Party policy updates, Superhost status extensions, and more in Catherine’s latest Host Update

Airbnb
Official Account

Party policy updates, Superhost status extensions, and more in Catherine’s latest Host Update

BeloRauschBG (1).png

If you watched the first Host Update from our new Global Head of Hosting Catherine Powell, you’ll know that we are working on rebuilding our business around hosts, and giving you more transparency along the way. 

Today, we’re sharing Catherine’s latest Host Update with you. In this video, she discusses important priorities and insights for hosts at Airbnb right now. These include how Airbnb is handling parties, active steps being taken to support Superhosts, and why it can pay off to commit to higher standards for cleaning. 

Once you’ve watched the video, we’d really love to hear from you. Please let us know what you’d like us to cover in future Host Updates with Catherine.

Thank you.

139 Replies 139
Zhixin0
Level 2
Southbank, Australia

@Catherine-Powell I appreciate seeing this initiative and in fact watched this video when it was first posted. Now a few months later I feel like I am experiencing exactly what you have described as an issue.

At the start of August I hosted a guest but to my disappointment my place was returned to me in a completely different state the guest smoked inside the property damaged furniture, the carpet and even decided take everything from towels to cleaning supplies. I immediately contacted Airbnb and documented everything! I was asked to put a claim through the resolutions page which I did - a lot of work went into it. I attempted to restore the property right away by getting someone to steam clean all to no avail in the middle of stage 4 lockdowns.

I was then put in touch with Broadspire - I believe a third party and had to provide all of the information again (mind you a lot of work when documenting every individual piece of item). But some 2 months later I still have no resolution plenty of emails going back and fourth but the dollar figure that is being offered is completely out of line. Depreciation methods are being used which don't align with the actual use of the furniture and carpet and I keep advising them of the actual use which can be supported by my calendar page all to no avail. 

I even blocked the listing right away as it was in no state to be rented out but am now apparently not entitled to loss of rental compensation - effectively I should have continued to accept requests and then cancelled them according to this third party I am dealing with. I made every effort to be in touch with Airbnb throughout the process and should have been provided this advice when notifying them that I would block the dates and request compensation.

I am very disappointed by the way this process has played out and would like to know how this process will be concluded. What are my options when it comes to finding a fair resolution - as some 25 emails later we are not one bit closer to the end and this process shouldn't take this long!

Best Regards,

Zhixin Li

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Zhixin0, I've just received an update on your case, so I will send you a DM with more info now 😊

Stupa-Guest-House0
Level 2
Kathmandu, Nepal

namaste Catherine its very glad to watch your very wonderful video which is very helpful to increase booking and take opportunity to host our very wonderful Guest from around the global .

During The Pandemic situation we are just suffering by The financially  Because   No booking .

we are more positive up coming days that wonderful video watching that keep me more motivated  Thank you for share those kind of video with Hugs 

Ram and family with Jack

your co host Stupa Guest House       

Trisa0
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

This new policy has some good insights but I’ve run into a big problem for both guests and new users! I have a new user wanting to book the house for her family of four with a 3 year older daughter. She can’t since the August 20th policy went into effect because she doesn’t have any reviews. First how is a new user allowed to establish reviews if they never have the chance to prove themselves. The live chat suggested she use someone else’s account to make the reservation. This is encouraging fraudulence and still doesn’t allow the new user to establish good reviews. In addition this puts well reviewed guests ratings at unnecessary risk as they may be trying to help a friend they can’t control how others will respect their ratings. It also is totally unfair to super hosts like myself who have used Airbnb for close to 10 years and never had a neighborhood complaint ever because I care about my status and vet my new guests as best I can and have seemed to do a good job. I host many first timers families and this will severely impact my business and income! I am hoping this is an oversight that will be fixed right away…if not I am ver disappointed in Airbnb who claims to care about their users. Not a great way to encourage or welcome new users and a great way to punish super hosts for the irresponsibility of hosts who obviously don’t care about their neighborhood and this community by allowing parties especially of 16…which I don’t allow parties of any kind. It’s a place to stay not to party and I make that clear to all my guests but now I’m losing income because of those who do. Please fix this part of this policy or I’m out as a host. I can go to full time rental instead. 

Rhonda320
Level 2
Pasadena, CA

Unfortunately, some guests will be and have been excellent liars and throw parties after they check-in.  Hosts have zero recourse at that moment.  Legally, we can't have them thrown out.  The police won't assist unless they are doing something illegal.  The Los Angeles County Sheriff Department does not consider having a party illegal.  We, as hosts, need some sort of guaranteed financial recourse if a guest is proven to have had a party.   A clearly stated financial penalty by Airbnb would also deter many from throwing them.