Tips for messaging guests: Save time & set expectations

Airbnb
Official Account

Tips for messaging guests: Save time & set expectations

20160727_SeasonalQ2_John_San-Francisco_Elliott_3690.jpg

If you’re feeling a dose of deja vu whenever you open a message from a guest, you’re not alone. There are some topics hosts are asked about again and again, such as exceptions for pets, wi-fi codes, directions, best places to eat, and more. Well, there’s an Airbnb template feature that can help: saved messages.  

“I love [saved messages] and use them all the time,” said host Sally, of Snoqualmie, Washington. “Templates save me a lot of time—I was able to answer four guest inquiries in less than 10 minutes! [They also] prevent me from forgetting some key bit of information, and allow me the time to create a well-crafted response—one that has been well proofread, is crystal clear, and, if appropriate, is especially sensitive to our guest's needs.”

Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use the saved messages feature, along with some great responses Sally and other hosts always have on hand.

How to create a saved message

On the web:

1. Go to a message thread you have with a guest
  2. Click "Use a Saved Message" in the message box. If you don't have any saved messages yet, you'll be prompted to create your first one
  3. Create a title, write your message, and then click “Save”
  4. Your saved messages will appear when you click “Use a Saved Message.” Simply choose the message you’d like to send and click “Send message”

On mobile:

1. Go to a message thread you have with a guest
  2. Tap the “Document Icon” next to the message box. If you don't have any saved responses yet, you'll be prompted to create your first one
  3. Tap "Write a new response" and create a title
  4. Tap "Write response,” write your message, and then tap “Save” and “Done”
  5. Your saved responses will appear when you tap the “Document Icon” next to the message box. Simply choose the response you’d like to send, tap it, and then click “Send”

8 message suggestions from hosts

1. Thank you for booking

An immediate “thank you” lets guests know you received their request. John, of Westcliffe, Colorado, says, “I usually edit the first few sentences to personalize it a bit. So far, all guests have reacted well and seem to like having all the info upfront.” Emily, of Italy, shares this example:

Dear [guest name],

Thank you for confirming your reservation.

Do you happen to know what time you will arrive?

If you need directions to reach my home or some advice about [home city] do not hesitate to ask me. I will do my best to help you.

Have a nice day, see you in [month of stay].

—Emily

1. So sorry we can’t accommodate

As much as hosts want to accommodate everyone, sometimes you can’t. And that’s okay. Still, “these responses have to be worded delicately, respectfully, and clearly,” Sally said. “So when someone asks you to make an exception for them, you don't have to think about it or feel guilty—you just click.” She also offered up a few of her saved messages:

Hi [guest name],

I am sorry. For the well being of your child, we are unable to host young families.

—Sally

Hi [guest name],

I am sorry. Our dog is male, and we do not want there to be any problems between our dog and another guest’s dog.

—Sally

Hi [guest name],

We are so sorry we have had to cancel your reservation. We hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us another time.

—Sally

1. How to get to the listing

A couple of days before guests arrive, you might want to send directions. (Airbnb automatically sends directions to guests, too, so you can keep your message short.) Ionnis, of Artemida, Greece, offers this example:

Hello [guest name].

We’re looking forward to hosting you. Here are directions to our home via…  

Google maps: [link]

Other GPS systems: [link]

Driving directions:

Public transportation directions:

Any other transportation options:

We have plenty of suggestions in the “Getting around” section of our listing and we encourage you to read it and make the most of your trip.

The weather during [stay dates] is expected to be [weather forecast].

Before you arrive, please feel free to send us your flight details, ship name and port arrival times, transportation decisions (taxi, public transport, own car). And let us know if you’re using cellular roaming and your preferred method of communication when you arrive (voice calls, SMS text message, Viber, WhatsApp).

—Ionnis

1. Welcome message and kit

“In my pre-arrival message, I send the door code, wi-fi code, detailed directions and reiterate my rules and policies one more time as a gentle reminder,” said John. (Airbnb also has check-in instructions, so you have another way remind guests of details.) John offered up some more particulars:

Dear [guest name],

By now you’ve received directions to our home. Here are a few more things you’ll need for a great stay:

Contacts: [phone numbers or user handles]

Meeting place: [at the house, port, airport, or other meeting points]
Door code: [entry code, or last for digits of your cell phone number]

Wifi: [password]

House manual: [link or instructions]

—John

1. Things to do

When it comes to activities, hosts have local knowledge no travel guide can rival. Heather of Stowe, Vermont suggests having a list of “Rainy day activities” and “Popular reservations” at the ready. Sally injects some humor into her recommendations, advising, “Send what sounds like this chatty description you have given off the cuff”:

Gee, [guest name], I think you would love one of these activities:

[Great hikes in the area]

[Easy hikes]

[Hikes for the more ambitious]

[Good places to eat, on the way]

[What Marathon Runners want to know]

[Wedding guest activities]

—Sally

1. Did you sleep well?

After the first night, hosts recommend sending another welcome message asking if everything is okay. “Very important,” Ioannis said. “If they stay longer, I repeat this every two to three days”:

Good morning, [guest name],

Did you sleep well? We hope you are having a comfortable stay. Please let us know if everything is okay and if you need anything.

