Our recent change to the guest refund policy

Our recent change to the guest refund policy

B27C0C75-894F-4DE5-95F5-93F9B0EB5DE3.png

Hi Everyone, 

Hosts are the heart and soul of Airbnb. I want you to know we value you, we’re working every day to improve your hosting experience, and we’re listening to you. Recently, we updated our rebooking and refund policy to allow guests up to 72 hours to report travel issues, rather than 24 hours. Let me take you through our thinking as a company to get to this decision. 

As a two-sided marketplace, we are always putting ourselves in the shoes of both Hosts and guests. In this case, guests have been telling us 24 hours wasn’t enough time to reach out for help if something goes wrong. For example, if a guest wasn’t able to check in due to a malfunctioning lock, they may be more focused on getting settled in an alternative location and attending the event they traveled for. We also heard from Hosts that 24 hours often wasn’t enough time to resolve a guest’s concerns. For example, if a guest notified a Host that the air conditioner stopped working, it could take more than a day to contact a repair person and fix it. The 24-hour window was causing guests to feel like they had to cancel early, when more time would have been enough for Hosts to fully address the concern and keep the reservations.

We went through a similar assessment when we considered extending the filing period for Hosts to submit reimbursements requests. As part of AirCover—which includes $1 million in Host damage protection—if guests cause damage, you have 14 days to request reimbursement after they check out, even if other guests have already checked in.

I also want to assure you that we rigorously assess claims from guests in order to help protect you from fraudulent claims. And, we take action to hold guests accountable for those types of violations of our Community Standards. If a Host disagrees with our determination about a guest report, they may contest our decision and if after reviewing evidence provided by the Host, we agree with that Host, they will receive their payout for that reservation.

Your house rules are another important tool to help ensure the guest rebooking and refund policy is used as intended. House rules set and manage expectations for guests. For example, if you have a backyard pool, you might include a note that you make every attempt to keep the pool as clean as possible, but at times leaves and debris may end up on the surface. This can help guests understand why there may be leaves in the pool. 

Because of the importance of house rules, we’ve made them visible to guests when they book, and by booking, guests are agreeing to read and abide by them. House rules are also taken into account when guest refund claims are made, if relevant. Here are some helpful tips for writing and updating your house rules for guests.

We design all of our updates to help build trust, and will continue to do so as we actively listen to your feedback and concerns. I hope this note has addressed some of the questions I have heard. I want to end by thanking you for all that you do to provide the best possible hospitality for our guests.

Warmly, 

Catherine Powell
Airbnb Global Head of Hosting

407 Replies 407

Not the low end in Australia and not when guests book for a week at $1000pn

Not the low end in Australia

Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

My primary concern with the new policy is centered on the rule that a host must pay or reimburse for re-housing a guest at the discretion of Airbnb when a Guest cancellation resulted from the guests dissatisfaction about any inadequate amenity. That amenity rule is too broad and ripe for abuse.

I have further distress about the part of the new policy that requires hosts to re house a guest at Airbnb’s discretion, if it’s unavoidable for me and I must cancel. I always provide a full refund in those cases, and thus far been able to provide a guest with ample time to re book. In fact, I don’t believe I have had to cancel on the Airbnb platform outside of the 48 hr screening window. That said, I now face a re housing cost, on top of the issue of an unavoidable cancellation. I do not see this as a fair and balanced rule. I see it as Airbnb insuring they receive a pay out now matter what, and the Host being penalized. 

@Yvonne41 the re-housing costs were in the old policy as well. I suspect this element of the policy is very rarely (if ever) invoked as no host has ever complained about it on this forum.

Since I was never in that situation on Airbnb, I was clearly naive about their policies. I have had to cancel on VRBO and supplied ample time for the guest to find a new place, and I think VRBO did help find a new place and I was not charged. Maybe a flat fee cancellation fee for the host would be more reasonable, and still provide Airbnb a revenue number to cover the labor of their re housing efforts. That seems a more legitimate way to balance this out.

