Now launched in the U.S.: Airbnb’s new enhanced cleaning protocol

Airbnb
Official Account

Now launched in the U.S.: Airbnb’s new enhanced cleaning protocol

Enhanced cleaning protocol.png

Many of you have asked for more guidance around cleaning your spaces during COVID-19 and beyond, so we wanted to let you know that our enhanced cleaning protocol is now ready and available for hosts in the U.S. (with other countries and regions to follow). 

The cleaning protocol offers in-depth, expert-backed guidelines for cleaning every room in your space. Hosts with eligible listings who commit to the protocol will get a special highlight on their listing page, so guests know they’ve committed to following higher standards for cleaning. We know you may have questions about how the program works—like who’s eligible, how the special highlight works, and what to do if you can’t commit to the protocol—and we’ve done our best to answer them in the Resource Center

None of this would have been possible without the feedback so many of you provided here and in our global listening sessions. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and for being part of our host community. 

If you host in the U.S., you can commit to the protocol now

Learn more at Airbnb.com/cleaningresources

80 Replies 80

@Lisa723yeah I can see that being the cost in Oregon much higher cost of living there. I cleaned with the enhanced protocol myself to test it out and its not that much more effort. Mostly spraying with lysol and wiping all touched surfaces after cleaning.  

@Fab-And-Ben0 ...and rewashing every item of cookware, tableware, and linen in the house, including curtains and shower curtains, washing walls and baseboards, and entryway windows and ceilings.

My listing in question is in rural Washington... and I'm not sure guests' willingness to pay a cleaning fee is based on their perceptions of the local cost of living. It would certainly be possible for me to pay and charge less than I do for cleaning (though not if I signed up for the enhanced protocol). I was just answering your question about how to find and keep good cleaners. I have found that paying significantly more than the going rate works.

@Fab-And-Ben0 PS I was curious, so I checked. The cost of living index in the town where my listing is located is 8.7% higher than Houston. So even if cost of living is an important indicator of how much you can charge for cleaning, which I actually doubt, that would amount to only a $16 reduction from $200.

Just interested, did you really wash ALL the items in the kitchen?  For my kitchen, that would be at least 3 loads in the dishwasher, and being on rain-water supply, it's not very sustainable.  It would also take a minimum of 5 hours to run them through.... seems a bit ott.

Inna31
Level 3
Kailua-Kona, HI

It's ridiculous to change and disinfect vacuum cleaner every time. I use a canister one. How can you even disinfect the vacuum? I have advanced filters on it, I open windows and run two fans in the room while cleaning. I believe it should do, without the need to replace filter every time. Cleaning walls and ceilings-do they even do it in surgical rooms? 

The protocol is great but the forcing of hosts to also have orphan nights between stays is very unfortunate.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Optimal0,

When I opted-out, I was presented the option to sign up for the 3 day buffer for those who cannot/do not to participate in the enhanced cleaning protocol, but it's not a requirement.  I chose to stick with the two day buffer that I already had set up in the Availability Settings. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

This is annoying me more and more every time I log in to Airbnb and am bombarded with their message about signing up for it.  It's great for Airbnb, they're covered either way.  The protocol is so strict you could use it for hosting someone with leprosy or bubonic plague!  This makes Airbnb look good.  Any host who is found to have signed up but not fulfilled the cleaning protocol, Airbnb will punish them.  This makes Airbnb look good.

It may be that there are some units out there, super minimal design, little fabric or furnishings, large price and professional cleaning crew that could manage to follow the protocol 100%, but not many.  It isn't realistic.

We tried it, once was enough.  I don't want to advertise something I am unable to provide so we unsubscribed, yet I still see the message every single day, and this is insulting my intelligence, and of course also harming the listing because being honest and honestly refusing to say I can clean like the CDC deprives the listing of the badge and the boost.

@Mark116  - so true! Does anyone know of a way to get through to Airbnb about this issue? I have not seen any update from them about revisions for reasonable cleaning procedures. It is like they wrote the ridiculous ones and then washed their hands of it (pun intended). I remember the days when Airbnb listed to their hosts. Now it is difficult to communicate with them at all.

@Marie22  I can't imagine why Airbnb would change the protocols, especially making them less strict, this would be 'bad PR' for the company. 

