Secrets from a 16-quarter Superhost

Airbnb
Official Account

Secrets from a 16-quarter Superhost

Superhost Nikki.jpg

Nikki was one of the first hosts on Airbnb to earn Superhost status when the program first rolled out in 2014. She’s maintained that status for 16 consecutive quarters.

How does Nikki do it? She learned hosting from the ground up, starting with a tiny cottage in her own backyard in California. That single listing performed so well that Nikki was inspired to expand into renting out her full house during family vacations.

We sat down with Nikki to get the scoop on how she’s been so successful as a Superhost on Airbnb. Here’s what she had to say.

Why did you start hosting?

Six years ago, I stayed in my first Airbnb in Provence, France and loved it. It was a tiny little studio in the old town of Aix. It served our needs really well, but the hosts hadn’t really put much effort into making it charming or anything. I realized that if I put a bit of money into it, I could make something super special with the little 200-square-foot guest house in my backyard. I assumed it would only get booked rarely, but I was surprised when it got booked right away for a full week.

You got that first booking in your backyard cottage in less than a day. Why do you think it got booked so quickly?

I had cute photos, which is definitely a huge part of getting booked. And I had priced it really low since it was a brand new listing. I do this every time I bring a new listing online. I start with an initial listing price that is only 50‒70% of what the market rate is, until I have at least three reviews (or until I am getting so many booking requests that I can raise the price to market rates). I do this so I can work out the kinks without sacrificing good reviews, and because it is important to get a bunch of reviews as soon as possible so the listing appears higher in search rankings.

Have your expectations of hosting differed from the reality?

I really didn’t have specific expectations or an overall vision as a I got into hosting. It all happened very organically. I took opportunities as I saw them come up, and eventually became really involved with hosting. But I didn’t have a specific income in mind when I started.

Staying booked is key to being successful. How have you created such popular listings?

It all starts with a good space. It has to be clean, that’s the number one thing. I like my spaces open and airy. Very uncluttered, but with design focal points that provide places for your eyes to rest. It also has to be comfortable, especially the beds. I invest in memory foam mattresses, and people love them. It’s really an exercise in empathy. You walk through the space and think about how people will use it, then fit your design concept around that.

Having a good space is one thing, but how do you stand out among all the other great spaces on Airbnb?

Having good photos makes all the difference. Professional photos are a must. I think about what the space is, whether it’s a family space or ideal for a certain type of traveler, and I put that in the title. Write a really good description that’s very detailed and inviting, so that you’re drawing someone into the listing. Describe the beds, the linens, name brands of specific types of soap or amenities you’re providing. This is also where you want to start setting guest expectations. Make sure you include descriptions of your property’s quirks, like if a bedroom has weird doors or anything like that, and mention it several times in the listing. But explain it in such a way that it’s honest and clear, without being a turnoff. You want to attract good fits and provide enough transparency to help your guests select for the property that they want.

How else do you help set guest expectations?

For me, communication is the number one rule of good hosting. Beyond the listing, your direct communication with a guest starts right with that first inquiry. I always ask potential guests a few follow-up questions after every booking request, not to be rude or nosey, but just to make sure that the listing is a good fit for them. Really, you’re starting the process of getting a five-star review at that point.

What strategies do you use to make sure you’re communicating well with guests?

Outsourcing email communications has been a lifesaver. I use a paid service that I load up with pre-written form emails. So when a guest books a listing, they receive an automated welcome email that includes the House Manual and any instructions relevant to the space, such as how to turn on the hot water. It’s too time consuming to compose emails individually and I have no problem sending form emails. It’s a necessary part of hosting. I want to make sure every guest gets the right information with no missing pieces.

What has surprised you most about being a host?

The biggest surprise to me is how wonderful the guests have been. I’ve had maybe five incidents over the years where someone wasn’t happy, but for the most part, people have been so honest and kind and understanding. And on an economic front, I was surprised at the income. I didn’t go into this expecting to do so well, let alone turn it into a career. I’ve focused on the things I really like about hosting and pursued opportunities when I saw them, and it’s turned out really well.

*[If you wish to send Nikki a message regarding her interview, please reply publicly below or via direct message here in the Community Center (by clicking 'Send Message' in her Community Center profile]

106 Replies 106
Allie32
Level 2
Asbury Park, NJ

Thank you for sharing this story. I am a newbie in hosting and this was my 1st year trying Airbnb to offset mortgage bills. What I didnt expect is how much fun is going to be meeting new people and sharing " all the best of my city" has to offer.

I try to prepare house to add small personal touches depending on a group and it worked very well. Once i see reviews that people leave and how much they enjoyed time at my home, it makes all the efforts well worth

Best of luck to everyone! 

Lucy16
Level 2
Bairnsdale, Australia

Great job Nikki... I can totally agree that creating a great space for specific guests really helps get your listing noticed to attract the right fit !