Showing Eager Travelers What’s Made Possible by Hosts

Administrator in
Malibu, CA
Administrator

I hope those of you who were able to catch Brian’s preview of our Global Host Campaign enjoyed the films we premiered. I am proud of this campaign for many reasons, but mostly because it’s about you, and the magic that you create each and every day. 

For those of you who missed it, Brian gave our Host community an exclusive look at the first three films of our Made Possible by Hosts campaign. These films remind me of what makes travel on Airbnb so unique: Hosts like you who always go the extra mile to create such memorable experiences for your guests. He also talked about how broad the reach of this campaign would be, which is one of many ways we’re investing to help drive more demand to your listings as travel returns. 

To help you prepare for when things open back up, Brian also shared some of the top travel trends and insights we’re seeing for 2021. Our recent survey shows a shift from mass travel to meaningful travel - 41% of people surveyed said they miss the type of travel that allows for time and reconnection with their closest family and friends. There’s also a greater desire to stay closer to home - 56% of people said they want to travel nearby and prefer a domestic or local destination. 

These trends can help us be prepared. We’re sharing them with you so you can get ready for the evolving needs of your guests. And we’re using them throughout the company to inform the tools and guidance we’ll be offering you throughout the year. You can read more insights from our U.S. consumer survey here. There will be more surveys conducted in other countries coming, and I look forward to sharing our findings from that research soon. 

We did hear from some of you who were unable to connect to Thursday’s live event and we want to apologize for the experience that you had. We hope you’ll watch the replay. And stay tuned for even more films in the weeks ahead, featuring a range of Hosts, listings and travelers from our community around the world, including accommodation and Experience Hosts, too.  

Working with Hosts to make these films has been such a joy. We couldn't make one with everyone, but I'm certain every single Host has an inspiring story to share. So tell me: what would a spot about your hospitality reveal? And what song would you pick for the soundtrack?

Labels (1)
25 Replies

Re: Showing Eager Travelers What’s Made Possible by Hosts

in
England, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Catherine-Powell I hope the Host Advisory Board is getting a similar level of attention as these videos are. Judging from the technical issues (which were hilarious by the way seeing the technicians trying to set up) for Brians preview and the fact the HAB hasn't provided any meaningful output in 3 months I guess they are.

in
Paris, France
Level 10

Salut @Catherine-Powell,

Félicitations!

Congratulations to all involved with the films!

"Amazing, Powerful and Unforgettable " both 3 films are a very good story, most enjoyable and "Absolutely superb!"

Superb camera work to capture touching emotions.

Spectacular, Greatest songs choice and may hear for decades.

Beautiful short, wonderful direction, everything.........

The films made me emotional and I've lost count of how many times I've watched. I even forgot the seats briefly.

I'm proud to be an Airbnb host and willing to learn to be a better host and even work harder.

What else I can say?

" Brilliant - Thanks!!! "

Dale and Dan

Administrator in
Malibu, CA
Administrator

salut @Dale711 merci pour votre message!

J'ai hâte de voir vos reactions quand vous verrez les films suivants!

Bien à vous!

Catherine

in
Singapore
Level 10

Hi @Catherine-Powell !

It was a great campaign indeed, very emotional and nicely captured. Aside from the emotional context, Airbnb could showcase the practical aspect of hosting. Just a week ago, I found myself a place on Airbnb to stay on a road trip very last minute. Gone those days I have to book hotels in advanced or make a detour to stay in a nearby town/city. I can now book a place to stay wherever along my road trip to stay for a night or two. There are homes popping everywhere welcoming me. It's made possible by hosts who are willing to host me! 

While being away, I sure do miss hosting. I've been told by many of the guests I hosted that my home is a place where they found calmness. They were at a crossroad in their life, and somehow staying with me and my home, they found their way. A few months or years later, I discovered that they are all at a better place in their life. The soundtrack that I would pick is 'Paths That Cross' by Patti Smith. 

I can't wait to share more stories in my book which I am still working on. This is my way to keep inspiring others even when I am no longer able to host one day. 

Take care!

