Update to our approach for guests sick with COVID-19

Airbnb
Official Account

Update to our approach for guests sick with COVID-19

Airbnb_0-1651268048162.png

Now that COVID-19 is a known part of our world, many countries have moved to a new stage in their response. In consultation with medical advisers, we’ve updated our approach as well. 

For bookings made on or after May 31, 2022, COVID-19 is no longer covered under Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy, except for domestic reservations in South Korea and mainland China. This means that if a guest gets sick with COVID before their stay and wants to cancel, the Host’s cancellation policy will apply. As a Host, if you’d like to offer a refund or otherwise work with guests on a flexible solution, you’re welcome to do so.

For more details on what this change means, read the answers to frequently asked Host questions in the Resource Center.

We’d love to get your thoughts, feedback, or questions below.

67 Replies 67
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Emilie,

Do you have an update on what happens to a listing if a guest or host reports testing positive a short time before or during a stay?  Effective today, COVID testing is no longer an entry requirement in the US, and this has been the case for many other countries for at least vaccinated travelers.  In general, people are testing less frequently than a year ago, because their jobs, schools or government aren't making it necessary.  Also, governmental health agencies and well-regarded health experts are no longer telling accommodation providers to wait a certain amount of hours or days before starting the turnover or the space is rented to the next guest.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 The article containing guidance on what to do if you test positive to Covid, as a guest or a Host, has been updated along with the policy. It might answer your question? 🙂

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/answers-to-your-hosting-questions-about-covid-19-...

What happens if my guests or I get COVID-19?
If a Host or a guest has tested positive for or been exposed to COVID-19 within the past 14 days, or if they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, it’s Airbnb’s policy that guests should not check in and Hosts should not enter their space or interact with guests in person.

If a guest has already checked in and either you or they get COVID-19, contact Airbnb to let us know so we can help. Guests and Hosts who get COVID-19 are both eligible for cancellation without penalty under our extenuating circumstances policy, as long as they can provide Airbnb with supporting documentation (where legally allowed), such as a positive test result within 14 days of check-in.

Learn what to do if you or a guest gets sick with COVID-19

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

I tested positive to covid on 23 June and was told by Air Bnb support that if I cancelled my guest arriving 25 June that it would cost me $100 cancellation fee...

@Anita1091 we are lucky (?!?) that the UK Government seems to have decided just to ignore Covid. As a result there is no testing and no laws on what to do even if you test positive. All a bit odd but with 'only' 20 deaths a day perhaps they know what they are doing. 

I guess Airbnb is following the UK approach rather than the Aussie approach.

@Anita1091
Not surprising, Air doesn't care! 😕 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Emilie,

Thanks for the follow up, but the links you provided still don't address the question that @Anonymous initially brought up.  What happens to listings when a guest reports to Airbnb that they've tested positive for COVID during a stay (homeshare or entire place), or when a host reports testing positive a few days before an upcoming homeshare stay?  

If a guest is staying in an entire place, do they give all guests and host the option to allow to continue the reservation if they all agree to do so?  After the guest checks out, does Airbnb impose a mandatory buffer before the next stay or automatically cancel the next stay until the host provides proof of professional cleaning?  If the stay is a homeshare, if more than one room is rented, does Airbnb require that all active reservations be cancelled, or cancel upcoming reservations if all stays have ended as scheduled?

Wouldn’t the new AirBnB COVID policy revision have more significance if the policy read,  “Cancellation requests related to positive COVID 19 tests will no longer be in effect for CHECK IN dates occurring after May 31, 2022” rather than “bookings made after May 31, 2022.”  The booking date is less significant than the check in date and some guests are abusing the intent of the revision.  I hope AirBnB looks closely at this update and it’s consequences as a subsequent modification may be in order. 

Sharon1155
Level 2
Auburn, CA

We have not personally had any cancellations at the last minute and called the Covid card as the reason.