Strengthening our commitment to community standards

Airbnb
Official Account

Strengthening our commitment to community standards

377189951_IMG_8839_FRET.jpg

Hosts around the world have told us how much hosting means to them—personally and financially—and how rewarding great guest experiences can be. On the flip side, a bad experience with a guest can be frustrating and, in rare cases, even disruptive. We know these moments can meaningfully impact you and your time, money, and local community.

You’ve also given us feedback that you’d like us to hold the entire community, both hosts and guests, to the same high standards. We agree. That’s why in early 2020, we’ll be rolling out enhanced guest standards that set higher expectations for a trustworthy community. 

Establishing stronger guest standards

Our new Guest Standards Policy will clarify what Airbnb expects of guests, with the goal of ensuring that hosts can consistently have more positive experiences. When a guest doesn’t meet one of the standards outlined in the policy, they’ll receive a warning with education around how to be a better guest. We’ll track and weigh infractions (based on their severity), and repeated infractions may lead to suspension or removal of a guest from the platform. 

These guest standards build upon existing policies we already have in place to address the more serious trust and safety issues that result in immediate removal from the platform. We’re enhancing our system to better monitor for guests who engage in less serious misconduct, so that we can educate and take appropriate action against those guests. 

By setting clear standards, staffing teams to take action, and putting technology in place to track noncompliance, we expect to improve overall guest behavior and increase community trust. 

So what are the standards?

The new guest standards address some of the most common concerns expressed by our host community, and support our broader efforts to address parties that are unauthorized or disturb the community. Beginning in early 2020, the new policy will cover these five scenarios:

1. Excessive noise: A disruptive level of noise, like loud music, prolonged shouting, or repeated pounding or stomping. It does not include complaints about minor or short-term disruptions (like a loud phone call) or noise that can’t be avoided (like walking up and down the stairs).
  2. Major cleanliness concerns: Anything that requires excessive cleaning after a guest checks out. This means extensive amounts of trash, debris, or food strewn throughout the property. It does not mean minor messes (like food left in the fridge or bagged trash left next to a trash can) or anything that could be considered part of normal wear and tear or turnover (like unwashed linens or a dirty kitchen).
  3. Unauthorized guests: When more guests stay overnight or visit the space than the host has authorized for that reservation.
  4. Unauthorized parking: When a guest or one of their visitors parks in an area that the host designated as off-limits, or when a guest or their visitors exceeds the number of cars that the host allows to park at the property, as set out in the listing description.
  5. Unauthorized smoking: When a guest or one of their visitors smokes inside the listing and the listing description prohibits smoking (this includes the use of tobacco, marijuana, e-cigarettes, etc.).

The new Guest Standards Policy kicks in when it’s been determined that a guest has engaged in one of these behaviors. Hosts may report a violation, and we’ll also accept reports of excessive noise through our Neighbor Reporting tool or from local law enforcement. 

What you can do 

We encourage you to clearly outline what you expect of guests in your House Rules, listing description, and messages to your guests. It’s particularly important to specify your rules around parking, extra guests, and smoking so we know if it should be considered “unauthorized” under the policy. When a guest fails to uphold these standards, it’s important to begin by addressing the issue with them directly—this is often the quickest path to resolution. In all cases, be ready to provide evidence that demonstrates a rule has been broken, whether that’s photos of excessive trash left in your space, an emailed complaint from a neighbor, or some other documentation. 

What comes next 

The second phase of the rollout will include additional scenarios we know are top of mind for you, like late checkouts, late check-ins, and unauthorized pets. Our goal is to roll out these additional standards later in 2020. Over time, and with your feedback, we expect to cover even more situations that are important to you. 

Your top questions, answered

Over the past few weeks, we’ve spent a lot of time talking to hosts and collecting feedback on this new policy. We’ve addressed a few of the top questions below.

Why are you rolling out guest standards in phases? 

These new standards represent a significant change for the community (both hosts and guests), and we want to make sure they’re working as intended before we expand them. Rolling out the policy in phases lets us carefully experiment with the standards, education and warning systems, processes, and technology systems we’re using. We aim to gradually expand and refine the policy to address other challenges that are specific to certain groups of hosts as well as different property types. This will be a journey, and we appreciate your input along the way. 

What happens if I report an urgent safety incident while it’s occurring?

If you or your property is in danger, you should always contact local authorities first. We already have policies in place to handle severe safety issues, like assault and violent threats. Violators of these policies are, and will continue to be, subject to immediate removal from the platform. We’re also in the process of rolling out an Urgent Support Line that routes hosts directly to agents who are specifically trained to handle these kinds of calls. The goal is to ensure your call is handled quickly and consistently, so you feel supported every time. 

How will I be supported when I call in with an issue about a guest in one of these scenarios?

As part of the new policy, hosts can request penalty-free cancellations for the remaining nights in a reservation when a guest has violated these standards and the situation cannot be resolved. And as always, if there is any damage to your property as a result of one of the above scenarios, you can file a claim under our $1,000,000 USD Host Guarantee.   

Why aren’t you enforcing all of my House Rules?

Initially, the new Guest Standards Policy will focus on the House Rules that hosts have told us they care about most. We know there are lots of other scenarios that hosts include in their House Rules and listing details. And while these scenarios are important to you, they may not be relevant to all hosts (e.g. rules around whether shoes or certain types of food are allowed in the home). Although these more personal rules aren’t covered by our new Guest Standards Policy, you can help set the right expectations with clear communication—sometimes a respectful reminder can be enough to resolve an issue. 

