Update to our approach for guests sick with COVID-19

Airbnb
Official Account

Update to our approach for guests sick with COVID-19

Airbnb_0-1651268048162.png

Now that COVID-19 is a known part of our world, many countries have moved to a new stage in their response. In consultation with medical advisers, we’ve updated our approach as well. 

For bookings made on or after May 31, 2022, COVID-19 is no longer covered under Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy, except for domestic reservations in South Korea and mainland China. This means that if a guest gets sick with COVID before their stay and wants to cancel, the Host’s cancellation policy will apply. As a Host, if you’d like to offer a refund or otherwise work with guests on a flexible solution, you’re welcome to do so.

For more details on what this change means, read the answers to frequently asked Host questions in the Resource Center.

We’d love to get your thoughts, feedback, or questions below.

67 Replies 67
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Airbnb

FINALLY!!! Thanks, very much  I will now extend the booking windows on my listings' calendars.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Definitely a thumbs up from me. We are now more than two years on from the announcement of the global pandemic. Anyone who travels knows there is a risk they may have to cancel because of it. Hosts have been acting as unpaid insurers for guests for far too long already. This is definitely a welcome change.

Jo80
Level 3
Brighton, United Kingdom

This is long overdue and we shouldn’t be waiting until the end of may for this to happen! 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jo80,

It shouldn't have taken until April to implement this update, but by law in most countries there has to be at least 30 days notice before most policy changes go into practice.

There usually needs to be notice for policy to take effect. Let’s be grateful and move on with our businesses. 

Kelly800
Level 1
Armadale, Australia

Australia has different mandates in different states, so great for some not for others. Hope you have extra staff for host support as your going to need it.

This is great news!  Glory be to God!  Praying for this to continue.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Great to see but I hope Airbnb advertise this change to guests and encourage them to buy travel insurance

@Mike-And-Jane0,

I doubt that there will be additional encouragement to get guests to purchase travel insurance.  Take notice that the answer to FAQ question 6 has a hyperlink to the cancellation policies, but doesn't for purchasing travel insurance although Airbnb does have a page dedicated to travel insurance: https://www.airbnb.com/d/travel-insurance

Debra300_0-1651504546408.png

Thank you so much for this link. I am definitely saving it so that I can share with my guests. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 I think you will be very pleased with some impending updates 🥰

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Shouldn't Airbnb make that link to travel insurance show up as soon as a guest is searching?  Especially since we cannot put that in our descriptions.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Catherine2511 There's been a few great suggestions from you and other Hosts here about this - hopefully we can bring you some updates soon, and in the meantime thank you for all the feedback! 🙂

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Does this mean Airbnb will cease pressuring hosts to waive their cancellation policies and give guests a refund?  I'm not holding my breath.