Advice on a situation

Edward19
Level 3
Devon, PA

Advice on a situation

Hi everyone,

I've been an Airbnb host since 2015 and love it. I've rarely had a problem, but suddently I'm faced with a situation I'm not sure how to handle.

I rent out the master bedroom in my home. It's an enormous room. There's a king bed, a full air mattress, a TV, private bath, a lounging chair with a footstand. There's no desk.

Everyone who's rented from me spends their time in the room, unless they're eating at the kitchen table.

Here's my problem. I have a guest who sits at the kitchen table and works on her computer for hours. I'd like her to do that in her room, but I don't know how to tell her that she rented a room, not the house. I do editing, and so I'm in the house all day long. I specifically rent out the master bedroom so that my guest(s) will have plenty of room of their own.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edward

6 Replies 6
Richard152
Level 4
Bath, United Kingdom

Hi Edward,

Does it specifically state in your Airbnb listing that it is only the one bedroom that is offered for use?

And does it state that the kitchen is available for the guests to use?

I'll advise further, when I receive your answers.

[Email address hidden as per the community guidelines]

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Edward19,

Welcome to the Community Center!

I could see that your master bedroom is very spacious! Have you considered placing a desk in there? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Edward19  in your amenities list you have included desk-workspace. So if you haven't provided something to fit this description in the bedroom, then you will need to appreciate the guest accepting the option of using the dining table. If they have a lot of office work to do then it becomes uncomfortable without proper seating and table. It's great that they haven't expressed concern about not having a table of their own.

On your listing you express welcome to children, and describe yourself as willing to be social. 

My guess is that you will have less disturbance to your work from the current guest who is focused on their own stuff. 

Ironic isn't it... But those are the quirky challenges of hosting.

Happy editing.

My letter no doubt contains lotsa typos. 

Best regards,

Christine. 

Hi Christine,

Actually, my amenities states laptop friendly workspace, which I can understand could be open to interpretation. I've added that there's a comfortable chair and footstool for working on one's laptop. However, I am considering investing in a desk/chair combo.

Edward

Kim-And-Fred0
Level 8
Portland, OR

Hi Edward, in your master bedroom do you have a worktable with a good chair, with a light? If not add this to the room and add to house manual.

In your house manual if you don't have it written, I would write about the great workspace guests have in that room, to spread out, make calls, and the privacy is great.

Also in the house manual under GUEST ACCESS SECTION, write the areas your guest has access to and exclude that one space your guest is now occupying.  

Now what to say to current guest? If she is leaving soon, I would say nothing.  If she is there for awhile, then something like "I am sorry, I forgot to mention that this space is where i do X and would you mind working in the great big space in your room or livingroom/diningroom" etcetera. 

I hope this helps.  

Kym Gordon-Cumbo The Slater House Pdx Portland, Oregon

Hello Kym and Fred,

Your response time is impressive. Although there's a non-ergonomic, yet comfortable chair and footstool in the room, I can understand that some people may not be comfortable working at other than a table/desk. I am considering investing in a desk/chair combo so that there's not confusion, and I've changed my description to tell future guests that the chair and footstool are there for their use.

Edward