Yuan

Administrator in
Malibu, CA
Administrator

hi @Yuan100 

thank you for your thoughts. I am listening to Paths That Cross as i reply to you. I have to admit I didnt know it, so thank you for introducing me to it.  "Rise up hold the reins; we'll meet again I don't know when".

Those lyrics feel very appropriate today!

Good luck with your book!

Warm wishes, Catherine

in
Darwin, Australia
Level 10

Great song choice @Yuan100!

in
NY, NY
Level 10

@Catherine-Powell  A spot about mine would reveal the weight of the world falling off the shoulders of my guests as they get out of their cars, take in the air, and move into the house.  Walking through the house and turning lights on and taking in the view indoors and out as they go, their smiles get bigger and they get lighter and lighter until their feet aren't touching the ground at all.

The soundtrack is hard!  I'm going to go with "This Is the Remix" by Girl Talk - because I have a guest remix going on right now!  Two sets of guests checked in to two of my places on Friday night.  The first guest checked into the wrong house.  The second guest called when she arrived and found the first guests in the place she'd  booked.  Because of Covid, we all decided not to make any effort to change it.  The first arrivals stayed where they were and the later arrival went to the other place, and they're all still in the wrong places, completely happy with the way it worked out. 

My daughter thinks it should be a marketing hook:  whichever place you end up in, you'll be happy.

Administrator in
Malibu, CA
Administrator

Hi @Ann72 I love this  Happy Ever After story!

Reading your message, and your daughter's thoughts,  made me think of Paul Young's Wherever I Lay My Hat... that's my home.

and I love the image of Hosts taking away the weight of the world from their guests!

best to you, and your daughter,

Catherine

in
Auckland, New Zealand
Level 10

Thanks @Catherine-Powell  & @Brian 

Wonderful to see yet another dog!!

I think you would find people in New Zealand miss their 'Sports' if you did a similar survey here amongst those of us in our wider community.

Those we know and talk to are very much missing our international travel & tend not to have any fears to jump back on board a plane to venture overseas.

The results of people traveling for business in your survey are not surprising as "Business people tended to travel a lot for work and miss their families and their milestones when they are away", Alas there's many people who are at the point in their lives who have worked hard and saved and want to go away including to see family based overseas where they originate from or have close ties before they die.

Those people should be enjoying their advancing years and have disposable monies.

They are also in the core market of Homeshare type of accommodation and have lovingly opened their homes to others over the years to cater for a gap in the accommodation sector.

You may find that they are a greater market than those who perhaps are hesitant to share with others.

Administrator in
Malibu, CA
Administrator

Hello @Helen427 

I very much agree with your view that there are growing numbers of people who are at a point in their lives when they are able  and want to travel, and able to host. Our platform is there to enable both (once we are all on the other side of Covid). We have a spot in the campaign that talks to this - i can't wait for you to see it!

best, Catherine 

in
Denver, CO
Host Advisory Board Member

Hello @Catherine-Powell! Love the campaign. I would likely select a segment from Carole King’s “You’ve Got a Friend”.  I love the message of friendship - that guests have friends (hosts) everywhere in the world. This song really resonates with me and reflects what we do everyday as hosts! Well done. 

Administrator in
Malibu, CA
Administrator

Hi @Susan208 - i love that song! it would be perfect.

Hope you are well and thank you for the time you have spent recently with the team. They find it hugely valuable!

Best to you, Catherine

in
Denver, CO

Hey@Catherine-Powell.  Thrilled to work with your team.  Susan 

Betreff: Showing Eager Travelers What’s Made Possible by Hosts

in
Stuttgart, Germany

Sharing our home with guests from far countries and different cultures generates so many lovely hosting stories. We still remember very well a student who studied in Germany: One day she invited her family to visit her. She consciously decided to book Airbnb homes for their trip, so her parents were able to get a deeper insight to our local culture.

Even though there was no common language with her parents (her daughter had to translate), we had a great time and exchanged experiences and emotions. It’s important to see what humanity has in common.

And they shared their freshly homemade Chinese breakfast with us:

Sharing breakfastSharing breakfast

Comment