Officially introducing the members of Airbnb’s Host Advisory Board

Airbnb
Official Account

Officially introducing the members of Airbnb’s Host Advisory Board

*Posted live: December 16th

belo.png

Today, we’re excited to share a video officially introducing the members of Airbnb’s Host Advisory Board.

As we recently announced, Airbnb is launching a formal program to give hosts a seat at the table. The Host Advisory Board is a group of selected hosts that will not only keep the community informed, but share your feedback directly with Airbnb leadership.  The board will also help inform how  the Airbnb Host Endowment is invested in the community, and influence policies, programs, and new products.

These 17 selected hosts were chosen for their passion, their contributions to the hosting community, and their desire to create a better future for all hosts—among other criteria. Together, they’ve hosted more than 15,000 guests with a combined total of 86 years of hosting experience and an average star rating of 4.9!

*To add or change subtitles to the video, hover over the video and click on the little 'Settings' wheel in the bottom right corner. Then click 'Subtitle/CC' and select your language. 

Watch the video above to meet the community members serving on the board and learn about their individual passions and experience. To find out more about how the board will work together to advocate for the community, check out the latest Host Update article featuring our Head of Hosting, Catherine Powell.

Do keep your eyes peeled here in the Community Center as we will be introducing the board members in the new year. There will be regular opportunities for our new board members to respond to your questions and address important topics.

166 Replies 166

Can you tell me how to get some help?  I just listed my condo and need to sync it asap. This condo is still on VRBO with many bookings.  Every time I try to sync we have an error.  What should I do so I don't get double booked? I don't want to delete and lose everything.

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Hi @Aunda4 If you need help on a specific issue (like calendar sync) you might use the search function of this forum to find simliar questions or post a new question in the help section.

This is CA heavy for US representation. As a CA resident, I question if this is reflective of US Airbnb hosts?

The Airbnb response to the pandemic has favored guests over hosts in my opinion. The challenges of the pandemic should be shared.

The rating should be subject to review in the case there is a dispute between the guest and the host. If the host has a dispute with the guest, it is possible for the guest to retaliate through the rating system. This disincentivizes honest review or utilization of the resolution center. For example, how much in damages is a 1 star review worth? 

The smart pricing does not take into account seasonal booking patterns nor is it abreast of unique factors within a geographic area. Smart pricing actually may not be “smart” and should be advertised as beta as it runs the risk of the host (and Airbnb) losing income.

In addition, 99% of guests are great. But I would say 1% have an attitude that the home is a hotel room and treat it accordingly. For guests on other platforms this has not been the case. This is anecdotal. So the trade off is to list on Airbnb for popularity and expand booking potential, but at the risk to rent to guests who don’t always respect your home. It’s the nature of the business I suppose.

On a positive, the platform is awesome and easy to use. That’s a major bonus.

thanks,

kade 

I totally agree. I recently lost my Superhost status because of this very reason. A guest who lied upfront brought an animal into my home without even notifying me, left my home a disaster and when confronted about it, tried to turn it around on me and then accused me of being racist! I sent photos, tried to get someone from Air B & B to help (that never happened) and then they took away my Superhost. We, as hosts, must be able to vet our potential guests and have recourse if they lie and abuse the policies and terms.  As of now, Air B& B favors the guests over the hosts and I, for one, am frankly over it.

Thanks Anthony, I’m on board with you. This is a challenge no doubt. I find reaching out in advance and making sure the rules are clear helps. I also use a door cam and escalate to Airbnb if needed for resolution (e.g. extra guests, cigs, pets). It seems to help if we check guests in-person and have a quick orientation to the home. Of course with COvId that’s not possible. Most of the trouble making comes when we use the self check in process. VRBO I don’t have these issues for some reason. Different clients I guess. Best of luck and happy to share other learnings! 

I’ll also add, Airbnb reps are generally very helpful. But there have been times I felt they were patronizing. Hard to tell if they were getting it that the host is the one putting their own property and earnings on the line. 

I think the people of the telephone are reading from a script.  It wasn't like that in the begining.. Super host since 2014

Anthony, we had a very similar experience where the guest held an unauthorized party, had extra people come to our house, trashed the place and we could not get any help from Airbnb at all. We still try to collect money from the guest but Airbnb is no help as the guest refuses to pay for these damages and Airbnb has no deposit from the guest to collect from.

That is the reason why we have stopped listing our home at Airbnb and we will not come back before Airbnb makes changes that favor only the guest. No deposit means there is no skin in the game for the guest so they think they can do whatever they want and then retaliate even with a 1 star review. Been there and had that done to us from a guest we even needed the police. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Welcome Antony...   @Antony712 That's terrible. I 'm glad you can be here to influence things more positively. Change is afoot!! Am already becoming aware of Guests not being so 'lucky'. So we are reshaping matters for the better and you can help.

Hi @Kade3,

Thank you for your feedback. It's very much welcomed and appreciated.

We do believe that Airbnb is nothing without its hosts. You are the foundation of our business and it is up to us to work with you on meeting your expectations. And even exceeding them!
The Host Advisory Board is designed to represent and amplify the voices of all hosts as we build the future of our community.

We're making a lot of positive changes moving forward and we look forward to updating you on these as soon as we can. And thank you for your nice words about the platform! I'm so glad you find it easy to use.

Best, Catherine

Thank you Catherine! The pie is large. Beautiful experience for all.

Kade

Catherine, 

All the best up front. I have a question. Why is Christopher Lehane our SVP of Global Policy and Communications?  I am concerned that this gentleman does not represent AirBnB guests, owners etc based on his political bias as exhibited by his recent letter: Airbnb-letter-on-vaccine-distribution-22-Jan-2021.pdf. As well as his wikipedia page. The last thing we need as a global community is leaders with political agendas.

No politics. Especially lawyers who serve for politicians. This is disgusting.

One love. 

Kade

Well, I guess I would not say disgusting, maybe we are lucky to have a great representative in whole. Just reacting to some of the appearance of the politics. Thanks for your support and efforts.

All the best.

Dear Catherine Powell,  Please note that the post from Kade3 seems to be representing her own political bias and She does not represent me as a host.    The pandemic is not and should not be politized, but unfortunately it was prior to January 20, 2021.   Thanks, Jeff

Yes!! We should be able to be refunded through Airbnb from the guest!! And the retaliation reviews should be deleted. 
Still the review is not in the system, but it is coming!!