Now launched in the U.S.: Airbnb’s new enhanced cleaning protocol

Airbnb
Official Account

Now launched in the U.S.: Airbnb’s new enhanced cleaning protocol

Enhanced cleaning protocol.png

Many of you have asked for more guidance around cleaning your spaces during COVID-19 and beyond, so we wanted to let you know that our enhanced cleaning protocol is now ready and available for hosts in the U.S. (with other countries and regions to follow). 

The cleaning protocol offers in-depth, expert-backed guidelines for cleaning every room in your space. Hosts with eligible listings who commit to the protocol will get a special highlight on their listing page, so guests know they’ve committed to following higher standards for cleaning. We know you may have questions about how the program works—like who’s eligible, how the special highlight works, and what to do if you can’t commit to the protocol—and we’ve done our best to answer them in the Resource Center

None of this would have been possible without the feedback so many of you provided here and in our global listening sessions. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and for being part of our host community. 

If you host in the U.S., you can commit to the protocol now

Learn more at Airbnb.com/cleaningresources

80 Replies 80
Stefanie291
Level 2
Georgetown, TX

I'm glad that others view the cleaning protocol as untenable.  I suppose for some smaller spaces or for those who just rent out rooms, it's possible to do these things, but requiring that every dish gets washed between guests is a bit outrageous.  I hope that by not committing to the cleaning protocol potential guests won't assume there is something wrong with the listing.  I'm counting on them to read my reviews and hopefully they can see that the space is kept clean. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Stefanie291,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here. I wonder if you have quite a few dishes and the likelihood is that they won't be used by your guests, perhaps you could reduce the amount of dishes in the listing to save you time? 

Just an idea. 

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie ,

Not a bad idea, though I'm not sure how efficient it is to schlep dishware in and out of the cottage depending on whether or not the guests will be using it. Do I ask them how many plates/bowls/coffee mugs/wine glasses/forks/etc. do you think you'll use during your stay? Or, I could take out all the dishes and just have guests rely on paper products and plastic utensils, though I would still need to wash pots, pans, cooking utensils, knives, cutting boards, bakeware, etc.  My listing has a full kitchen and many guests use the space to cook meals and I don't want to limit their access to amenities.  Besides the "washing all the dishes", I also don't think that I can agree to cleaning out my vacuum cleaner bag between each guest, laundering the drapes, etc.  I know Airbnb is trying to be helpful by providing hosts with these protocols, but it's all a bit daunting.

~S

@Stefanie291 @Lisa723  As a guest I really appreciate a fully equipped kitchen and all of the thoughtful details.  As a host, the prospect of washing all of the drapes, decorative pillows, baseboards, shades, ceilings, etc is daunting.  I will have to remove the puzzles and games, bar cart, playpen, and only have the minimum required dishes and hangers.  sigh

@Lizzie our fully-stocked kitchens receive frequent compliments in our reviews. Limiting the supplied appliances, cookware and tableware to an amount that it would be feasible to entirely rewash between stays would fundamentally change the nature of the listings and I'm sure this is true of many. Still, I guess we might consider it if we find opting out to be an impediment to booking our places. So far, it's not. We are finding though that our clientele has shifted dramatically away from Airbnb this summer. Many/most Airbnb guests canceled while guests booked through other platforms didn't, and dates rebooked were booked via other platforms.

As others have noted, it's odd that we have to choose between the 72-hour buffer and the new cleaning protocol. Having opted in to the buffer I see that the cleaning protocol is no longer even an option for me.

@Lisa723  I didn't realize that, so am I understanding that there is no longer a 24 hour buffer as part of the cleaning protocol, but you have to decide between cleaning protocol/w/no automatic buffer OR a 72 hour buffer?  Crazy.

Airbnb would have been better off w/out developing a cleaning protocol that is so strict it is very doubtful that everyone who buys in will really be doing everything it lists, not to mention, it remains impossible to prove whether or not the cleaning protocol was followed.

I stick with my original idea that they should have created a cleaning tab similar to amenities where hosts can check off what they do, and a separate tab where hosts can describe in a few paragraphs what they are doing for cleaning.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Mark116,

The problem with your logical suggestion is that Airbnb wouldn't be able to promote it compete against the hotels that are marketing their cleaning programs: https://skift.com/2020/05/18/your-guide-to-hotel-companies-coronavirus-safety-and-cleaning-initiativ...

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

I agree with the general sentiment that this is not realistic. My place is cleaner than it's ever been and it was super clean to begin with. My summer calendar is starting to fill up and out of 8 recent bookings, exactly 0 guests have asked about my cleaning protocol (and I don't address it in the listing at any point) or mentioned 'covid'. So it doesn't seem to be top of mind for them. I will still do my part and do my utmost, but not this crazy-town protocol.