—Ionnis

p.s. Here’s a link to the closest beach to our house.

1. Checking out

“One [saved message] I have found quite helpful is the one I send the day before departure to remind my guests of the checkout time,” said Kate Mary, of Kiev, Ukraine. Here are more details she suggests reminding guests of:

Hi [guest name],

Is it that time already? We hate to see you go. Just a friendly reminder about check out:

Checkout time: Tomorrow at [checkout time]

Directions: [to the airport, port, or other transportation confirmation numbers]

Please remember to lock the door. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hosting you again!

—Kate Mary

1. Thanks for being a great guest

“Sometimes I wonder whether guests worry they are receiving a bad review if I leave one too quickly after they leave,” Heather said. “Hopefully [a thank you message like this] alleviates that concern and encourages them to leave one in return”:

Dear [guest name],

Thank you for choosing our home during your trip to [city]. We hope you had a five-star stay and safe journey home. When you get settled, please review your stay.

—Heather

Dear [guest name],

Just a friendly reminder to review your stay with us. Thank you again for choosing our home. We hope you had a safe journey home.

—Heather

61 Replies 61

Yes they do as well as phone numbers. 

I'm pretty surs once you passed the cancelation period you are free to send any lincs, google maps etc. I usually explain that the system will allow it just a couple of days before their check in and I will text the location just then.

For the brackets, it would be quite usefull if they will make it work like the most of the hotel online travel agents!

Nice post.

Hello Admin. I have been saving pre written messages for over two years now. I have contacted Airbnb about this several times but never got the issue resolved. One day, on my airbnb app  after an upgrade the Green head titles were gone from being bold and green high lighted text to  regular looking text. The text was no longer compressed to a shorter text, it was the full size message. This might not be a big deal for a host with one ot two listings but for me with 8 listings it’s a major problem. I then had to scroll and scroll to find my stuff, all I see is a roll of continuing text and are having a hard time finding what I am looking for. Before I coild easily reply to a guest at a streetlight but niw it takes several minutes and reading glasses to find. I never receives answers from you as to why this happen, anyways would love to hear back. Helene 

SAME HERE!! Would love to see this change!!

Matt569
Level 3
Minneapolis, MN

Does anyone know how to change the order of saved messages? I'd like to re-arrange my saved messages so they are organized better. 

If this doesn't exist, Airbnb can you please implement this?

Further to Matt’s query. Not only how do you change the order of the Saved Messages, but how do you delete Saved Messages? 

(I hate untidy files!) 😉

I cannot find a delete for saved messages on the mobile app.  However, I tried it on the computer version and it showed up nicely.  

Try this:  On your computer, go in as if you were going to send a guest a message.  It will give you the option of USED SAVED MESSAGE.  Click on this.  Your saved messages will pop up.  At the BOTTOM of this screen is the EDIT SAVED MESSAGES message.  Click on this.  Your messages will pop up.  At the BOTTOM of each message you will see a button that says EDIT or DELETE.  Reminder: at this time you will NOT see this on the mobile app (sadly), but at least you will see it on the computer app.  

Hope this helps. ~G

Ana1193
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Great post. We've used most of these templates with an automation tool ( cohost.club). Thanks for the additional templates.

Karen-Anne0
Level 4
California, United States

Thank you for all the great details! 

Here is a sample of my pre-arrival email to my arriving guests.  I always send it about one week prior to arrival so they have time to review and ask questions.  In this email I attach a very detailed house info packet with wifi, door code, etc...  Hope this helps!

Hi (Guest Name),

I hope you guys are excited for your trip!  I have attached the information for our home including accessing the apartment.  The main entrance is on the ground floor on the left side of the front steps. The apartment key will be in an electronic lock box on the entry gate above the entry door knob.  Your unique code is *****. A suggestion during your stay; keep the key in the lock box while you are out, this way it will be there when you return and you don't have to carry it with you and risk losing it! The apartment will be ready for your check-in on (Date and check in time). Checkout time is before (check out time and departure date) . 

Should you need assistance when you arrive do not hesitate to text me, my cell is , but it is very easy accessing the key and getting into the apartment.  We will likely be out when you arrive, but again, I am available by text, and I also use WhatsApp.

Please let me know that you have received these instructions.  If you could provide your flight arrival and departure times, that would be helpful as well.  For our international guests, as a reminder, make sure to bring any charging adapters and/or converters for your personal electronic devices as we do not supply these.  Have a safe trip!

Best,
Peter
Conrad-and-Robert0
Level 2
Cathedral City, CA

I see in one of the above "template" samples there are "links," however, message does not allow Host to send links to guest!

In order to send good informative links that I think my guest would like/enjoy, I have to /was informed by AirBnB staff, to use the long email link. 

Who's telling the truth here? 

I've never had trouble sending links once a reservation has been confirmed. 

This is very helpful. I have a standard message greeting, but never had it saved, just type it in each time. On my phone it's easy, but if at the computer these saved messages are a real help.

Bridget117
Level 1
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I would like to attach information to my responses to guests but the Airbnb email address does not seem to allow for attachments.  Can you assist?