Now launched in the U.S.: Airbnb’s new enhanced cleaning protocol

Airbnb
Official Account

Now launched in the U.S.: Airbnb’s new enhanced cleaning protocol

Enhanced cleaning protocol.png

Many of you have asked for more guidance around cleaning your spaces during COVID-19 and beyond, so we wanted to let you know that our enhanced cleaning protocol is now ready and available for hosts in the U.S. (with other countries and regions to follow). 

The cleaning protocol offers in-depth, expert-backed guidelines for cleaning every room in your space. Hosts with eligible listings who commit to the protocol will get a special highlight on their listing page, so guests know they’ve committed to following higher standards for cleaning. We know you may have questions about how the program works—like who’s eligible, how the special highlight works, and what to do if you can’t commit to the protocol—and we’ve done our best to answer them in the Resource Center

None of this would have been possible without the feedback so many of you provided here and in our global listening sessions. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and for being part of our host community. 

If you host in the U.S., you can commit to the protocol now

Learn more at Airbnb.com/cleaningresources

80 Replies 80

@Marie22 I am reading it as you have. Being 'based on' it can't be the 'same as'.

Lets see if Airbnb clarify - I fear they won't.

@Mike-And-Jane0  I got a nice message from Katie, and yes it looks like  it is the 5 steps, not the micro-detailed handbook.

Here is her reply: 

Starting the week of October 12th all hosts and guests on the platform will be prompted to attest to health and safety guidelines that include wearing a mask and practicing social distancing when interacting with each other. In addition, hosts and their hosting team and cleaning partners must commit to the five-step enhanced cleaning process. As a host, you are required to do three things under Airbnb’s health and safety mandate: 

Hi Marie - it's not clear to me exactly how the five-steps differs from the full protocol, as it refers back to the detailed handbook which contains all the onerous requirements.  If there is a simpler protocol, they need to publish that in full and make it clear that it is not the detailed process.  And it still says that ALL dishes need to be washed each stay (ridiculous), and refers to the detailed checklists for each room. 

So we even have to wear a mask outside while greeting the guests even though we make sure we’re standing at least 2-3 metres away from them?

Ron-and-Asya0
Level 1
Mineral, CA

My airbnb is located in a very rural retirement town of 100 people.  Next to impossible to hire a cleaning service as nearest town with a cleaning service available is 45 miles away.  Most of the people in my town are retired or don't want to work even though I am willing to pay premium wages for cleaning.  So this summer I decided to do all the cleaning myself and while it has been a lot of work I feel in some ways it has been easier.  Don't have to worry about the cleaning person flaking out and not showing up or doing a lousy job.

I also did not agree to the enhanced cleaning protocols which came out in the spring.   They were way to stringent and inflexible.   Would take hours to do what they are asking?  Wash every dish and utensil.  I only rent my place one time per week so usually 2-4 days between bookings which I am sure does a great job of reducing the spread of Covid.   I have had only one person inquire about my cleaning process out of over 50 bookings.  I've had the busiest summer yet so obviously guests are not worried about my place not having the enhanced cleaning badge.  People are very happy with my cleaning and all great reviews.

This new mandatory enhanced cleaning option is just feel good policy to keep the lawyers happy at Airbnb and is again impractical and over the top.  Something airbnb can impose on hosts because they can.  As one writer said I doubt Airbnb has ever even tried cleaning a house with the new enhanced cleaning requirement.  Might work for some situations but I have a full size house with a fully stocked kitchen.  The linens I use on the beds specifically say "wash in warm water only" as they are some sort of bamboo fabric.  

I've been using airbnb for 5 years now.  I tried VRBO but got very few listings. From the beginning I have felt like Airbnb is all about the guests and doesn't give a flip about the hosts.  If I could switch to a listing service which treated hosts as true members of the team I would switch in a minute.  All Airbnb needs to do is take the time to really consult with hosts before making these mandatory policies.

Not sure what I will do regarding the new mandatory enhanced cleaning.  May just take my listing off the market for now.

Just my Airbnb rant for the week.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia