Strengthening our commitment to community standards

Airbnb
Official Account

Strengthening our commitment to community standards

377189951_IMG_8839_FRET.jpg

Hosts around the world have told us how much hosting means to them—personally and financially—and how rewarding great guest experiences can be. On the flip side, a bad experience with a guest can be frustrating and, in rare cases, even disruptive. We know these moments can meaningfully impact you and your time, money, and local community.

You’ve also given us feedback that you’d like us to hold the entire community, both hosts and guests, to the same high standards. We agree. That’s why in early 2020, we’ll be rolling out enhanced guest standards that set higher expectations for a trustworthy community. 

Establishing stronger guest standards

Our new Guest Standards Policy will clarify what Airbnb expects of guests, with the goal of ensuring that hosts can consistently have more positive experiences. When a guest doesn’t meet one of the standards outlined in the policy, they’ll receive a warning with education around how to be a better guest. We’ll track and weigh infractions (based on their severity), and repeated infractions may lead to suspension or removal of a guest from the platform. 

These guest standards build upon existing policies we already have in place to address the more serious trust and safety issues that result in immediate removal from the platform. We’re enhancing our system to better monitor for guests who engage in less serious misconduct, so that we can educate and take appropriate action against those guests. 

By setting clear standards, staffing teams to take action, and putting technology in place to track noncompliance, we expect to improve overall guest behavior and increase community trust. 

So what are the standards?

The new guest standards address some of the most common concerns expressed by our host community, and support our broader efforts to address parties that are unauthorized or disturb the community. Beginning in early 2020, the new policy will cover these five scenarios:

1. Excessive noise: A disruptive level of noise, like loud music, prolonged shouting, or repeated pounding or stomping. It does not include complaints about minor or short-term disruptions (like a loud phone call) or noise that can’t be avoided (like walking up and down the stairs).
  2. Major cleanliness concerns: Anything that requires excessive cleaning after a guest checks out. This means extensive amounts of trash, debris, or food strewn throughout the property. It does not mean minor messes (like food left in the fridge or bagged trash left next to a trash can) or anything that could be considered part of normal wear and tear or turnover (like unwashed linens or a dirty kitchen).
  3. Unauthorized guests: When more guests stay overnight or visit the space than the host has authorized for that reservation.
  4. Unauthorized parking: When a guest or one of their visitors parks in an area that the host designated as off-limits, or when a guest or their visitors exceeds the number of cars that the host allows to park at the property, as set out in the listing description.
  5. Unauthorized smoking: When a guest or one of their visitors smokes inside the listing and the listing description prohibits smoking (this includes the use of tobacco, marijuana, e-cigarettes, etc.).

The new Guest Standards Policy kicks in when it’s been determined that a guest has engaged in one of these behaviors. Hosts may report a violation, and we’ll also accept reports of excessive noise through our Neighbor Reporting tool or from local law enforcement. 

What you can do 

We encourage you to clearly outline what you expect of guests in your House Rules, listing description, and messages to your guests. It’s particularly important to specify your rules around parking, extra guests, and smoking so we know if it should be considered “unauthorized” under the policy. When a guest fails to uphold these standards, it’s important to begin by addressing the issue with them directly—this is often the quickest path to resolution. In all cases, be ready to provide evidence that demonstrates a rule has been broken, whether that’s photos of excessive trash left in your space, an emailed complaint from a neighbor, or some other documentation. 

What comes next 

The second phase of the rollout will include additional scenarios we know are top of mind for you, like late checkouts, late check-ins, and unauthorized pets. Our goal is to roll out these additional standards later in 2020. Over time, and with your feedback, we expect to cover even more situations that are important to you. 

Your top questions, answered

Over the past few weeks, we’ve spent a lot of time talking to hosts and collecting feedback on this new policy. We’ve addressed a few of the top questions below.

Why are you rolling out guest standards in phases? 

These new standards represent a significant change for the community (both hosts and guests), and we want to make sure they’re working as intended before we expand them. Rolling out the policy in phases lets us carefully experiment with the standards, education and warning systems, processes, and technology systems we’re using. We aim to gradually expand and refine the policy to address other challenges that are specific to certain groups of hosts as well as different property types. This will be a journey, and we appreciate your input along the way. 

