Superhost spotlight: how two brothers went from home hosts to boutique hotel owners

Airbnb
Official Account

Superhost spotlight: how two brothers went from home hosts to boutique hotel owners

exterior_group.jpg

“Drop in as a guest. Take off as a local.” That’s the motto guests hear when they stay in any of the eight rooms at Surfhouse Boutique Motel, hosted by Superhosts and brothers Nikki and Sander.

“The way travel is going, I think it’s all kind of pulling away from big hotels and resorts. People want to connect with someone who knows the area and gives an authentic local experience,” Nikki said.

And the brothers are stoked to do it. Nikki and Sander, who began as a bellhop and Airbnb home host, respectively, are now riding their second wave in hosting. From 2016 to 2017, they converted a former convalescent home in their hometown of Encinitas, California into eight surf-inspired Airbnb rooms, collectively known as the Surfhouse Boutique Motel.

20171213-IMG_7737.jpeg

“We didn’t have the space to cram guests in our own homes, and there weren’t nice places to put people up,” Nikki said. “It’s such a cool little surf town, but the only accommodation options were lower-end chain hotels—not something that represented our area.”

Nikki and Sander designed the property with Encinitas’s local culture in mind: everyone who worked on it, from the designer to the contractor, live in the area; each room features artwork by local artists and is named after a well-known surf break in San Diego, such as Moonlight, Cardiff Reef, Stone Steps, and Swamis. Also inside every room is a discount card the brothers created by partnering with area businesses, so guests can play and pay like locals.

More, the brothers designed the overall stays—which have surf lessons and beach yoga on offer—with family in mind. “Our mom is originally from Norway, so when we were growing up we’d always have our Norwegian relatives out here. We’d teach the kids how to surf, take them to Padres baseball games, and teach them to live as we did for a few days,” Nikki said. “Now, we want people to go into a coffee shop next door, go to the beach all the locals load their kids into a wagon to go to.”Superhosts, surfers, and brothers Nikki (left) and Sander (right). All photos courtesy of Surfhouse.Superhosts, surfers, and brothers Nikki (left) and Sander (right). All photos courtesy of Surfhouse.

Despite running a boutique motel for the past two years, Nikki and Sander say they identify more as hosts than hoteliers.

“My experience hosting guests prior to opening Surfhouse was nothing but positive. I really enjoyed meetings travelers from all over the country, and even the world,” said Sander, who helped a friend list his condo on Airbnb and then parlayed that experience when they opened Surfhouse.

“We started pretty low with our rates so that we could get as many reviews and achieve Superhost status as quickly as possible. This helped us get more bookings and show up higher on search results,” said Sander, who still works full time in residential real estate, on top of handling the boutique motel’s finances.

interior_room6.jpg

Nikki handles the day-to-day interactions with guests. “When I was a bellhop, I was the first and final touch in welcoming guests — I enjoyed that.” To connect with Surfhouse guests, Nikki personally sends emails, talks to guests about any questions and things to do in the area before they arrive, and pops by if guests want surf lessons or want him to show them around town, as he lives a block away.

The brothers say it’s all to focus more on the experience than the rooms themselves: “People will book a beautiful room once, but they will come back many times when they are given a memorable experience.”

77 Replies 77
Monique483
Level 2
Washington, DC

My kind of business. I love it when a good plan comes together .  I will make sure I visit this location. 

A job well done guys. I wish you more and more business your way. Greetings from Malta Europe

Calixto2
Level 1
El Portal, FL

Great Job guys! I am so happy to see these great stories on having a vision and goal and making it a reality. Congratulations and don't stop there keep on going. All the best from Miami, FL! 

Rachael151
Level 1
Bushkill, PA

Love the idea of positive energy !Great job guys!Inspirational.

Deb200
Level 2
Kennesaw, GA

Great job

I grew up in Jacksonville Beach and always love the surfing scene!

Supporting the local community is always a plus!

Carmen856
Level 3
Kissimmee, FL

That would be my bucket list dream...to own a little motel somewhere. But, at 71 and a cancer survivor of 4 years, I’m apprehensive about embarking on a new career. I’ve been hosting a complete apartment that I own through Airbnb for a couple of months now and I’m loving it.  I select the best toiletries that I could leave my guests and leave them all sorts of extras.  I’m in it for the pleasure of dealing with people from different places and background. Love hosting and hope that one day I could become a Super Host. Kudos to the brothers and their new venture. Lots of luck. 

