News about the co-hosting split payout feature

Airbnb
Official Account

News about the co-hosting split payout feature

We recently shared that as of August 1, 2018 we’ll no longer offer the co-hosting split payout feature. Many of you use and appreciate this feature, and we understand that this change has implications for the way that you do business as hosts. It’s always our intention to improve your experience in any way we can, and we’re sorry for the inconvenience this change will pose for you. We’d like to give you some background on why we’re making it and offer some alternatives for paying your co-hosts.

It’s important to note that we are not removing co-hosting. We’re invested in helping you succeed, and co-hosting overall has been a valuable tool for many of you. So why are we removing the split payout feature? When we added the ability to pay co-hosts through this special feature, the number of co-hosts was rather small and we built a system that handled the volume well. But in order for this feature to meet the needs of a much larger community of hosts and work seamlessly with Airbnb’s evolving platform, we would need to completely rebuild the feature so that it grows with your needs and meets our internal reliability standards. We’re not building a feature to replace this one yet, but we know it’s important to certain hosts and co-hosts and will continue to evaluate ways we can improve and grow the co-hosting program.

The good news is we’re exploring the best way to introduce a new and improved feature. We can’t give you a date yet, but will keep you informed. In the meantime, you can still pay co-hosts through the Airbnb platform by changing your Payout Preferences to split your payment with your co-host. To do this, with your co-host’s permission, enter their payout information in your Payout Preferences tab, and set the percentage you would like to share. If your co-host is not comfortable sharing their account details or ever withdraws their authorization, you can pay them outside of Airbnb through secure online payment apps, bank deposits, cash, or checks.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and we’re grateful for each and every one of you who host and co-host—and support local businesses while you’re at it! We look forward to building a feature that will be useful to you and better meet the needs of this growing community.

274 Replies 274
Patricia1226
Level 4
Christiansburg, VA

Very true

Pete17
Level 5
San Diego, CA

@Airbnb How do we do this with cleaning fees? If I split the payment in payment preferences it will take a percentage of the total including cleaning fees. When Co-hosting payments were sent, it was a percentage BEFORE the cleaning fee. 

Pete, 

Have you found a solution?? Lost in Sedona, Stacy and Maree (New co-hosts)

We need to be able to send the cleaning fee directly to the cleaners FIRST, then do the % routing feature..... I CANNOT BELIEVE Air bnb hasn't solved this yet. SO FRUSTRATING!!!  PLEASE

@Airbnb

Does this mean ABB will get rid of the split payments for guests too? - This is what actually needs a total overhaul - blocking calendars for up to 72hrs while a bunch of unorganized guests drag their feet and muddle thru payments is unacceptable! Please focus on fixing what is broken and leave well enough alone!

Dear Henry, 

How are you handling the cleaning fee split problem. If it isn't a problem for you as a co-host, what is the solution?

Thanks, Maree and Stacy (New co-hosts) in AZ

Agreed with Our hosts wholeheartedly!  @Airbnb please add the cleaning fee portion, that is part of the pricing that I collect on behalf of all of my hosts... I think you guys forgot to address and add that part... besides a percentage fee possibly add a feature for collecting a flat fee for cleaning please....

Thanks for the update, was there any way for you guys to work in the background and launch the new updated feature when it’s done? Meanwhile we are happy with the current feature and no one has ever complained about the splitting payment feature..

The hosts would not want to deal with me directly or the cleaners themselves. 

Dear Phoe, 

How are you handling the cleaning fee problem. What is the solution?

Dev4
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Airbnb2

I have to reitrate that I agree with most hosts on this topic, this is step backward from the company and completely ignorant of the Airbnb community. 

In fact the original communication that was sent out was rude, with an undertone that indicates that the Company does not care about co-host management and feels that the host & co-host can sort out everything or stop co-hosting. I would definately stop co-hosting but I have booked for 3 months in advance and the 1 month notice leaves 2 months to figure out how to settle payment without co-hosting.

Important lesson to learn from this is that AIrbnb is a platform and they operate in their best interest. It was our mistake to become so reliant on a platform for our livelihood. Lesson learnt. 

I’m confused with what this means.  So there is the owner (listing admin), host and co host.  Does this mean you can’t split between the owner and main host?  Does all the money go to the owner (listing admin) or main host?  

Nikki76
Level 3
Raleigh, NC

Major issues: low pay and no guarantee of payment now.

the cohosts are the ones running the business for the hosts.

the cohosts schedule all the cleanings, communicate with guests, and are usually on call for the guests.

so without cohosts the hosts have no Airbnb business.

all the host has is the property.

the hosts that use cohosting are not interested in running the day to day operations.

It is going to cost the hosts more to employ a cohost without Airbnb splitting the payments. On August 01 when the cohost has to invoice the host for the percentage commission plus the cleaning fee, the cohost will have to charge more for the time involved in invoicing. The rate will go up and it may not be as economically attractive for the host to be on the Airbnb platform. 

Airbnb rents are not as high as the other platforms. 

I think if a cohost has to do al that work( invoicing and waiting for payment) the cohost should look at other platforms where their commission will be higher. 

Dear Nikki, 

How are you handling the cleaning fee problem. What is the solution?

Any tips on invoicing and payament solutions you have found??

@Airbnb2 I am beyond fustrated with this huge change. I manage 6 homes, each are owned individually. I plan on managing another home next month. I have no easy way of paying my cohosts now. Each of my clients have expressed concerns on having their home listed on Airbnb if they will not be getting direct deposits from Airbnb. This change you are implementing is going to impact my business significantly. I will be looking for alternative sites to use such as VRBO if you are not going to keep the cohost payout process. I truly love Airbnb but this change your implementing is changing my opinion. 

If any Airbnb hosts have suggestions on how to track payouts in another platform, such as Quickbooks, I would really appreciate some guidance before August 1. 

Dear Natalie and Chip, 

How are you handling the cleaning fee problem. What is the solution?

As an owner, any tips on solutions you have found??

Norman43
Level 2
Houston, TX

I just want to chime in and echo the frustrations already expressed by my fellow costs and co-hosts. This is a rushed and poorly thought through change, if it was thought through at all, that affects a significant number of us profoundly. I have no way to operate on airbnb without my co-hosts and have travel commitments that mean I cannot be available to handle splitting payments after each guest. And don't get me started on the so-called workaround... as written it makes absolutely no sense.

If this really is a system issue (which is hard to believe) it does not give me much confidence in the airbnb platform overall.

Grrrr...