U.S. Hosts - Airbnb requires taxpayer information. Submit your info to keep hosting

Airbnb
Official Account

U.S. Hosts - Airbnb requires taxpayer information. Submit your info to keep hosting

Airbnb_0-1635158381876.png

[Updated December 16, 2021]

If you have an active US listing, an active US payout method, or have a US country of residence according to our records, changes to IRS rules may affect your tax filing next year.

To ensure we receive this information, if you don’t provide it:

• We have begun pausing payouts and will also be blocking calendars from future reservations until we receive this information.
  • You may also experience up to 30%* tax withholdings on your 2022 payouts.

*Exact tax withholding percentage will vary based on your tax situation.

Up until now, we have only issued 1099 forms to Hosts who had earnings of over $20,000 per year and 200 bookings or actions. Starting January 1, 2022, the American Rescue Plan Act will require Airbnb to issue a 1099 form for all Hosts with annual earnings of $600 or more.

Learn more in the Resource Center.  

We have also started compiling answers to your most common US tax questions, and will continue updating as we hear more. What questions do you have about these upcoming US tax changes?

20 Replies 20

Did you resolve this?

I'm curious because I am having some similar issues with Airbnb. They are withholding our payouts and threatening to block our bookings. 
I have been unable to submit our tax information. Once I fill out the form and try to submit ... it's greyed out and not allowing me to submit. I have called them and email to no avail. Very frustrating since it seems there's no way to contact directing a senior advisor. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Robert-and-Janette0

I'm sorry to hear you've been unable to submit your tax information, nor to get answers on how to proceed so far. I'd like to flag this on my end and see if I can obtain any more info for you, but I'd need a few more details first if that's ok.

• Normally when a button remains greyed out, it means some fields aren't completed yet - could you check that's not the case here please?
  • Are you trying to fill in this info from a browser, and if so have you tried another browser and/or to delete your cache and cookies? 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yes I did look MANY times to see if something wasn't filled out or if something showed up with a red note. 
nothing like that.

We have tried from our phones or the laptop and I'm sure it has nothing to do with with one since I have been conducting business and send other types of forms out recently. The bigger issue is that there's no senior person who can really help and keep our account from being blocked.

I'm honestly thinking now about vrbo or booking.com because we cannot afford to have our calendars blocked. We have five units and depend on this income. 

Emilie,

I do very much appreciate your concern. I would like to know if we could possibly copy the form, fill it out freehand and email it to someone of superiority in the tax department??

Also fyi. We did have our tax information formerly with Airbnb. It was suggested to me by one Airbnb agent that we delete those and just start a new one which is what I've been doing. And there are some changes in what was previously recorded. The name is different, and the LLC is in a different category than previously recorded. So I also wonder if that may have something to do with why it don't allow me to submit the information. The EIN remains the same. And since it is an LLC and has its own tax return I have tried putting the name under the legal name but also I have tried using my name or my husbands name ( partners of the LLC) or both of our names... to no avail. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Robert-and-Janette0 I understand, this must be frustrating. Unfortunately I'm not part of Customer Service nor can I point you to another route than the one you've tried. That being said, I'll try to raise this issue on my end and see if I can get more info for you!

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Robert-and-Janette0
Level 2
Kennebunkport, ME

If ANY of you are having trouble submitting your TAX information.... I just found out from Emilie ( online community support) that when I put the date in, it must have dashes in between the numbers and not a forward slash.  So it should be like this 03-25-2022

normally if you are filling out a form for someone ( not Airbnb) something red would show up where you made an error and you would be able

to troubleshoot to fix it. But since I didn't know what it was.... I was assuming it had to do with how we put our name in, or the name of our company, or the type of LLC we file. Because all of those things I had changed since the year before. But it only had to do with the simple date and dashes. 
I'm great full that I had written in on the community page and someone from Airbnb was watching. Because I had made numerous phone calls, received phone calls from Airbnb, and email messaging to no avail. My payouts were already being held back from Airbnb and we were constantly getting threats from Airbnb saying our calendar would soon be blocked if we did not submit this form. Yet no one had any suggestions on how this could be fixed. No one was accountable. Everyone said they could not help and they could not get a supervisor on the phone for me. There was no cohesiveness at all. 
So remember the dashes and remember that writing into the community seems to be your best bet!