Update to our approach for guests sick with COVID-19

Airbnb
Official Account

Update to our approach for guests sick with COVID-19

Airbnb_0-1651268048162.png

Now that COVID-19 is a known part of our world, many countries have moved to a new stage in their response. In consultation with medical advisers, we’ve updated our approach as well. 

For bookings made on or after May 31, 2022, COVID-19 is no longer covered under Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy, except for domestic reservations in South Korea and mainland China. This means that if a guest gets sick with COVID before their stay and wants to cancel, the Host’s cancellation policy will apply. As a Host, if you’d like to offer a refund or otherwise work with guests on a flexible solution, you’re welcome to do so.

For more details on what this change means, read the answers to frequently asked Host questions in the Resource Center.

We’d love to get your thoughts, feedback, or questions below.

67 Replies 67

@Ingrid714 
Yes! Today I had a guest cancel less than 48hr before they were due to arrive, who booked on May 30. It is her friend (one of the 4 guests) who claims to have covid, so the one who booked could still come (only lives 2.5hr away, I mainly host weekend getaways from 'the city'). We had agreed (not realizing that this Covid policy was still in effect) that I would give her a 50% refund, but she chose to cancel immediately, even though I told her to contact Airb first, so that they could contact me for approval. So I received a notification that I would be paid for both nights. THEN she called Airb, then messaged me, rather too excitedly, to say that they were giving her a full refund because she squeaked in by one day. I do not generally accept last minute bookings, but thankfully it is such a popular area/weekend that I was just able to get a booking from two guests who each have many glowing reviews.  

Thanks so much for the updates...this's a welcome idea. 

Michael915
Level 2
Ocho Rios, Jamaica

I have read that in a German news outlet yesterday, funny thing that I thought it was long time gone already, seems I have been living under and on a rock

It was actually posted on May 2nd already....funny that the news get it faster than here ( I got my notification today here 🙂Screenshot 2022-05-10 at 09-40-45 Airbnb schafft kostenlose Stornierung wegen Corona ab.png

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Michael915 ,

We posted this update a few weeks ago, I think that @Sybe may have just messaged you now in case you missed it 😌

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Yes, I got a message today! Thank you

Steve66
Level 7
Atlantic City, NJ

THANK YOU! 

Jennifer3368
Level 2
St Peters, MO

I literally got a cancel request for a Covid guest this morning, for a reservation tomorrow. They are asking for full refund. What would you do? 

Ask for proof first

If they provide proof, would you provide full refund? 

@Jennifer3368 that's such a tough call.  I like to be nice, but I have to pay my bills, so my cancelation policy is strict.  I wish a documented contagious illness policy would allow for a voucher to use at a future stay, or some kind of coupon could be issued to use in future.  I'm not sure what that would look like, but most Airbnb travellers are going to book again down the road.

@Jennifer3368,

The guest needs to contact Airbnb customer service to cancel and request a refund under the extenuating cancellation policy.  Supposedly, the guest is required to provide proof of positive test that will prevent them from staying at your place.  You will have to wait to hear from CS.  

You may also allow the guest to reschedule to a future date.  Again, the guest will need to submit a reservation adjustment, which you would approve.  Don't cancel or change the arrival date on behalf of the guest, because you may be penalize or the booking date will be reset and allows the guest a new free cancellation grace period.

Rhonda74
Level 3
West Lafayette, IN

I have a strict cancellation policy. Had a guest who was coming to football game but with pregnant wife wanted to cancel when Covid began and wanted a refund. When I authorized the refund, Airbnb withheld that amount from my next guest. Then Airbnb held that money for about 6 months.  I had to continually contact Airbnb to get my money back. 
I was just doing the right thing to keep guests happy with Airbnb and felt punished by withholding the funds. It created a not so warm and fuzzy feeling..

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Rhonda74 I'm really sorry to hear about this, did get resolved in the end? 

I can't quite tell whether this is linked to the Extenuating Circumstances policy we've announced some changes for here, but I'd love to hear more about what you think would have made this a smoother process!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

This is excellent news! Thank you Airbnb 😉