Keep the feedback coming

You've been telling us we need more robust guest standards to make our community stronger. We expect that, over time, these changes will improve guest behavior and your experiences as a host. We’re pleased to take this critical step in our journey to improve safety and reliability for our hosts. There’s still a lot more work to be done, and we appreciate your ongoing input. 

The growth of our community, and the trust we’ve built, could not have happened without your partnership. Thank you for all you do, and please let us know if you have any feedback in the comments below. 

754 Replies 754

Neither is it illegal to collect a "pet fee" whether it's a service animal or not. A pet fee is for the physical stay of the animal which is supposed to cover his hair removals all over the unit (even if they are very short haired), so for Airbnb to think of a service dog being forcefully treated "in writing" as a human is beyond me, and that pet fees don't apply for service dogs is just another biased scenario that we all encounter at Airbnb.

The acceptance of any pet in any type of property should be treated with regards and thankfulness towards all hosts. We don't have to accept anything. The fact that some of us do doesn't give Airbnb nor any guest a free ticket disguised under the premises of a "service dog" to come in with their 40 pound german shepherd service dog or their 5 pound chihuahua (yes, I do treat them the same because the german shepherd sheds all over the place and more than likely will not go on the furniture, but a chihuahua on the other hand, is supposed to shed less, they might; but in the end, these tiny dogs even sleep with the guests on the bed even if we list it shouldn't be done, so we end up having to change all the linens throughout the entire unit.....who ever said the pet fee is not relevant for service dogs???).

Service dogs should be treated as every other dog rule in any house or unit and should definitely be disclosed prior to any guest booking.

Also, the people who check in after the animal has checked out, might have pet allergies. You probably realize by now that it takes weeks for all the pet hair to "settle". Some people don't want pet hair in their food or on their clothes.

We should be allowed to say "no animals of any kind." It's MY home. It's MY property. Air B & B does not own this property!  I should be allowed to decide who and "what" occupies my home!

It is against the law to refuse service dogs, but guests should be required to show the official service dog certificates, as well as paying for extra cleaning. 

Jim and Anneke

That law is for public property. MY home is PRIVATE property.

You should check the landlord tenant act laws for your state.... in my state.. If you are a landlord renting multiple properties or units you are bound by the law of not discriminating against 'service animals' however, if you are a person ONLY renting your private property short term, you are not bound by that law. Leaving you with the right to turn down ANY animal, service or not...

Even though I have a no animals policy (notice I say animals not pets, people with service animals do not consider them pets) I have many inquires asking if they can bring their dog etc..

bottom line is ... People don't read the listings...

People don't read the listing details. They only check the cost of renting an accomodation.

Renee40
Level 2
Arizona, United States

Aug 2019 ~ Airbnb  patted our bad guests on their heads and gave them all of their money back for breaking our Ranch Rules. 4 People Max and NO PETS allowed with a signed rental agreement to boot. Our neighbor called us to alert us that 4 cars with loud music just drove by and looked like a party was going on at our house. We pull up our outdoor security cameras to see 4 cars, 8 people and 2 dogs entering our Ranch. Broke our 4 Guests MAX and NO PETS  rule by 100%. We could have lost our zoning for 8 people and 2 dogs showing up at our Ranch in the middle of the night. What did Airbnb do, put all of the blame on us. lol.  After reading what everyone has just said, I think it is time to leave Airbnb and their problem guests for good! 

I think it is time to leave Airbnb and their problem guests for good! 

Yes.  You are 100% right. 

The "Trust & Safety" team is no such thing! 

Airbnb REWARDS guests' bad behavior.  And Airbnb Guests know it. 

"House Rules" are entirely wishful thinking.

We just had to throw in the towel - getting tired of spending hours on the phone with each bank experience.  We sold our vacation property.  We wish Airbnb treated hosts with the same respect as guests - it's unfortunate.

So much for consequences. And for thinking that being "forcibly removed from the platform" is any form of compensation on punishment for either party.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

It is against the law to take money for something not provided so therefore you cannot expect to recieve money.This is an interesting law but in the case of having a cancellation policy payout provided that is actually a form of insurance I believe.Other monies requested from guests would have to be reimburments for extras or damages.different money. tricky I know but we all originally are simply letting our homes.

I couldn't agree with you more. It IS the ONLY form of insurance hosts have. This is why I have always had a strict cancellation policy which has been very, very helpful in keeping the guests "on track". I have had payouts for this and maybe just a little less bookings than I would like, but in the end it pays off. It's also a way to "weed" out groups of teenagers that just want to party.

And yes....the thought that we are renting OUR HOMES should prevail at all times. No superhosts badge will pay anything for our patrimony!

Renee40
Level 2
Arizona, United States

Well said Annie. Airbnb should always take out our full Damage/ Security Deposit also. The bad guests would never book our properties in the first bloody place! Amen....

@Susan17   All the guest has to do if charged for unused days is dispute  the charge with the credit card company.  If that happens, the credit card company will reverse charges and you ultimately will have to refund.  I would prefer the penalty free aspect restrict the guest ability to review the host.

Maybe so, @Linda108, but if the guest knew that they had to go to all the hassle of disputing, and filing a chargeback claim, it would still be a hell of a lot more of a deterrent than guests  being fully aware that no matter how badly they thrash your house or disturb your neighbours,  Airbnb will simply hand them back their money if the host is forced to evict them because of their anti-social or criminal behaviour. 

And if Airbnb introduced a policy in their Terms of Service, whereby they made it perfectly clear that no refunds would be given in the case of evictions resulting from certain serious violations, that would solve a lot of problems too.