Superhost spotlight: filling a home with life after loss

Airbnb
Official Account

Superhost spotlight: filling a home with life after loss

Superhost Marianne suddenly found herself alone in the craftsman she and her late husband renovated together. To pick herself up, she launched her own business, opening her California home to guests from across the world. In her own words, she shares how hosting gave her life new meaning and what it means to be a female entrepreneur:

There was something beneficial about having life, having humans coming back into the house.

When I lost Mike, there was such a huge sense of loss, emptiness, a void. He had gone into surgery in May of 2017 for what was supposed to be a standard procedure, but there were complications and he didn’t make it. Four days before this, we had just celebrated 26 years together.

My daughter had moved home to stay with me. Almost a year later, she moved away and all of a sudden, I found myself alone in the house.

I don’t remember a specific incident or reason why I started hosting. It just kept showing up in my awareness. And then I took a trip in September of 2017 to see friends in Oregon, and I stayed in an Airbnb there. The host was a lovely fellow, and I explained what had happened. It started to dawn on me that being a host could be a possibility for me.

With my husband’s death, his pension ended and that was a big loss of income. I work for myself as a teacher, writer, and landscaper. I just wasn’t in a place where I could focus.

In my imagination, Airbnb was a source of easy-peasy cash flow. But it is work. And definitely being a single woman, I did have concerns about safety. I bought locks for the guest rooms and my room, but I think I’ve only locked my door once when there was a fellow checking in very late at night. A friend of mine who is also a host suggested I write the description of my home to attract the people I want here, and so far it seems to have worked. Maybe it’s naive, but I have a certain trust that for the most part, people are good.

Meet Marianne.png

Hosting became a way to be a little less of a hermit. It became a reason why I had to keep the house clean, a reason why I put on a brave face. You have to pick yourself up a little bit. Those were all good things.  

I remember Mike with each person who comes in. It’s both saddening and empowering.

He loved working on this house. He was a carpenter. When we bought the house in 1995, it was trashed, a fixer-upper, and he made it such a beautiful place to live. In some ways, I get to experience his spirit, his energy when people come into the house, notice the woodwork, and say, “Oh, wow.”

I feel so proud. I feel it for both of us. How lovely it is that I can share that.

In the beginning, I would tell guests I had just lost my husband. Then bit by bit, it was no longer the first thing I shared.

I’ve been incredibly blessed with the guests I’ve had. Since I live in Santa Monica, they wanted to go to the beach, to the pier, and to Venice, so I didn’t really see them. I still needed lots of space and lots of quiet, so it was perfect.

Occasionally, we would chat over a cup of coffee or sit out on the porch swing with a glass of wine and the ocean breeze. Some of the guests were just lovely people to talk to. It was a reminder that life goes on, as cliche as it sounds.

Meet Marianne 2.png

One guest was a young woman. I hadn’t mentioned that Mike had died, but maybe she noticed his pictures around the house. She told me that she had lost her boyfriend a few months earlier in an accident. So I found myself in this incredible place of being able to open up not just the house, but a space for her to talk about her loss with someone who understood. And for me, she was someone I could talk about Mike with. There was common ground, an incredible synchronicity. We’ve texted a few times. She may or may not come back, but for a little while we touched each others lives.

As hosts, we share space, but sometimes it’s a place where we share so much more.

In opening up my home, I was able to give something even when I felt so depleted.

Now I have my own business. And there is so much to be said about being your own boss and having complete say over how your life evolves. There’s a real sense of power a woman feels when she’s running her own business.

It may sound a little woo-woo to people, but there’s something so sacred about welcoming a stranger. As hosts, we serve as guides to weary travelers. And when we are aching, hurt, and lonely, that interaction and connection provides a little bit of healing.

Photos courtesy of Marianne

90 Replies 90
Pedro692
Level 2
Azores, Portugal

Great story of live, a exemple of courage on going alone on search of happiness.

Best regards

Pedro Mota

Amazing story, glad you found your strength to go on by helping others and thereby in the process helping yourself.

