New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

**We now have a new introduction discussion, to view click here. We look forward to hearing from you. This topic is closed to new replies. Thank you **

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Airbnb Community Center. This thread is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb forum members, as well as welcoming and saying hi to newcomers in return, in order to make everyone feel like they belong.

I'm Marjo, and I lead the Community Center staff team who will manage this online forum on a daily basis. You will see me posting here sometimes, along with our other English community staff member @Lizzie, who has just joined as well and will be introducing herself in this thread too - Lizzie will be managing the English community full-time once we launch the forum.

Here's a few additional facts about me:

1. My favourite city is San Francisco. I spent hours and hours of time there on Google street view for years, until I actually got to visit the city in person recently. Such a friendly and colourful place!
  2. I have 2 cats which probably makes me a bit of a (crazy) cat lady.
  3. I'm originally from Helsinki, Finland.

How about you, any fun facts you want to share? 🙂

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you so feel free to reply to this thread and say hello!

-------------------------

New to the Community Center? Check Getting Started for guidelines and info.

1,250 Replies 1,250
Rebecca44
Level 4
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Marjo, would love to stay some time!

Queenie0
Level 10
United States

Hi! Queenie & Ted here from the beautiful New England state of Connecticut USA! 

Currently enjoying our much too short autumn season! 

Looking forward to what the new forums will add to our hosting experience.

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi. I'm Peter from London. I look after our local community group which I actively manage as a participant answering questions mainly from new and uncertain hosts.

We have infrequent meetups but a good core community. As I own a decent sized local landmark building we often use it for Airbnb events. Recently we held a launch of Alain de Botton's book for his publisher which you will all get to see in Paris.

My listing is very heavily used (no vacancies for more than a year) so I do get fatigue. It is more like a job for me now. Today we had a wedding party staying (plus 50 guests for drinks). Tomorrow it is a 23rd birthday party. There are 6 pop up dinners next week. And then a host meet up for those going to Paris.

I have a cleaning company I use to do the changes. So I do get out to what my friends call my "work" during the day! But it is great to get back "home" to find out who the latest interesting guest is.

Chatting over breakfast - or at 1130pm over a drink - is the best part of the day.

Enough for now. Tim and I are going to Paris Nov 11-15. We have held our listing unbooked until now for the days before and after then in case any fellow hosts wants to stay in London before 11 or after 15. Let me know directly if any of you does. (This is not an advert! We strictly kill adverts on our current Group discussion).
Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome @Peter0 and @Queenie0. Great to have you here! How is your weekend going? 🙂

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I've released some posts from our over-enthusiastic spam filter system yesterday, and I see some introductions here that were hidden before. Sorry about that! Welcome to the new forum, @Sen0@Gary0, how are you finding it so far? 🙂

Gary, that's quite a lot of traveling you've been doing. Sounds amazing! How was Japan? It is on my travel list for sure too.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello

Gordon from London checking in. I host guests (eastern European/Australisian generally) in my Chiswick house. Two cats (but seriously, not a mad cat person). Prefer male, bald guests (but take all) as so much easier to clean up after.

Day job is as an editor/comms manager for a big telco.

50 years young this year so a very busy year is going to pay for a number of expensive holidays over the coming 12 months. Last guests staying next week before the MiL comes to visit for three (very long) months.

Favourite city? Caracas. Dangerous as hell, but I love it. Yearly visits see us help out at an orphange which puts our own first-world problems into perspective.
IMG_6115.JPG

Hum I just posted my introduction but I cannot see it?? Maybe Im just dumb lol

Mala0
Level 7
Torquay, United Kingdom

Hiya.....

Mala originally from london now in south west coast of UK  by the Beaches galore in Torquay Devon to be exact.

Started with Airbnb only summer of 2015 after using one myself in london.  So far huge learning curve but easier as it got along. 

So i will not do my normal ramblings but keep this relevant. haha.. Happy to help others along the way with my balanced, unbiased thoughts on how i am doing and what works best for me on airbnb and as a host and would be nice to tap in to other peoples thoughts when i need clarity etc. 

As a single hoster i have had some ....ahem.. guys messaging asking to stay but also seemed aparent they were "tightwads" not wanting to pay for dating site and using airbnb as one!.. pfft!.. rolls eyess and shakes head!.. ha!   So whatever single gals be careful out there!.. Wouldn't mind if George Clooney came calling but i think that ship has sailed!.. 

Look forward to getting to know some of you and chit chatting over time.. Come say hello.

Oh has any airbnb host thought about doing swapping residents for only a charge to airbnb (sure they would not  allow otherwise)...Would be a  good way to  travel cheap if dates, areas and homes match.  Maybe a side sick for airbnb, just thinking aloud as would be good for me

Mala x

Mx

Vladimiro0
Level 2
Ko Samui, Thailand

Hello everybody!

Hey all! My name is Vladimiro or Vlad if you prefer. I started on Airbnb in April and loving it every guest more! I dunno if I am lucky myself but I never had a bad guest so far! (Touches wood! lol) All the opposite, I had many and many lovely people coming to my place and we could talk and share opinions and experiences togheteher. Its really nice! I lived and worked in London ten years so I can cope with English and that helps a lot! Me and my hosts often go out toghether to have a drink or eat and with many of them I am still in contact after months! Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi! I hope all you others are having the same awesome experience as I do! 😄

Vlad.

Oh yes! Its here now @Marjo0 thank you anyways! Haha

Margaret0
Level 8
Dublin, Ireland

I'm Margaret I have been hosting in my home in Dublin for the last few years and I mostly enjoy it. I live in an old neighbourhood close to the city centre so get a lot of people coming and going. I enjoy meeting people. My dog used to love meeting people too but I lost her earlier this year and now have been adopted by some feral cats who sit and look in the window and cause great excitement with cat lover guests who dont realise that is the closest they are ever going to get to them. 

Mieke0
Level 8
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Hi all of you around the world,

This is a call from Amsterdam. We have the group Hospitatlity in Amsterdam and with Mirjam and Manuel  and me, (Mieke) we have guided lots of hosts throught their first experiences. Fun and weloved doing it; especially when we managed to solve the problem.

We have about 2700 members now and we hope we can keep on communicating with all of them. We understood that lots of the guests can join us as well now.

Great as we like to tell you about Amsterdam and our way of live.

Hope to meet you in Paris or later in Amsterdam.

Mieke

Gabrielle1
Level 2
Oakland, California, United States

Hi guys!  I'm Gabby and I like to eat, play with puppies, and anything related to tiny living!  I also love to be active and explore anything outdoors.  I've used Airbnb a few times and am hooked!!!!

Stan1
Level 2
Fremont, California, United States

Hi everyone!

I'm a Bay Area California native who loves to travel! In 2012, I quit my job and traveled for 13 months straight around the world. I visited 27 countries and met so many amazing people!

My personal favorite places in the world are Queenstown, New Zealand for all the activities, Melbourne, Australia for the food and vibes, Cambodia for the cheap eats and great people.

A fun fact about me is that I only have 4 of my 5 senses!

giphy.gif

Jessica1
Level 2
Alameda, California, United States

Hey everybody!

My name is Jessica and I loooove to travel. When I studied in London while taking college courses I was able to go to 9 countries. Since then I have always tried to make time to explore the world. My next trip that I have set is to go to New Zealand where I saw a ton of great Airbnb's to stay at. Can't wait! 

I also have love for Disney and the parks, Harry Potter and the themepark in Florida, food but mostly cheese, wine and craft beer, sporting events but mostly the Oakland A's.