If they had been interested in creating something on cleaning that was workable they would have done it as a separate cleaning tab like amenities, and then hosts could check off what they were doing, guests could pay as much or as little attention as they wanted.

Instead, they created a protocol that is almost impossible to faithfully execute.  But, they don't care, why would they?  It makes them look good and any failure will be the failure of the host. I can almost guarantee this cleaning protocol will never go away, and as is typical, it will mostly benefit the dishonest or the super luxury places that can afford a huge team of cleaners. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Mark116,

I tried the enhanced cleaning for a couple of weeks, and opted-out also, because I found it to be too onerous, and wanted to display honest listing details.  This didn't stop us from getting bookings, but as I said in a message to you in another thread, I do believe it is because everything is open in Atlanta, and the state of Georgia.  Hopefully, you will see an increase in rentals as more museums open in NYC.  I know that I've personally taken a couple of trips primarily to visit museums.

@Debra300   Yes, I saw that reply.  How much it harms the bookings would depend on how much of a boost they're giving listings that have signed up for it.  I'm used to being disappointed by Airbnb, but it is unfortunate that for something as serious as COVID, instead of creating a workable program, they instead rolled out something designed to protect Airbnb, not guests or hosts. 

So, far not a single person has inquired about COVID cleaning, although the couple of guests we've had wanted to do self check in, but otherwise no mention of anything to do with cleaning or sanitizing.

Sharon229
Level 1
Bowen Island, Canada

I certainly understand why airbnb was compelled to institute the "enhanced" cleaning protocols, but I am committing to what our local health minister dictates and my own common sense. I have instituted all sorts of measures related to surfaces and air (and leaving 4 - 5 days between guests which is the most impactful) and am relaying the measures to my guests in my listing. I didn't feel I could, in good conscience, imply I was going to the extremes that were dictated by the "badge".  But I sincerely appreciate all the actions Airbnb has taken during these times.

Laura4513
Level 2
Grafton, WI

Now I see the requirement that we commit to the AirBnb Cleaning Protocol by 11/20/20, or potentially lose our listing visibility.  I use a professional cleaning service that does an excellent job and is doing a special "TouchPoint" disinfect-oriented cleaning.  They are doing the majority of the 5 steps, but not exactly in the prescribed sequence -- but we could probably make some adjustments.  But, both of my properties are entire houses with full kitchens which are well-stocked; I don't skimp on eating dishes, serving and baking dishes, utensils etc. -- I cannot and will not have washed or limit all of these things with each guest stay.  I also have outdoor patio areas which are swept and the patio table tops wiped/sanitized and cleaned after each guest stay, but not necessarily all pieces of furniture are fully sanitized (as in the Cleaning Protocol "Guidelines") -- after all, they are outdoors!

So while I could potentially commit to the 5 Steps with having my cleaning service make a few adjustments, I could not commit to the (over the top) Cleaning Guidelines specific to each room space. 

I tell my guests exactly what my cleaning service is doing as to cleaning -- I've gotten rave reviews as to the cleanliness of my properties, pre-COVID and now during-COVID (I rent primarily on Vrbo  -- so that's where the majority of my reviews are - 182 reviews/5 * average for one property; 83 reviews/ 4.9* average for the other property; I list only one of the properties on AirBnb with 25 reviews/4.96 * average.)

So, my question boils down to, does the commitment a host makes to the following the Cleaning Protocol, include, in effect, the (impossible for a full house) detailed Cleaning Guidelines?

Thank you.  Laura  @Catherine-Powell

@Laura4513 @Airbnb 
Here is the question Airbnb needs to answer... Does the commitment mean that you will follow the 5-step cleaning process that is pretty simple (each step has about 4 bullet points), or is it a commitment to each step in the handbook? Please answer that question Airbnb. From the text on the help page, it looks like all we need to do is comply with the bullet points in the 5 step cleaning process. I can easily commit to those.  Here is the statement on the help screen, " The 5-step cleaning process is a set of cleaning practices that all hosts are required to follow between guest stays, in addition to their local laws and guidelines. The process is based on Airbnb’s cleaning handbook, which was developed in partnership with experts in an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19."

I hope I am right. If you read that help statement carefully it does not say we have to commit to the cleaning handbook, just the 5 step outlined process which is BASED on the handbook. 

I will try to make some calls, and get some clarity.