[Updated Jan 2021] Updates about our extenuating circumstances policy in the latest Host Update

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated Jan 2021] Updates about our extenuating circumstances policy in the latest Host Update

BeloRauschBG.png

Last Updated: Jan, 2021

Hello,

The policy update outlined below is now in effect. 

You can find out how cancellations will work under our updated extenuating circumstances policy, effective for reservations starting on or after January 20, 2021, here.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

Catherine Powell is back with a new Host Update, sharing how Airbnb is working to make our extenuating circumstances policy more transparent and fair for hosts. The changes—effective for reservations of stays and Airbnb Experiences with a check-in or start date on or after January 20, 2021*—will give hosts discretion over whether to refund guests who can’t travel due to unexpected personal circumstances. The policy will continue to cover natural disasters and similar large-scale events.

Get all the details about the upcoming changes to our policy here in this Help Center article. Please let us know what you’d like covered in future Host Updates with Catherine. As always, thank you for sharing the topics that matter to you.

*This policy doesn’t apply to Luxe reservations, which are subject to a separate Luxe guest refund policy.

175 Replies 175
Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

I'm not sure that the Extenuating Circumstances policy is really even relevant anymore.  I recently had two guests who cancelled completely outside the terms of the Extenuating Circumstances policies (both regular and COVID).  Airbnb refunded one of them about two weeks after they cancelled (prior to me actually being paid) and took back the funds on the other one several weeks after I had been paid (strict cancellation policy on both).

After many back and forth messages with multiple Customer Service agents where I specifically laid out the facts supporting my position that the policy did not apply and I was entitled to be paid, I finally received the following message:

As cliche as it may sound I totally understand where you are coming from. Let me take to opportunity to inform you that we appreciate your efforts to drive business to our sites and to promote awareness of Airbnb, but unfortunately we need to point out that on section 9.5 of Airbnb's Terms of Service it clearly states that:

"9.5 In certain circumstances, Airbnb may decide, in its sole discretion, that it is necessary to cancel a pending or confirmed booking and initiate corresponding refunds and payouts. This may be for reasons set forth in Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstances Policy or (i) where Airbnb believes in good faith, while taking the legitimate interests of both parties into account, this is necessary to avoid significant harm to Airbnb, other Members, third parties or property, or (ii) for any of the reasons set out in these Terms."

So Airbnb's position is basically that they can make whatever decision they would like for any reason regardless of any extenuating circumstances policies, cancellation policies, or facts.

Della9
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

I was a relatively happy Airbnb host - until i actually needed assistance with two sets of guests in a row who trashed my house, threw parties against AirBNB and my house rules and then refused to pay additional cleaning fees or damages. One group gave me a one-star review because i contacted them via Airbnb after the neighbours called police.  Their "verified" mobile number was fake. Host guarantee?  Security deposit? None of these was offered to defray costs.  The one-star review? It was allowed to stand as it doesn't break "content-rules". It seems you can't swear but you can lie.  The out of control guests?  Still on Airbnb with zero responsibility being asked of them.  

Much worse @Catherine-Powell is that Airbnb "support" keep closing unresolved conversations and removing them from my message log.  Transparency? Trust?  You've got a big job ahead of you, so at least back off from scolding hosts in patronising emails about "doing better" when your own company is doing well below average.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Della9, thanks for getting involved and posting here in the CC, and welcome 😊 I'm so sorry to hear of the issues you've had with your recent guests - I've just sent you a DM with an update on this, so please take a look when you get a minute. 

AmyAndMike0
Level 2
Vermont, United States

@Catherine-Powell, I always give refunds- always have- even beyond my policy. If people have to leave bc of a family emergency or whatever. I have no problem refunding guests.  But I also have no problem being booked up so it rarely affects me negatively. 

my problem is as a super host I tried twice to get through during COVID with no luck after 14 minutes on hold- was disconnected on separate occasions and messaged Airbnb after every decline I've had to make, as is required, with no response from Airbnb, so I just started hitting "*" bc they are required to have a message but they aren't read so I stopped writing them. 

I recently had my account put on pause because guests were asking to come from places our state does NOT allow guests to come without quarantining 14 days on arrival. They plan to vacation and it's not allowed. So because I follow my state law Airbnb punished me. It's bad enough I have to decline 3 people per day bc they don't read our state requirements and the extra work this causes me to explain it since we can't add links to our denials. 