Victoria-And-Todd0
Level 8
Waynesville, NC

You know, Airbnb is not the only listing platform. Look elsewhere. Houses were rented before "Airbnb" was even a word, and will be rented after. With or without Airbnb. It is up to Airbnb to decide whether houses will be rented WITH their help or without. Enough of host abuse.

Kent181
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

After reading the new refund policy, I have to say there's nothing about the new policy that is host-friendly. How is causing financial stress for hosts a good thing? No one is saying that guests shouldn't be reimbursed if they have a good cause; but how is finding a strand of hair or bug a good reason to cause financial harm to the community you depend on without adequately investigating the facts. This new policy is disastrous to hosts on many levels. So, will hosts now have to document, take pictures and videos before each check-in in preparation for these frivolous claims?

Mel7352
Level 3
Perth, Australia

So disappointed with this new refund policy that is going to encourage scammers.  Till I see how this plays out, I’ve paused my listing in the hope that Airbnb sees that this new policy is not fair to hosts

Stacy60
Level 2
Kemah, TX

This policy is very concerning for hosts.  I've been co-hosting / hosting with Airbnb for 4 years and I also use Airbnb a lot when I travel.   When I first heard of this change I wasn't too concerned because my previous interactions with Airbnb Support has been positive for the most part. I will say 72 hours is WAY too long for a guest to report an issue. Any issues that significantly impact your stay  at a home are easily identifiable within 24 hours of check-in. Also I recently had a friend who is also a Host and they had a guest that stayed for the entire duration of their reservation. AFTER they checked out they took a picture of ONE hair on the sheet and complained to Airbnb and requested a full refund. That hair could have been their own! Airbnb Support refunded the guest!  I was apalled!  Another host friend had a guest leave the back door open for 2 hours, then found 1 june bug in the house and called to complain and request a refund. Pre-COVID I don't think Airbnb Support would have entertained these outrageous claims by guests for even a minute. However now it seems that Airbnb is approving refunds for these claims. How does Airbnb expect to maintain good quality hosts? As hosts we need to know that Airbnb has our back and will not support ridiculous petty claims by guests. I just added a new listing as a co-host and I've been screening guests way harder than I've done previously. Especially if it's a new Airbnb user with no prior reviews. I'm also looking into other options and will be adding direct booking and other platforms so I can reduce and eventually eliminate Airbnb if these policies don't change.

Suraj8
Level 2
Goa, India

Hi @Catherine-Powell ,

I just had to go through this horrible experience of guests taking wrong advantage of these policies and the customer support ambassador MIKEE approved guest's refund request without checking with us or knowing our side. He emails me at 3am IST and then emails again in 1 hour and closes the case. To my shock , i wake up to read this email and see a negative amount of Rs.51700 . The guests stayed their full stay and parties and made a mess at the property. Checked in Early and checked out late. and when they reached home they called airbnb again to get the refund. with a lie Stating "There is no kitchen in the villa" and that the property is dirty. They took the pictures of the areas such as Back up generator (where guest are not even allowed to enter) and send to the airbnb . This support guy Mikee has refunded them the amount. Please advise me on how i can challenge this decision and get our hard earned money back. We feel like being duped and airbnb supported it.

Please help

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Suraj8 This is exactly the type of situation that hosts are frightened is going to happen to them...even though Airbnb seem to think it's not. Hope you get it sorted out.

@Suraj8 @Paul1255 @Catherine-Powell 

This is exactly the type of situation ALREADY HAPPENING on a daily basis and will happen even more often if/when this new policy will be implemented.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

what a terrible story! so sorry to hear about this. 

Lindy72
Level 2
St George's, Grenada

AirBnB would continue to make updates that seem fair until we contact the customer servixe to for asistance with an issue.  The service reps always seem to side with the guests first.  This is until you push and push with your points of view so they couLd fully appreciate the situation at hand.  This new policy change seems fair.  Let us see how itworks out