Mrs Parrilla, Kissimmee, Fl

Zully4
Level 2
Lewes, DE

Great story! It inspires me!

LisaMarie0
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Great story, bravo! So inspiring! I love being an Airbnb host and this just gave me an idea to do something similar in my city. Good luck with your project, guys. 

Rob312
Level 2
Davenport, FL

Hi guys! Congeatulations! My business is growing up so fast but I need legal assistance to comply with locL laws and liabilities. Could you five me a hand?

@Airbnb wrote:

exterior_group.jpg

“Drop in as a guest. Take off as a local.” That’s the motto guests hear when they stay in any of the eight rooms at Surfhouse Boutique Motel, hosted by Superhosts and brothers Nikki and Sander.

“The way travel is going, I think it’s all kind of pulling away from big hotels and resorts. People want to connect with someone who knows the area and gives an authentic local experience,” Nikki said.

And the brothers are stoked to do it. Nikki and Sander, who began as a bellhop and Airbnb home host, respectively, are now riding their second wave in hosting. From 2016 to 2017, they converted a former convalescent home in their hometown of Encinitas, California into eight surf-inspired Airbnb rooms, collectively known as the Surfhouse Boutique Motel.

20171213-IMG_7737.jpeg

“We didn’t have the space to cram guests in our own homes, and there weren’t nice places to put people up,” Nikki said. “It’s such a cool little surf town, but the only accommodation options were lower-end chain hotels—not something that represented our area.”

Nikki and Sander designed the property with Encinitas’s local culture in mind: everyone who worked on it, from the designer to the contractor, live in the area; each room features artwork by local artists and is named after a well-known surf break in San Diego, such as Moonlight, Cardiff Reef, Stone Steps, and Swamis. Also inside every room is a discount card the brothers created by partnering with area businesses, so guests can play and pay like locals.

More, the brothers designed the overall stays—which have surf lessons and beach yoga on offer—with family in mind. “Our mom is originally from Norway, so when we were growing up we’d always have our Norwegian relatives out here. We’d teach the kids how to surf, take them to Padres baseball games, and teach them to live as we did for a few days,” Nikki said. “Now, we want people to go into a coffee shop next door, go to the beach all the locals load their kids into a wagon to go to.”Superhosts, surfers, and brothers Nikki (left) and Sander (right). All photos courtesy of Surfhouse.Superhosts, surfers, and brothers Nikki (left) and Sander (right). All photos courtesy of Surfhouse.

Despite running a boutique motel for the past two years, Nikki and Sander say they identify more as hosts than hoteliers.

“My experience hosting guests prior to opening Surfhouse was nothing but positive. I really enjoyed meetings travelers from all over the country, and even the world,” said Sander, who helped a friend list his condo on Airbnb and then parlayed that experience when they opened Surfhouse.

“We started pretty low with our rates so that we could get as many reviews and achieve Superhost status as quickly as possible. This helped us get more bookings and show up higher on search results,” said Sander, who still works full time in residential real estate, on top of handling the boutique motel’s finances.

interior_room6.jpg

Nikki handles the day-to-day interactions with guests. “When I was a bellhop, I was the first and final touch in welcoming guests — I enjoyed that.” To connect with Surfhouse guests, Nikki personally sends emails, talks to guests about any questions and things to do in the area before they arrive, and pops by if guests want surf lessons or want him to show them around town, as he lives a block away.

The brothers say it’s all to focus more on the experience than the rooms themselves: “People will book a beautiful room once, but they will come back many times when they are given a memorable experience.”

Denise481
Level 2
Cody, WY

Positive experience!  Great to see small towns getting a new look and changing up the status quo.  Your property is a tasty treat xo Casa Lodging in E-YNP Cody, Wyo

Casa Lodging | Cody, Wyoming | East Gateway City to Yellowstone National Park
Deidre25
Level 2
Medford, OR

Great work guys!! 

To whom it 
It's been since february when I registered to Air B&B,and I wonder up to now I don't have tenant or transient lease on my  building

Veronica448
Level 2
San Diego, CA

This San Diegan may have to take a drive up to the area. Quite the inviting space! Well done, gentlemen!

Hylton0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Wow...I love !

CREATIVE VISION....BIRTH  LIFE !

Thank you for inspiring ME !

Nick658
Level 2
Seattle, WA

This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Best,
Nick ****

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – in line with the Community Center Guidelines]