Sepalika0
Level 2
Singapore

Thank you very much for sharing your inspirational story of life. Some pass through our lives making an amazing change in the way we live. 

Love 

Sepalika

Sue-and-David0
Level 2
Kareela, Australia

Thank you Marianne, for sharing your positive and uplifting story. We were empty nesters with our four adult children all living far away six years ago when one suggested we create a space for Airbnb hosting.

We have, and still are enjoying the interest and great people we meet from all corners of the world,and its such a lovely space for family members to enjoy and be 'guests' when they come to visit.

Lare 2017 our younger son took his own life,and of course we were shattered. Picking up the pieces of our lives, hosting , helping others, is certainly helping us in getting our lives back together, though of course we do not mention our loss to guests.

I totally admire what you have done and your sharing Marianne   

Sue

Jen263
Level 2
Hampstead, MD

Thank you for sharing your story! What a lovely way to minister to others, by providing a bed and often an ear! Airbnb allows us to connect with others on such inherently personal levels. I’ve had  wonderful guests as well and no bad apples! Good luck to you and Godspeed in your healing!

Hylton0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story as well as your Love extended out to the guests that have stayed in your home it is inspired me to visit your stay in your home just to meet you while hearing your heart beat...while  meeting such an amazing evolved woman... that is becoming and an example to me and others in the most of loss , thanks for sharing with US Airbnb host♡♡♡♡

Hylton0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

I just noticed the errors in the voice text please accept my apology♡

Emily603
Level 2
Cross, SC

Your experience is so encouraging.   I too loss my husband to a different death(drugs).  When he left, my dog died, My best friend died, and my job of 10 years closed their doors, My life began.  Two seconds after listing my home I got my first booking and knew this was God blessing to a broken road that will lead quests to me.

Christea0
Level 1
Virginia Beach, VA

Wow; how uplifting! I lost my spouse too and used insurance proceeds to build my first home for temporary housing. A colleague told me about Airbnb and I’ve been hooked every since. 

Ive met some wonderful people from all over the world and enjoy hosting. 

Since then I’ve added two more properties and I’m “hooked on hosting”! 

Liz570
Level 2
Byron Bay, Australia

Thank you for sharing your story, I am so glad you are doing well .Thank you and keep improving .hosting is giving many people hope and purpose .

Tsigie0
Level 2
Frederick, MD

Thank you for sharing your story Marianne! What a lovely way to minister to others, by providing a bed and often an ear! Airbnb allows us to connect with others on such inherently personal levels. I’ve had  wonderful guests as well!

Good luck to you and God bless you and your family!!!

Annette316
Level 2
Westhope, United Kingdom

What a beautiful story.

Life is a journey and we just have to move on and adapt. Thank you for sharing your experience. 

Annette x

Margy8
Level 2
Cleveland, OH

My story mirrors Marianne’s almost identically and it was really gratifying to read. My husband and I always talked about the idea of being Airbnb hosts but it didn’t happen until after he died suddenly of a heart attack last April and I decided to just go for.  I will say that I have had less opportunity to interact with my guests in Cleveland for whatever reason, it could be because they are in a separate building on my property or that the Southern California  climate might be conducive to casual conversations with the host. I have felt a little uncomfortable bringing my personal story up with most guests as  I don’t want to burden them with my own grief but every once in while it pops out (a good friend of mine joked that I should be careful because the reviews might include things like “lonely widow will trap you for conversation” which made me laugh as I hardly think of myself that way. Thanks for your willingness to share your story

Erik232
Level 2
Brooklyn Center, MN

Thank you for sharing!  

I'm a carpenter myself.

I started my Airbnb business back in June. I agree with you. Hosting can be very therapeutic.  I get so much joy from the people that come to visit. I would hope that my wife would follow your path when I'm gone.

Tara107
Level 2
Orcutt, CA

Airbnb hosting fills an empty space for many people- not only financially, but emotionally. My neighbors have seen me absolutely beaten  down and broke getting bad tenants (that I was lending a helping hand to) off my property. My neighbors would rather I  host  Airbnb and have also enjoyed meeting some of my guests