What happens if I report an urgent safety incident while it’s occurring?

If you or your property is in danger, you should always contact local authorities first. We already have policies in place to handle severe safety issues, like assault and violent threats. Violators of these policies are, and will continue to be, subject to immediate removal from the platform. We’re also in the process of rolling out an Urgent Support Line that routes hosts directly to agents who are specifically trained to handle these kinds of calls. The goal is to ensure your call is handled quickly and consistently, so you feel supported every time. 

How will I be supported when I call in with an issue about a guest in one of these scenarios?

As part of the new policy, hosts can request penalty-free cancellations for the remaining nights in a reservation when a guest has violated these standards and the situation cannot be resolved. And as always, if there is any damage to your property as a result of one of the above scenarios, you can file a claim under our $1,000,000 USD Host Guarantee.   

Why aren’t you enforcing all of my House Rules?

Initially, the new Guest Standards Policy will focus on the House Rules that hosts have told us they care about most. We know there are lots of other scenarios that hosts include in their House Rules and listing details. And while these scenarios are important to you, they may not be relevant to all hosts (e.g. rules around whether shoes or certain types of food are allowed in the home). Although these more personal rules aren’t covered by our new Guest Standards Policy, you can help set the right expectations with clear communication—sometimes a respectful reminder can be enough to resolve an issue. 

Keep the feedback coming

You've been telling us we need more robust guest standards to make our community stronger. We expect that, over time, these changes will improve guest behavior and your experiences as a host. We’re pleased to take this critical step in our journey to improve safety and reliability for our hosts. There’s still a lot more work to be done, and we appreciate your ongoing input. 

The growth of our community, and the trust we’ve built, could not have happened without your partnership. Thank you for all you do, and please let us know if you have any feedback in the comments below. 

754 Replies 754
Denis227
Level 10
La Boissière-École, FR

Quoting from an article published today in France 

IN CONCRETE TERMS.......

In a lengthy interview posted recently on the Recode Decode website, Brian Chesky said: "The challenge is that you can not physically inspect seven, eight or nine million properties" and that it will therefore be necessary to act on, at less, two levers : 

- by charging part of the audit to the owners because sending inspectors (or, in this case, sub-contracting private companies of AirBnB) is expensive ...
- by operating remote controls, based on less accurate and therefore less expensive parameters (see below) while waiting to absorb the processing volume of all addresses.

For AirBnB's boss, in any case, the objective of checking everything is  not negotiable and the platform will therefore use all means to achieve it.

If all homes will not be subject to a physical verification (that is, on site, with an AirBnB certified investigator), all addresses will be passed through the sieve of artificial intelligence tools AirBnB . And that, without exception, if we believe the words of Chesky .

In concrete terms, the platform will massively consult all the notices, all the complaints made on this or that address, note and evaluate all the assets of a dwelling according to the reception parameters and its equipment, establish a score between the number of effective reservations and possible cancellations, etc. ... in the end, to award him or her a quality badge that will become, therefore, the certification standard of AirBnB. All this will be done in a short time and on the whole of its "inventory" thanks to servers doped with artificial intelligence.

Probably, later in 2020, establishments that want to "upgrade" in AirBnB's quality ranking will be able to order an on-site audit (which will be billed to the owner) to be eligible for a stronger and  better  certification.

"Passed thru the sieve of Artifical intelligence".  Gracious God

AirBnb business model moves  closer to the Matrix with every passing day........

@Denis227yeah... and at the same time we were commenting a post from Istikar whose villa was listed here on Airbnb by some scammer so guests are ringing on his family home. This owner and a few of us reported this scam listing several times but Airbnb didn't delist it for weeks.

Unbelievable.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

This is such nonsense.  It's not necessary to 'physically inspect' properties.   

Verification of location, quality and amenities could be achieved by sending hosts an app that contains a video capability that prevents the geotag from being edited.

