Superhost spotlight: how two brothers went from home hosts to boutique hotel owners

Airbnb
Official Account

Superhost spotlight: how two brothers went from home hosts to boutique hotel owners

exterior_group.jpg

“Drop in as a guest. Take off as a local.” That’s the motto guests hear when they stay in any of the eight rooms at Surfhouse Boutique Motel, hosted by Superhosts and brothers Nikki and Sander.

“The way travel is going, I think it’s all kind of pulling away from big hotels and resorts. People want to connect with someone who knows the area and gives an authentic local experience,” Nikki said.

And the brothers are stoked to do it. Nikki and Sander, who began as a bellhop and Airbnb home host, respectively, are now riding their second wave in hosting. From 2016 to 2017, they converted a former convalescent home in their hometown of Encinitas, California into eight surf-inspired Airbnb rooms, collectively known as the Surfhouse Boutique Motel.

20171213-IMG_7737.jpeg

“We didn’t have the space to cram guests in our own homes, and there weren’t nice places to put people up,” Nikki said. “It’s such a cool little surf town, but the only accommodation options were lower-end chain hotels—not something that represented our area.”

Nikki and Sander designed the property with Encinitas’s local culture in mind: everyone who worked on it, from the designer to the contractor, live in the area; each room features artwork by local artists and is named after a well-known surf break in San Diego, such as Moonlight, Cardiff Reef, Stone Steps, and Swamis. Also inside every room is a discount card the brothers created by partnering with area businesses, so guests can play and pay like locals.

More, the brothers designed the overall stays—which have surf lessons and beach yoga on offer—with family in mind. “Our mom is originally from Norway, so when we were growing up we’d always have our Norwegian relatives out here. We’d teach the kids how to surf, take them to Padres baseball games, and teach them to live as we did for a few days,” Nikki said. “Now, we want people to go into a coffee shop next door, go to the beach all the locals load their kids into a wagon to go to.”Superhosts, surfers, and brothers Nikki (left) and Sander (right). All photos courtesy of Surfhouse.Superhosts, surfers, and brothers Nikki (left) and Sander (right). All photos courtesy of Surfhouse.

Despite running a boutique motel for the past two years, Nikki and Sander say they identify more as hosts than hoteliers.

“My experience hosting guests prior to opening Surfhouse was nothing but positive. I really enjoyed meetings travelers from all over the country, and even the world,” said Sander, who helped a friend list his condo on Airbnb and then parlayed that experience when they opened Surfhouse.

“We started pretty low with our rates so that we could get as many reviews and achieve Superhost status as quickly as possible. This helped us get more bookings and show up higher on search results,” said Sander, who still works full time in residential real estate, on top of handling the boutique motel’s finances.

interior_room6.jpg

Nikki handles the day-to-day interactions with guests. “When I was a bellhop, I was the first and final touch in welcoming guests — I enjoyed that.” To connect with Surfhouse guests, Nikki personally sends emails, talks to guests about any questions and things to do in the area before they arrive, and pops by if guests want surf lessons or want him to show them around town, as he lives a block away.

The brothers say it’s all to focus more on the experience than the rooms themselves: “People will book a beautiful room once, but they will come back many times when they are given a memorable experience.”

77 Replies 77
Jill195
Level 3
Flagstaff, AZ

Bravo surfer boys. This surfer girl (surfing ca beaches for many years) now surfs high desert at 7000 feet in Flagstaff,az  not far from grand canyon . Surfs up/way up at 7000 feet for this hostess of Airbnb 

Camilla130
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

There is nothing like being welcomed. Nice job gentlemen. I am not a surfer but I do enjoy the beach. 

Margarita228
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Great success story, nice to see young people getting out there and doing their thing.  I am a brand new host on Waiheke Island, New Zealand and love this kind of story.

Bezza0
Level 2
Golden Beach, Australia

Good work.  Great concept congratulations on your initiative.  🏄‍♂️ 

Paula-and-Richard0
Level 1
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

That's awesome, what a great story... thanks for the inspiration ! 🙂

Great story i also started hosting people on a couch , then 2 couches after i built a wooden box around couches and curtain making it into capsules , after i moved to apartmnets that was real upgrade and now i have 3 star butique hotel, still hosting on airbnb , its a great platform and its a lifestyle. i am not saying it was easy to go from couch to hotel but its definitelly possible. Surf motel is another example  

Sascha72
Level 2
Exmouth, Australia

Looks like you guys found your niche in the market! Well done!!

Nira3
Level 2
Perth, Australia

congratulation Guys.  Super dooper effort. 

Deborah651
Level 2
Salter Point, Australia

great story well done guys

Liisa7
Level 1
Tallinn, Estonia

It is so nice to read this kind of stories. Being and Airbnb host is not only about renting out a place to stay. It is about the experience. The interaction with the quests. Giving them recommendations, showing them the city and offering additional help. 

This kind of story is one of my dreams. To have my own motel in a cool area, near the sea. Thanks for the inspiration. 

Cornelia66
Level 2
Malelane, South Africa

What an inspiring journey. Congrats boys!

Aldo34
Level 1
Mumbai, India

Hi ; appreciate the good work and building your empire from scratch 

Keep it up guys and keep it sharing 

Terry316
Level 1
Belfast, United Kingdom

Your Superhero's from Planet AirBnB!!

Well done lads - Surfs def UP!

Terry 

C-J-0
Level 1
Greenport, NY

Inspirational.  Be curious on what the price tag was to buy and how much it took to renovate it to current state.  Congrats guys! Definitely my next move once I can break the corporate chains.