[Updated Jan 2021] Updates about our extenuating circumstances policy in the latest Host Update

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated Jan 2021] Updates about our extenuating circumstances policy in the latest Host Update

BeloRauschBG.png

Last Updated: Jan, 2021

Hello,

The policy update outlined below is now in effect. 

You can find out how cancellations will work under our updated extenuating circumstances policy, effective for reservations starting on or after January 20, 2021, here.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

Catherine Powell is back with a new Host Update, sharing how Airbnb is working to make our extenuating circumstances policy more transparent and fair for hosts. The changes—effective for reservations of stays and Airbnb Experiences with a check-in or start date on or after January 20, 2021*—will give hosts discretion over whether to refund guests who can’t travel due to unexpected personal circumstances. The policy will continue to cover natural disasters and similar large-scale events.

Get all the details about the upcoming changes to our policy here in this Help Center article. Please let us know what you’d like covered in future Host Updates with Catherine. As always, thank you for sharing the topics that matter to you.

*This policy doesn’t apply to Luxe reservations, which are subject to a separate Luxe guest refund policy.

175 Replies 175

Also, please stop reaching out to hosts to ask us to make an exception to our cancellation policies. I get 3-5 requests like this a week, and it makes me wonder why I have the policy in the first place!

@Super47 in regards to your statement:

Don't insult our integrity and our hard work by tarring us with the same brush. And make no mistake, it's Airbnb who must work to earn and retain the trust and loyalty of both hosts and guests. If it's not already too late. 

Please don’t assume to speak for all hosts when you say, ”Don't insult our integrity and our hard work by tarring us with the same brush”. I prefer not to be tarred by your paint brush. 

@Katrina79 

Your comment reminds me of a Host who always had a very sanguine view of Airbnb, his approach was that of a pragmatist which I must confess irritated me no end.

The up shot of it all was, that he was removed from the platform for reasons unknown to the rest of us.

@Cormac0 Thanks, I’ll take it as a compliment, irritating or not. What an interesting plot twist of the reminiscent host, hopefully it is not foreshadowing my own story. 

You're absolutely correct, of course @Katrina79 - I shouldn't presume  to speak for all hosts, particularly those fortunate enough to not yet have been disrespected, subjugated, ripped off, lied to, cheated, mistreated or exploited by the company, and who have so far managed to remain insulated, immune and apparently oblivious to the serious wrongs and injustices to which countless thousands of their fellow hosts - for whom I do speak - have been subjected. Very  thoughtless of me. It's wonderful to hear though, that there are actually still some hosts left who haven't been tarred by Airbnb's abusive brush. 

I do apologise. I'll endeavour not to make that mistake again. 

Penelope

Right on Super47!!

Airbnb has consistently showed complete disregard for hosts and forced us to bear the costs of unfair FULL REFUNDS which many times are given in the form of a future credit to the traveler which preserves

Airbnb's income but totally stabs the hosts in the back as there is no way the host will likely see that person book again. Airbnb has thoroughly discriminated against the hosts in nearly every way.  We even had a guest check in last year and stay 4.5 days on a 7 day stay and Airbnb gave a full refund because the guest feared a approaching storm (which was not bad at all) and decided to go home!!  They even gave back the cleaning fee! They do the same thing when a guest causes damage, we had one destroy things and when we tried to put in a claim Airbnb said "the guest said he did not do it" even though we had plenty of proof!! Airbnb does not respect, listen to or treat fairly the hosts. I believe after this Covid19 there will be thousands of lawsuits against Airbnb.

Thank you Super 47 for detailing the many concerns I have had, but haven’t composed a letter, mostly because there is no one at AirBnB to whom I could address that letter.  

@Catherine-Powell

I really hope you are listening.  Today October 14 was the first time I was notified of this EC policy change.  As a “Super host” it is confusing why I seem to always be the last to know.  

In 2019 I rented our home exclusively on AirBnB reaching over $43000 in gross revenue.  In 2020 guest after guest cancelled and I approved every single cancellation in full.  Our 2020 revenue is going to be less than $1k.  I am curious what other accommodations you want hosts to make.  

