New programs to help hosts

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New programs to help hosts

Keynote Feb 18.jpg

Hello everyone,

We have exciting news about what’s next for hosts on Airbnb. Earlier today we announced some new programs to help you stand out, get recognized, and attract the guests who’ll love your home.

Get discovered

Now you can select additional predefined features and amenities, such as a private attached bathroom or self check-in, to more easily attract guests who are looking for a home like yours. To take advantage of these new features, update your listing details.

Get featured

By providing the right essentials and maintaining high reviews, you can get featured in a collection—a set of homes perfect for a specific trip or occasion. To find out more about collections, click here.

Stand out and earn more

Introducing Airbnb Plus, a new selection of high-quality homes with hosts known for great reviews and attention to detail. All Airbnb Plus homes are verified in-person for quality and comfort.

Get recognized

We’re updating the Superhost program to help hosts who go above and beyond get the promotion they deserve.

We’re also renewing our commitment to community standards to help ensure guests treat your home as if it’s their own, and providing clearer expectations so that hosts can more easily provide a great stay for their guests.

Watch the replay of CEO Brian Chesky’s livestream to learn more about these announcements (translated subtitles will be available soon).

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

68 Replies 68
Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Very nice;  I think many of these are things that hosts have been looking forward to, especially the ones who go 'above and beyond'. 

At the same time... it feels a little dounting.  Thousands of new categories to configure, and I bet the "AirBnB Plus" thing will quickly become a must-have.. so that means a bit of a rush likely in the (few) cities where it's offered.   (Thankfully my city is not among them, or else I'd be redecorating and going up-market right this second to try and qualify for Plus..)

Tina306
Level 1
Godalming, United Kingdom

I watched it over Fb and everything sounds interesting and looking forward for the things to come.

I have one question..Can my listing be Work AND Family ready?

I was business ready before but I also have kitchen, tv and toys for families with kids... From what I saw my listing has now just Work on and will therefore be hidden for families?

Well hope not.

Thanks!

@Tina0 (hm, tagging isn't working for Tina).

Yes, you can be in both the Family Collection and Work Collection. (Our listing is.)

Just have the requirements for both.

(They do not conflict.)

I believe so.  At least I should say that currently .ine is work and family friendly.

Kristen66
Level 2
Louisville, KY

Hi Lizzie,

Just wondering how Airbnb determines guests travel for work or family? We have guests that do both and want to educate them on the booking selection type. I know several that have came for work, but arent booked that way. Thanks!

You can select one or both in the filters when searching and filter for Trip Type.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Mary95
Level 2
Indio, CA

So, who do I speak to about paying the $149 to apply fior Airbnb Plus status. I already qualify & Airbnb CS already know this from my page-long reviews & return guests.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Just loving the new Airbnb 'For Families' collection.

There's a 34sqm studio in Potts Point ... a gorgeous villa in Portugal, with an unfenced pool, on a cliff.... an artistic apartment in Melbourne with a really toddler friendly wall mural, an expensive, floor-mounted sound system and lots of lovely, sharp, glass and metal furniture..... a loft apartment in Rome with a 45 degree, open-tread, metal staircase without a handrail ... and a gorgeous guest house in Tokyo that doubles as an antique shop.

You might want to have a chat to the curatorial team.  They seem to have a rather dangerously subversive sense of humour.

@Louise0 -Well, that all gave me a much needed laugh! And you are correct - I noticed this as well. I tried to host families for awhile (and still do, on occassion, with careful screening- I actually enjoy hosting children and they always love our place). What soured me on the experience, however, is when a seemingly very responsible guest (who is also a host with Airbnb) assured me that the hot tub would be well taken care of and that the children would be supervised when the family used it together (I had them sign a 'hot tub' waiver regarding the children's use before agreeing to let them use it).

After they checked out, I opened the hot tub cover and nearly fell over backward from the horrific stench emanating from the inner lining of the cover - and the tub itself. The hot tub had been 'stewing' urine-filled water, and there was yellow liquid floating / pooling on the bottom third of the tub. Thank goodness I had blocked off the calendar so we had time to do an emergency drain and clean - but since then I have only had one family here and I will not allow children in the hot tub - These drains and cleans take a long time and given the fact many of our guest reviews comment on how wonderfully clean the hot tub is, it would be a minor disaster if the hot tub were filthy /  not available when the next guest checked in. So, yeah, I wondered myself about these 'family friendly' homes; maybe in some parallel universe, but not in my Airbnb world over here!

Chris464
Level 3
Stanford, South Africa

Yes, AirBnB only appear to consider that a family need a fully equipped kitchen, permit kids, have a TV and wifi. As a father of three, I consider this nonsensical set of criteria as it includes a whole lot of places that I would not want to consider and excludes many I would. The need of a TV and wifi to entertain a family appears a very odd, city-centric view. Personally, when we get away for a holiday we want to get away from the usual things. So the accommodation we offer does not include TV or wifi and we have no intention of doing so (especially the TV). Rather we offer families on top of a really well-equipped kitchen, a large open-plan living area without anything that can be easily broken, high chairs, campcots, table football, games and puzzles, a jungle gym on site, and then 250ha of mountain to explore with hiking, rope swings, cave, streams, trees to climb, etc. Oh but no TV so we can't be any good for families - go figure.

I was really pleased to read this ( from Chris above) as we do not qualify either due to the Wifi requirement. We have a small chalet on a holiday park in Devon, England and although there is Wifi available in the complex, the chalets themselves have no ( or at best, very flaky) Wifi connection. The chalet is basic, but perfect for a small family to explore the Devon/Cornwall coastline. There are plenty of family things to do - play areas, indoor and outdoor pools, great local beaches and attractions etc etc. We do provide a TV, but alas no reliable Wifi..................

I also think the 4.8 average star rating requirement is too high. Even guests who are very happy with the accomodation will sometimes only give a 4, which brings the average down.

LOL 😄 @Louise0

Oh Louise, that's funny. You're right of course.

I don't qualify because I don't have a TV. Families want to get away and spend time together. I have board games. No one has even mentioned the lack of TV except a few to say they like it. Why is it necessary? AirBnB say it's because of a survey, but it wasn't my market.
Ah, Chris, (S.A.) too.

"Go play outside!"

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

Wait, $149 to list it on Airbnb Plus and I have to have someone come inspect my property? I have 5 places..Yeah, no thanks.

Airbnb plus sounds like another way for airbnb to generate revenue. If we don't use it we will be at the bottom of the listing? No airbnb plus or instant book? Forget about it. I think a lot of new hosts will be discouraged when they are buried at the bottom, and existing hosts who work the butts off but don't want to pay up or sell out to instant book will have low placemnt. This part of the roll out makes me want to take me listings to a different platform.

But Some of these ideas are great..superguest for one.I wont use their group or luxury booking but I see the advantage there.

But I'm starting to think this is going to make the App and platform more confusing than it already is....