New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

**We now have a new introduction discussion, to view click here. We look forward to hearing from you. This topic is closed to new replies. Thank you **

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Airbnb Community Center. This thread is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb forum members, as well as welcoming and saying hi to newcomers in return, in order to make everyone feel like they belong.

I'm Marjo, and I lead the Community Center staff team who will manage this online forum on a daily basis. You will see me posting here sometimes, along with our other English community staff member @Lizzie, who has just joined as well and will be introducing herself in this thread too - Lizzie will be managing the English community full-time once we launch the forum.

Here's a few additional facts about me:

1. My favourite city is San Francisco. I spent hours and hours of time there on Google street view for years, until I actually got to visit the city in person recently. Such a friendly and colourful place!
  2. I have 2 cats which probably makes me a bit of a (crazy) cat lady.
  3. I'm originally from Helsinki, Finland.

How about you, any fun facts you want to share? 🙂

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you so feel free to reply to this thread and say hello!

-------------------------

New to the Community Center? Check Getting Started for guidelines and info.

1,250 Replies 1,250

Here is my link!

www.airbnb.com/c/familya23

Karen and Jeff

On my site, it shows that the price is for 10 people, though I can accommodate 15 people.

So for every person over the 10 guests, there is a charge of £50 per person per night.

This is set inside Airbnb, so that if 11 people book for a 2 night stay, they will be automatically charged an extra £100 for the extra person.

However, if the extra person/people arrive than was booked, then you have to right to request money through Airbnb under request or send money or alter or cancel. 

If they pay up, fine, but if not Airbnb will intervene and decide the issue.

Regards,

Richard

You don't need to add your ugly-looking URL (mine's ugly too).

You just need to copy and paste that into the URL window when you click on the chain-link icon under 'Add details' above.

Then type in the Text to display, which for you would be 'Cabin in the Woods' or whatever you like.

Put your name in the Title.

In Target click on Open in New Page.

Like this:

Really Fancy House With Hot Tub and Games Barn!

And I don't believe in offering discounts upfront either. That looks desperate.

I believe in making your place soooooooooo attractive that people just HAVE TO go there!

If they want a better deal, they will ask you, don't worry!

Diane268
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Hello, I am Diane and have just listed our vacation home on beautiful Vancouver Island, Canada, on AirBnB.  It has been lovely to find the AirBnB community very welcoming and helpful.  I have travelled to many countries and sometimes stayed at AirBnBs, but becoming a host is a new thing for me, so all the tips and shared experiences are really appreciated.  

Best to you all,

Diane

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Diane268,

It's great to have you here!

Perhaps you could share some of your experiences as you've been using Airbnb for travelling? It'd be great to hear how you got into Airbnb hosting as well!

I hope to hear from you soon 🙂 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

FamilyKJ0
Level 9
Phoenix, AZ

@Richard0

I finally figured out how to post my url like you suggested

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20440492

Do you know how I can send a pdf of a guidebook to guests?

Can I upload a pdf guidebook into my AirBNB listing anywhere?

I have a cabin out in the forest. I have two full bathrooms,  I have enougfh room for at least 14 people  10 in beds & couche & futon  + 4 in air mattresses, but that seems like too many people for two bathrooms. How many guests can I say I can accomodate?

Maybe it males a difference if they are kids or adults.

Thanks!! Karen and Jeff

Karen

Karen & Jeff,

I send my guests a couple of pdf files for information regarding the apartment and the neighborhood.  This includes hot links to local business and attractions.  I do this through direct communication from us to their direct email address.  This seems to be a good work around.

Best of Luck,

William

@William171  Thanks!

Great! You can sleep up to 14 people!

You will be amazed at how many large groups there are who find it hard or to expensive to book elsewhere.

I labeled my entry as 4 - 14 Guests with Hot Tub!

Pack 'em in!

As long as you make it clear what it is that you are offering, then the guests can make up their own minds about your suitability.

I have 1 en suite bathroom and one family bathroom and 1 separate loo (toilet) and a hot tub.

If the group can see what you have, then they will hardly complain later that there weren't enough bathrooms, etc.

I would advertise your property as "10+ Guests in Forest Cabin HideAway + Hot Tub!" 

You have to EXCITE the guests sufficiently to want to book you over the others.

Make it DIFFICULT for them to refuse.

Think of what you can offer them that would make YOU book your place.

Looking at your pics, the inside ones are pretty dark. expecially the bathrooms. Make them bright and light.