Exactly. I have had two guests ask. I told them what I do and asked how they felt about it when they got here. Both said it is the cleanest place they have ever stayed and were very happy with the space. I have not opted in or out of either the new protocol or the 3 day window and our bookings have been fantastic. Not choosing anything seems to be a decent decision at the moment. 

Joy-And-Alan0
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Cleaning fees need to be increased to compensate for the extra time needed between guests and the extra time to sanitize. How do we make that happen for guests who are already booked?

@Joy-And-Alan0 @Airbnb  @Nick @Stephanie  @Lizzie 

Good question, perhaps admin mods can seek some clarification around this question.  Guests booked pre-pandemic but still intending to keep the booking, yet cleaning costs have since increased (if not doubled),......what to do about guests already booked but at the old pre-pandemic cleaning fee?

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Airbnb  Perhaps there should be a 4 stage cleaning protocol, like there were (are) 4 stages of lockdown.  That way, any given set of protocols could apply to any region or any country in like-for-like circumstances. No need to write different protocols for every country or every county or region within a state.  Just select and apply the category that relates. 

We in South Aussie are coronavirus free and have been for weeks.  NZ has recently obtained that status too.   But our state borders remain closed and will for another few weeks.  Melbourne and Sydney however still have a few cases arising and ongoing.  So one set of protocols for Australia/New Zealand etc may not apply for all regions within Aus/NZ.

Better to be able to select the level of cleaning protocol that applies to your region I would think.

Virginia176
Level 2
Brevard, NC

I've added a 5 night minimum with 2 days blocked on either end for reservations through August. The added time allows for additional disinfection procedures. Still,  I think that most anyone who says they are following the new Airbnb cleaning guidelines is full of it. I keep the house  exceedingly clean and am taking added measures to disinfect surfaces, but I cannot remove and wash all of my drapery or disinfect all of the blinds in my entire house between every guest. And who washes their full-sized rugs, much less on a weekly basis? I also do not use a dishwasher on every item in the kitchen. People actually cook at our home, and they appreciate that it is well-stocked with cooking utensils, a full set of dishes, and devices. I will also not waste gloves by changing into a new pair every time I go into a different room. That's irresponsible and does nothing to improve safety versus washing one's hands frequently during the cleaning process. I think Airbnb needs to set up a new cleaning protocol that can actually be followed by hosts. As a potential guest, if I saw that someone"pledged" that they were following these guidelines, I'd be more apt to distrust them than anything else.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Virginia176,

I understand your point of view, and believe the ability to adhere to the cleaning protocol is greatly dependent upon the space size and the type of furnishings within it.  Hosts who have smaller places may be able to attain the recommended steps with less difficulty than those with larger accommodations.  My Atlanta apartment has only three windows and a set of french doors.  Since we will not always be cleaning our place, and we wanted to make it easier for the cleaner to follow the protocol, we replaced the blinds with sheer curtains that can be removed when washing is required. We are going to use fabric disinfectant spray on the room darkening curtains, because they require dry-cleaning. 

We removed kitchen items that were rarely used, such as the waffle maker, food processor, the regular coffee maker, and the extra kitchen towels and mittens.  There are still sufficient culinary gadgets to comfortably cook meals, diningware for four place settings, and an eight piece cookware set.  What's left can be washed in 2 dishwasher cycles, or within 20 minutes if washed by hand.  There are plenty of items that are not dishwasher safe.

It's impractical, and potentially damaging to wash the walls with soap and water as suggested.  We will wipe ours down with a mop dedicated for the walls that is dampened with lightly soaped water, and then spray disinfectant towards the walls.  The handbooks has guidelines for vacuuming rugs and carpets, and spot cleaning any visible dirt, but it doesn't state that they have to be washed.

I agree that disposable gloves are not resourceful, nor required.  The CDC states that disposable or reusable gloves should be worn while cleaning and disinfecting.  The Airbnb handbook should just stress that the gloves should be changed or cleaned in-between the cleaning and disinfecting tasks.  Which is what we will do.

@Virginia176 "As a potential guest, if I saw that someone"pledged" that they were following these guidelines, I'd be more apt to distrust them than anything else."

The guest doesn't see the extent of what the host has signed up to! Guests are only shown that the "committed host": "Sanitizes surfaces/thoroughly cleans/washes all linens/uses approved products/wears a mask&gloves/follows local guidelines".  

That's it! There is a 'read more' link that takes you to an Airbnb page with very little information. On THAT page is another link to 'read more' which takes you to the actual protocol document, which of course is an epic tome with mannnnnnny pages. Snowball in hell has better chance of survival than that document has of being read by ANY guest. So the guest is none the wiser.

Long sorry story long... it makes those of us who haven't signed up look like we refuse to clean anything and the guest is going to be going into a filthy germ ridden hovel, even though we ARE already doing everything listed that the guest sees. I've shaken my head so many times lately I feel it's about to fall off. 

I'm not too worried though...I've had ZERO guests ask about my cleaning procedure or express concern over Covid. So it's not a big deal to them apparently anyway.