Hosts would then upload each (max 2 mins) video onto a seperate platform specifically set up for receiving verification videos - i.e. not Airbnb's existing platform (because it's easier to start from scratch rather than retrofit the code). Each video's file name would be the relevant listing's identifying number.   Some hapless operatives in the LDC with the lowest wage rates would be tasked with checking the video against the listing description and location.   

Yes, you could do this comparison with AI, but by the time you've written the code, ironed out the bugs and dealt with all complaints because it isn't sufficiently nuanced to identify the difference between a bidet and a loo, it's probably cheaper and faster to pay someone USD2.00 an hour to do it.  In fact, USD2 is top dollar for this level of work in the Philippines so you could probably do it for even less. 

Total cost?  Well there's time spent checking, which would be around 10 minutes max per listing plus the cost of staff training and recruitment and then there's distribution of the app and preparing the platform to receive the videos (neither of which are proprietary).  Hard to see how this would run to more than USD1 per listing, at the absolute most.  50c would be more realistic.

Denis227
Level 10
La Boissière-École, FR

@Louise0 

yep very good idea. 

My notary asked me to use one of these (free apps )  for making  legal photos with time stamping . They are great apps,  very easy to use. 

Only drawback is : I was in  an area with really bad mobile connection so I tried but I could not upload photos on site.  Had to litteraly  run back home to upload photos to the hosting platform . As a matter of fact the system won't allow you to upload your photos 10 or 15 minutes after shooting.  Cause if the time lapse is too long, it will consider that you have had ample time to photoshop/modify the photos before uploading them  ....... . 

Regarding the writing of  the AI Code to check millions of listings, I wonder if it will detect a glitch when trying to make sense of  " douche à l'italienne" .

It might understand the expression as  " shower with tomato sauce " 

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

My solution doesn’t require uploads in real time - the locked geotag removes the false location risk and any photo editing could also be blocked.  Regardless there are plenty of apps that strip out photo edits.  So, you don’t need WiFi access to shoot video, only when you upload it later.

@Louise0  @Denis227 

Which application do you use?

I don't.  I have no reason to seek out a video app with the geotag editing blocked.  Why would I need it?  It's Airbnb who need  to force hosts to use it.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

I'm using  Certiphoto  .  It has been certified by public authorities. So being used and recommended by notaries.  

Thank you @Denis227  🙂 I've never heard of it but it is great and very usefull

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

When I listed with VRBO and other booking sites, I was required to show proof that I was the owner of the home - and that I was who I said I was. This would likely not be well received by those renting their abodes on Airbnb without permission from the home-owner (who might not wish for this extra wear-and-tear, or the lack of proper insurance when their home / investment is being used by short-term renters, unbeknownst to them); but it certainly would help to ensure that home-owners and home-owning hosts are protected, including from an insurance perspective. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

There is no need to re-verify existing hosts with more than 30 good reviews and a few years on this platform.

It should be a requirement for all new listings, for all with bad reviews and all flagged / reported ones.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  You'd at least think they'd start with those. If they really feel they have to "verify" all 7 million listings, even a 10 year old could figure out that the intelligent thing to do is to start with the ones you mention. But no, we're reading reports here from the likes of Ute and Mandi, experienced hosts with long-standing listings, good ratings and reviews, that they are the ones being threatened with delisting if they don't hurry hurry and verify their info. This company couldn't be any more stupid and off-the-mark if they tried.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Sarah977 

Hi, do you happen to know whether hosts who have already uploaded government ID (me, I did it some years ago) are being told to re-verify their ID? Or whether it's only hosts who had never uploaded government ID who are being told to do it by 5 December?

[I haven't had an email telling me to do it and I'm worrying that I'm gonna get one! I'll probably need at least a week to upload the d*mn thing...]

Yes, it's crazy that Airbnb wouldn't focus on the bad apples first... but no: “Let's get those good apples in order!”

Grrrr 😞

@Patricia55 

I uploaded ID 3,5 years ago, but same as with Ute from Germany, on one place states I have verified ID and on another, I don't.  For now no alert from ABB, we'll see

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Ah, I just found this for mine - is yours showing something different?

Oh well, as you say, we shall see! (Hopefully before long...)

Screenshot (20)_LI.jpg