I agreed to the new cleaning policy and added three nights between reservations which will cost $ but I want my guests to be comfortable.  

For 2021, I really hope that you are not expecting me to cancel with full refunds again. Everything has changed except AirBnBs protection of the guest at the expense of the host.

The one policy change needed is to not allow a guest, who has caused documented damage, the ability to leave a review.  It makes no sense.  You are allowing guests to abuse hosts with this policy.  We can recover from physical damages but the damage  caused by the negative review lasts much longer.  Last year I sent documents and 72 pictures of damage caused by a guest. The guest didn’t leave a review until they were notified about my damage claim, and their review was a reaction to my attempt to recover from damage.  I go above and beyond to make sure every guest I have is happy, and this policy needs to be changed.  It’s very simple really, when you damage a home you don’t get to leave a review.  Period.  

I really hope you read these comments as I have lost a lot of faith in AirBnB and looking at alternatives.  Thank you.

Hi @Jeffrey114,

Thanks for sharing your experience here, and I appreciate your comments.

The changes to the Extenuating Circumstances policy are designed to make it fairer for hosts and guests, and ensure that hosts have more control over their cancellations.

We are also aware of the issue related to negative reviews and Superhost status and we are working on a solution. We will take your experience into consideration in the process--it is always helpful to hear from hosts on these issues, so thank you again for being in touch.

Best,

Catherine

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Nice video @Catherine-Powell, Thank you! This is the right move. 

Two things:

1.) I really do hope that Airbnb will add a travel insurance option to the booking process. As a guest, it would be reassuring and simple to click a "purchase travel insurance for this reservation for an additional XX" option before reserving. Similar to choosing between the refundable or non-refundable booking options.

2.) Now that Airbnb is taking host cancelation policies seriously, it would be nice to have some more options. For example, there is a big difference between moderate and strict policies. What about something in between? Also, it would be beneficial to offer different policies depending on the time of year (like holidays or busy seasonal events.)

@Emilia42

There is absolutely no suggestion in this video or elsewhere that Airbnb will be offering travel insurance - either now or in the future - for guests to purchase. Catherine clearly states that Airbnb will be "helping guests find travel insurance after they complete their booking. Guests are already being sent a link after booking to a list of external insurance providers, should they wish to purchase insurance from them

The big problem with that is that all travel insurance companies are now aware of Airbnb's EC policy, and insist that the guests must exhaust that avenue first. This is an entirely different scenario to guests being able to purchase insurance as part of the booking process, and offers little to no associated protection to hosts. 

Penelope

@Super47 I was thinking from the perspective as a guest since I also use Airbnb to travel. By the looks of this new policy, it sounds like EC is dead so I can only hope that will open up some better travel insurance options. 

@Emilia42

It appears that the original version of the resource article has since been updated - presumably for the press release - to now state that they are "working towards" offering trip insurance for guests to purchase. No time frame given.

Obviously, if it were to happen, that would be fantastic news for hosts - but it is a promise we've heard before. (Rather odd too, that Catherine made absolutely no mention of it in her video, considering how much of a game-changer it would surely be). We'll just have to wait and see if it ever actually comes to pass, I guess. We can only hope they're not just whispering sweet nothings in our ear again. 

Penelope

Guests already have lots of options for travel insurance. There is no need to wait for an AIrBnB offering. And travel insurance should in my opinion be the guest's only recourse in cases where they are affected by circumstances outside of the host's control.

One could perhaps have a mutual cancellation option in case of natural disasters etc that affects the area of the listing, but any kind of risk on hosts relating to where guests live, or how they travel to get there,  seems unfair. 

Also the fact is most travel insurance do not pay on any cancellation due to government actions like closing the city or restricting travel which occurred with Covid. This must be changed

I'm so glad you enjoyed the video and that you are supportive of the changes we are making, @Emilia42.

We are already directing guests to insurance options, but at some point in the future we may look at incorporating this more fully into our own booking process. Your second idea is also one I will share with the team. Thank you again for your comments here, and I look forward to sharing further updates with you in the coming months.

Best, Catherine