do anything about it at the time. I'm wondering has this changed, or is it in the pipeline to be addressed? 
Thanks. Al 🙂 

Tracey149
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Have had this happen to me a few times, guest marks down on a amenity that is not only detailed and photographed multiple times but I also state "please ensure the suite layout and amenities are suitable for you..." I have messaged Airbnb Support multiple times with proof of  listing description and photo's to back up my claim that the guest/s complaints are incorrect.

As a Host, I believe if you can provide proof that the guests complaint/s are as a result of them failing to read the listing. Airbnb should intervene and support the Host. i.e. Guest "marked down as fridge small and no stove top" Host " the kitchenette has a mini fridge and does not have a stove top". Most recently, guest complained that there was a bed in the living area. The listing states this multiple times and with multiple photos showing this. Each time I asked Airbnb Support "what more can I do to avoid complaints and markdowns??". I am still awaiting an answer to this! Where is host protection when you have done your utmost to detail your pride and joy and livelihood 

Do you get all your correspondence on the app?

And do you flag the guest or call CS at the first sign of tension with a difficult guest?

I have found these two things to be determinant as to whether I get a CS support person who has my back or not.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Airbnb lets guest who did not read/look at the listing, complain about amenities that were clearly explained.  The only thing you can do is make it multiply clear many times in your listing, in your IB message, in your amenity limitation, in your "other things to know".

And when you have the first inkling about a guest problem flag them already on the system and direct all correspondence to the airbnb app.

Katie397
Level 1
Caledon, Canada

I think this is great however would airbnb not be able to eliminate a 3 star review when a host consistently has four or five star reviews?  When a guest comes out and writes a review that is so completely different than every other review a host has gotten isn't that a sign?  I don't think it is fair that a guest can rate you two or three and bring your overall average down with that rating.

Chris-and-Yoko0
Level 4
Nerang, Australia

Giving a low star rating for Location , is disgusting. They know exactly where the booking is,so this should be deleted as a rating review subject.

People who invest in 5 star city center location, have higher rent and need to ask  more expensive and for a reason - rent is higher!  Indeed if a guest books your budget place and location is clear he should be aware of where he is booking.

Chris-and-Yoko0
Level 4
Nerang, Australia

Giving a low star rating for Location , is disgusting. They know exactly where the booking is,so this should be deleted as a rating review subject.

Nina444
Level 3
Mytholmroyd, United Kingdom

It's obvious that some people leave outlier reviews either to get refunds, to harm hosts or as revenge reviews if they know they've overstepped the mark. Airbnb could resolve this quite simply. If Ebay can remove reviews, so can Airbnb.

This commentary has been running for months now. The fact that the issue has been raised shows they are absolutely aware the review system is open to abuse. This is not how to look after either host or future guest interests. It's a race to the bottom. Some people are using the platform to book parties or for illegal activity or not looking after properties and then leaving outlier reviews. They need banning to protect hosts. Their reviews need taking down. Period.

People are afraid of leaving negative reviews, lest they receive revenge reviews. This does not protect the hosts, future guests or the platform, it undermines the value of reviews. Hosts are or at least should be the lifeblood of this community. Airbnb needs to value our contribution.

Hosts invest in property, facilities and offering a service. Why would a host whose livelihood and investment are entrusted to Airbnb want to sabotage something they have built up for one disagreeable guest? It doesn't add up. Airbnb, start looking after us as hosts. We do our best to look after our guests. Clearly, bad hosts need to be managed or removed from the platform, as do bad guests, but when someone with great reviews suddenly gets marked down, it doesn't take much to work out whether it is an honest review. 

@Nina444  –  very well said and articulate. Unfortunately despite 1159 replies to Airbnb’s original post, they have not followed up saying that they hear us (hosts).