Thanks to the generosity of Hosts, Airbnb.org surpassed its commitment to temporarily house 20,000 Afghan refugees

Susan208
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Denver, CO

Thanks to the generosity of Hosts, Airbnb.org surpassed its commitment to temporarily house 20,000 Afghan refugees

Susan208_1-1645602868808.png

Together, we did it! I’m absolutely thrilled to share the news that, with the support of Hosts around the globe, Airbnb.org has helped provide transitional housing for 20,000 Afghan refugees—just 6 months after committing to doing so.

Thanks to all the Hosts who offered their spaces for free or at a discounted rate, Airbnb.org was also able to house almost 1,300 more displaced people from Afghanistan. That’s a lot of families with safe, welcoming places to stay as they transition into the next chapter of their lives.

My family and I were able to host a family of 8 in our Denver home this winter—and I felt proud and honored to join so many kind-hearted Hosts in supporting this important effort. This includes those of you who gave money or supported the cause in other ways.

I realize not everyone can donate their space, but each of us can choose to express warmth and goodwill toward others. That’s what great hospitality is about!

It’s not too late to pitch in. You can read about what’s next in this newsroom post, and you can head over to Airbnb.org to get involved.

Susan Bailey is an Airbnb.org Host who has shared her home with refugees. She is also a member of the 2021 Airbnb Host Advisory Board.

16 Replies 16
Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

Thanks, @Susan208 , it's so great do read this!

Jean174
Level 5
Long Beach, CA

This is wonderful news Susan. Thanks for updating us and I will share with Long Beach hosts, many of whom have signed up for refugee hosting through Airbnb.org.

Susan208
Denver, CO

Thanks @Jean174.  I will be in LB on 3/08.  Hope to see you then!

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

"Airbnb.org was also able to house'

HOSTS were able to house.

If any refugees claimed tenants rights you can be sure Airbnb.org would say "we're just the platform."

It's ALL about the hosts giving up income to help others.

Susan208
Denver, CO

Hi @Susie0. Many hosts received full payments via airbnb.org vouchers.  Some hosts discount or offer their listings free of charge. The bookings are made by the resettlement agencies - not by the refugees themselves.  Hope that helps clarify. 

Omar202
México D.F., Mexico

Thanks for sharing @Susan208 you are an amazing host and a beautiful person ❤️ 

Susan208
Denver, CO

Thank you @Omar202. It has been a beautiful journey.  Excited for more hosts to participate. 

Shinya0
Osaka, Japan

Thank you @Susan208 !
I am wonderfully proud of you.
Thank you for your strong initiative and meaningful actions.💫

Susan208
Denver, CO

Thank you @Shinya0. It has been so rewarding.

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

Due to the current situation in Europe, hosts hope to see an Airbnb.org plan here also soon. Members are already asking how they can share their places to refugees. I read reports about people in desperate situations.

Of course you need the hosts - I think they are willing to. On the other hand you need the platform too, to connect people, and to organize and finance the shelters.

Susan208
Denver, CO

Agreed Till.  Working on it. 

אורן1
Level 1
Haifa, Israel

ukraine ...

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@אורן1 wrote:

ukraine ...

@אורן1 We have now launched support for Ukrainian refugees on Airbnb.org as well, and you can find all the info in @Catherine-Powell 's recent post here:

How you can help refugees fleeing Ukraine

If you have any more questions on this please let us know! 

Thanks,

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello everybody! Thanks to everyone who now helps Ukraine in this horrible time of war! This war made me lose my job. My family decided not to leave the country and stay here until the very victory, no matter how hard it was. In the last news, I saw a story that on airbnb.com you can get financial assistance. It is very uncomfortable to ask for help like this... But if you have the opportunity, please help, book my apartment