Update to our approach for guests sick with COVID-19

Airbnb
Official Account

Update to our approach for guests sick with COVID-19

Airbnb_0-1651268048162.png

Now that COVID-19 is a known part of our world, many countries have moved to a new stage in their response. In consultation with medical advisers, we’ve updated our approach as well. 

For bookings made on or after May 31, 2022, COVID-19 is no longer covered under Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy, except for domestic reservations in South Korea and mainland China. This means that if a guest gets sick with COVID before their stay and wants to cancel, the Host’s cancellation policy will apply. As a Host, if you’d like to offer a refund or otherwise work with guests on a flexible solution, you’re welcome to do so.

For more details on what this change means, read the answers to frequently asked Host questions in the Resource Center.

We’d love to get your thoughts, feedback, or questions below.

67 Replies 67
Kristina46
Level 10
Hawaii, United States

Would love to see optional Travel Insurance added to guest bookings. How about offering it to the guest like VRBO does with their damage insurance? You can either ask the guest to pay non-refundable $59 damage coverage or withhold $1500. Something similar could be implemented for Air guests for travel insurance. (And damage insurance too, for that matter.) I see how this would not be possible as long as Air was requiring hosts to insure guest travel. But now that there are basically no ECs to claim anymore, it could work. Just an idea. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

And a great idea too @Kristina46, you're one of many Hosts that have been asking for this. I hope we can bring some updates on this to you soon!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

I have been asking for an insurance option similar to VRBO's.  What a pleasure it is to be able to collect the amount of the damage up to a year after the reservation with a simple receipt/photo! I can keep my security deposit small - to cover fees - and then rely on the insurance policy for the damages.

VRBO has options of $59, $79, and $99 giving me the ability to put a larger policy on the larger apartments and/or the apartments with special items while charging the guest for a one-bedroom apartment the $59 fee. 

It makes so much sense and eliminates all this hassle with guests asking for reimbursement.

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Kristina46  schrieb:

Would love to see optional Travel Insurance added to guest bookings. ...

Did you see this:

travel insurancetravel insurance

from https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/improved-protections-for-hosts-and-guests-526

Amy907
Level 3
New York, United States

What happens if a guest cancels who doesn't have COVID but is afraid to come to a location where community spread is high? They have to honor the host cancellation policy right?

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Amy907 Unless something were to happen that falls under the Extenuating Circumstances policy, it is the Host's chosen cancellation policy that applies, yes! 🙂

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Amy907,

Fear of travel was never a covered extenuating circumstance.  The host's chosen cancellation policy should apply.  COVID is never going away, and there will always be surges and declines that at some point may become cyclical like the common flu.

Yes

Stephen-And-Barbara0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

What is the point of having a Cancellation Policy protocol STRICT if hosts are still invited to negotiate with  guests.

The whole purpose is to take away this possibility out of the domain of hosts and this is just undermining its whole purpose.

Jennifer3367
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Very welcome 

Steven1110
Level 2
Lower Mangrove, Australia

At last Air BnB will honour the host's cancellation policy.  I have also suggested to Air BnB that they should offer cancellation insurance to guests so the guests can choose to cover their own risk (not just covid related risk)  instead of hosts covering it.

Ingrid345
Level 8
Victorville, CA

Thank You! Air for continuing to update and improve the platforms policies and procedures.  I look forward to receiving better, timely, and support from ambassadors in my country that have an understanding of the regions issues and that can properly document and assist, when there are problems. 

About time. Glad to hear it.
Wish it was not “bookings MADE after May 31” but “reservations that are in place after May31”. We have a lot of bookings already for the summer that will have to handled under the old, unreasonable policy. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ingrid714,

I understand.  This policy was the primary reason why I shortened the booking window to 90 days before arrival, because I didn't want to take the risk of having a last minute COVID cancellation for a several months old reservation.  My listings don't really have transient travelers, and replacement bookings are rarely received.

@Ingrid714  The policy that's in place at the time a guest books is part of their contract, so it would probably cause some legal trouble to change the terms after they've confirmed and paid.