Lose the pics of your washing machine etc. The fact that you have one is enough. Noone wants to look at appliances. or toilets.

The blue flowery duvets are a turn-off for me. I only use white.

Get a nice forest colours shower curtain. The colour of yours is ? I wouldn't show pics of the bathrooms. As a guest, it's enough to know that you have them!

Make your pics come to life more. Take some pics of kids playing or your whole family sitting on the porch looking out at the view and laughing and waving. And one of a couple walking through the forest hand in hand looking up/down at each other with some love. Make your place look romantic. Your cabin without people on it looks a bit cold and deserted and lonely. Bring it to life!

Help people to IMAGINE themselves staying there.

My hot tub is a big draw. So get one if you can afford it.

I also have a barn with pool, table tennis and some gym equipment plus badminton racquets and shuttlecocks.

If their group is larger than 10, they will send you questions about how many you can sleep, and you can explain, through Airbnb at this stage, of course.

"Do you know how I can send a pdf of a guidebook to guests?

Can I upload a pdf guidebook into my AirBNB listing anywhere?"

No, Airbnb does not allow you to communicate in any way with guests until they actually book. Then you will get their phone number and email.

But you can upload pics that are images of documents, like a list, or a map or a plan.

Regards,

Richard

Fieldgate

FamilyKJ0
Level 9
Phoenix, AZ

Thanks so much @Richard152 Richard. Sounds like its time for a professional photographer. I thought the photos were great, but it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what the potential guest thinks.

I will list for 14 and be 100% upfront & honest. The guys can go in the woods 🙂 I'm not kidding.

About half of my reservations are made by men and half by women.  Women ( like me)  love that flowery stuff. White is so bland. People are not going to come to my cabin in the woods for bland. In some cases they don't care about anything except the woods.. For people who love the outdoors, everything in excess of a roof, bathroom and temerature control is gravy... if you can breath the clean air, small the pine trees, listen to the wind in the absence of any other sounds, & watch the birds and squirrels & elk.

However, I would like to be an upper-end place to stay,  so i take your comments seriously.  Maybe a hot tub while you watch the elk?

I'll consider a hot tub. Sounds kind of pricey.

I truly appreciate your input.

Karen and Jeff

Hi Guys,

I think you should take a survey on that flowery stuff lol!

I understand what you say about loving the outdoors, but in my humble opinion, and in my experience (I've also had my own 10 bedroom B&B and a small hotel), people love the high end stuff a lot, maybe cos it's more than what they're used to at home. Or maybe because when they arrive, they get the Wow factor.

I'm not an upper class place, I just offer a high quality style of living with quirks. It's not all perfect. But when they come in, they do get the wow feeling. Light n Bright, and uncluttered with stuff. Heck, they could send for all their belongings and move in tomorrow, it's that ready for longterm residents.

Give 'em more than they expected - Give 'em the wow factor. Don't show them pics of the toilet LOL!

Show them pics that make them point and say "Yes! Hey guys - we've just GOTTA go there!"

No security deposit. No money back if they cancel last minute. If you've got a good place, they will understand.

Most people are fine people. No need to mention the loo in the forest. They'll work that one out themselves.

How about a swing or rope hanging from a tree? (I've got one!) How about some comfy chairs, swingseats, hammock sofas on the front porch?

Best wishes to you,

Richard

Richard

Laurie156
Level 1
North Vancouver, Canada

Hi everyone,

So glad to have joined the AB&B community. It's all new and exciting to me. I'm likely to just list my place when my husband and I are out of country travelling, but still worthwhile.

I do like learning new things all the time - art especially now that I'm semi-retired. Drawing, painting classes and thankfully my part-time work is in an Indigenous Art Gallery - so I'm inspired at work too.

Favourite place to travel - France (all parts of it); I know Paris better than the suburban cities around me! I'm such a francophile - food, decor, style of all kinds.

And getting to know South Africa quite a bit - as I've married a Springbok!

Cheers and all the best to you...

Laurie

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Laurie156

Nice to meet you!

Have you had a look at the Interest board? The interest board is where hosts can share their interests and hobbies. I thought you'd be interested in sharing some of your drawings or paintings? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Laurie156

I too would like to see your paintings.

I have paintings from my grandfather & daughter, and placemats woven by my great aunt and handkerchiefs emboidered by another great aunt hung around the house. I don't paint, but I garden and thats sort of like art in decidinvg where to put plants & rocks . I have roses in Phoenix. The roses like the winter better there 🙂

JEFF and karen