The essentials: Improve your Airbnb listing as you go

Airbnb
Official Account

The essentials: Improve your Airbnb listing as you go

Successful hosts know their listing is never really done—they find opportunities to evolve at every step of the journey, and so can you. Over time, you’ll have a better understanding of your space, your hosting style, and the needs of your guests. You can update your listing to highlight popular features, to reflect any changes to the space, or to be more competitive in your area. All of this translates to more bookings and happier guests.

Not sure where to start? Here are some ideas:

Make your photos shine
Photos are an extremely important part of your listing. Guests don’t always read your description, but they’ll almost certainly flip through (and study!) your pictures. So if you’ve recently redesigned your space, added some new amenities, or simply have a little more time or budget to spend on photography, consider a refresh.

• Prioritize your cover photo. Your cover photo is what appears first in search results, so make sure it’s one that catches guests’ eyes.
  • Add brief captions. While guests are browsing your photos, they’ll learn important info about your space, like if there’s a king-sized bed in the master suite or a fancy espresso machine in the kitchen.
  • Hire an expert. Professional photography can pay for itself. In fact, hosts with pro photos earn up to 40% more! Check if Airbnb offers professional photography in your area.
  • Take photos like a pro. There’s a lot you can do to improve your listing photos—even if you only have a smartphone to shoot with. Get better DIY photos with these five photography tips.

Revise your listing details
A basic rule of thumb? Keep your listing details accurate and up-to-date. So if, for example, you no longer have access to the community swimming pool, make sure to remove any mention of it. But even beyond the basics, it’s a good idea to tweak the text as you go.

• Streamline your description. No one has time to read through lots of details, so focus on the things guests care about most. And avoid writing about features that are already listed in the amenities section.
  • Showcase your hosting style. By now, you’ve probably got a better sense of the kind of host you are. Don’t be afraid to let your personality shine through in your listing details.
  • Speak to the guests you want to attract. Maybe you’ve been hosting lots of families or business travelers. Adjust your tone to speak to those types of guests, and highlight the features that will appeal to them most.

Add new amenities
Have your guests asked for a hair dryer? Mentioned there’s no kettle in their reviews? This is all great feedback—use it to decide what to purchase for your space, and make sure to update your amenities list once you’ve added them. Here are some of the most sought-after amenities:

• Basics: TV, cable, internet, air conditioning, heater, washer, dryer, iron, laptop-friendly workspace
  • Bed and bath: hangers, hair dryer, soap, toilet paper, bed linens, extra pillows and blankets
  • In the kitchen: microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator, dishwasher, dishes and silverware, cooking basics, oven, stove, tea kettle

Revisit pricing
Many new hosts make their listing attractive by choosing a price below the market average. Once you’ve been hosting a while and have a few positive reviews to bolster your listing, consider revisiting your price to find the most competitive rate.

Improve your search ranking
Airbnb’s search ranking looks at the things guests care about most, like positive reviews and great photos. Here are some things to consider trying:

• Turn on Instant BookGuests love the ease of instantly booking a place to stay.
  • Accept more bookings. Adding a few booking requirements—like ID verification—can help you feel more comfortable accepting more guests.
  • Be responsive, especially when it comes to answering booking-related messages. Use the Airbnb app to make communication easy.
  • Maintain good ratings. Hosts who get great reviews tend to focus on cleanliness, amenities, accurate listing details, a smooth check-in, and proactive communication.

Look to your guests for important insights
Use guest feedback—the glowing reviews and the less-than-stellar ones—to help you fine-tune your listing. Did they rave about your outdoor patio? Make sure to feature it in photos. On the other hand, maybe guests were surprised to find the location wasn’t super convenient for getting to and from the airport. Being more clear about this type of information in your listing description will help set expectations for future guests.

So much of hosting is about learning as you go. If you can use these learnings to improve your listing, you’ll be on your way to more bookings, happier guests, and higher ratings—and you’ll be one step closer to Superhost status.

56 Replies 56
Pauline441
Level 2
Durban, ZA

Thank you for advising on the basic essentials.

Sunbeam0
Level 2
Harare, Zimbabwe

Thank you for the tips, I loved reading the tips and getting knowledge

Rosie94
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

all great ideas thank you!

Vikas16
Level 2
New Delhi, India

Thank you so much, hope to add on amenities  and get bookings

Emima12
Level 1
Iringa, Tanzania

Thank you so much for the tips

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Very helpful! Thank you 🙂

Rosalind---Adrian0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Excellent, lots of great ideas, many thanks

Great, thanks for all the helpful tips ! Am trying to get to 10 guests by the end of the year,  am so far on 9 ! 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Soooo close @Ronelle4! I think you will make it, with two months to go. 

It would be great to hear when you reach 10 guests, it's a great milestone. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks Lizzie ! 
I do hope so, this number does also includes my December guests !

I also have other guests not via Airbnb for a long weekend mid November and weekend end Nov beginning December, so I literally only have 3 unbooked weekends to go ! Because Port Alfred is a small sea side resort most booking are for a specific functions or sporting event like Golf, Bowls, canoeing  or rowing !  But I remain hopeful, thanks for the support,

warm regards 

Ronelle 

Refiloe1
Level 2
Maseru, Lesotho

Helpful tips indeed.  Much appreciated. 

Mark1510
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

All your tips have helped me gain Superhost status. Thanks

Sayny0
Level 2