I have put the link on my listing and tried to ask Airbnb repeatedly to put a pop for state rules do people stop inquiring from places not able to come here without quarantining. 

so at this point I'm going to pull my listing Until someone from your agency calls me with a plan to address this. And if I don't hear back Soon- my next step will be to call my Governor- who is very responsive, and let him know that Airbnb is encouraging hosts to break state laws or face consequences by Airbnb. I'm sure he won't be pleased to hear the health risk Airbnb poses to our state and how little they collaborate to come up with a solution. 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @AmyAndMike0, welcome to the Community Center 😊 I'm really sorry to hear you've had these issues - I've just sent you a DM with some more info on your case, so please have a read when you get time.

Fred22
Level 2
Zagreb, Croatia

I would suggest airbnb allow guests to pay for insurance via airbnb or partner and allow HOSTS to cover this cost for guests in case they cannot travel in 2021 due to covid.  This would help hosts like myself that rent villas for summer vacation that require long term planning hence a STRICT cancellation policy.  Would help guest book in times of uncertainty (NOW) and I consider this a win win.  It would be easier if airbnb coordinated.

Aidan76
Level 1
Selby, United Kingdom

@Catherine-Powell

I'm disgusted by your policies from back in March. We had a trip booked before March, and under your Coronavirus extenuating circumstances I should have been due a refund.

Your system, however gave me no option to do this. It presented me with the option of a 50% refund or a 100% voucher. There was no option for a full refund as per your own guidelines.

Your team also told me that I would be banned from creating more trips until I had a doctors note proving I didn't have the virus any more, yet when I mentioned this later to support they had no idea about this.

I was struggling to breathe with coronavirus while your support teams repeatedly said I could not have a refund. They told me I should have clicked the "50% refund" option to get my 100% refund, which is insane.

Its gross to see a company like AirBNB treating people like this. You still have my money

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Aidan76, welcome to the CC and I'm so sorry to hear you were ill with the virus - scary stuff. I checked in with the team and they confirmed that you're now in touch with a Case Manager, so hopefully they can help you get this sorted 😊

The sad part about this is Airbnb takes 100% from the hosts and also hold up the guest with a voucher. They secure their income at everyone else's expense.

Eivind6
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

@Catherine-Powell

Although this seems like an improvement, I don't understand why you retain any of this policy at all. It still means that hosts have risks relating to guest's circumstances and that are beyond hosts' control. Guests should get travel insurance if they want to avoid or mitigate risks on their end. Period.   

Will you in any case make sure that the updated policy has a causality requirement in respect of cause and effect? As it is now any extenuating circumstance on the guest's hand seems sufficient to cancel without liability, even if it does not reasonably conflict with the reservation.  

Moreover, will you ensure that guests are not allowed the loophole of requesting to shorten their reservation, without there being any effective way for hosts to accomodate their request + require the agreed cancellation fee for the cancelled days? The platform should calculate a cancellation fee as default (if applicable) in any cases where there is a change of a booking that effectively entails a whole or partial cancellation.

Hi @Eivind6 ,

Thank you for reaching out to me with your concerns about the EC and cancellation policies.

We have heard from many hosts that these are particular points of concern and we will definitely take your feedback under consideration as we move forward. Stay tuned for more information in my Host Updates soon.

Best,

Catherine

Thomas2133
Level 2
Munich, Germany

Do I understand correctly that if the borders between Germany and Italy get closed which will prevent me from reaching my destination I will get a full refund from airbnb that overwrites host cancellation policy?

@Thomas2133 There is much dispute about this on the forum. My belief is that the EU has a concept of a contract being frustrated whereby if it is impossible for either party to perform the contract is effectively declared null and void and a full refund is due. Airbnb sometimes apply this law, sometimes they don't. I advise you to search for this concept in your country and then, if the trip becomes illegal, ask for a full refund quoting the relevant law.

Sorry, but I would expect Airbnb to have clear rules. Otherwise, what is this video update "Updates about our extenuating circumstances policy in the latest Host Update" actually about? To tell people to stop booking because in doubt Airbnb will protect hosts at the expense of the guests? Let me be frank. I don't have to book AT ALL. If booking through Airbnb requires a lawyer then I'd rather not use them at all. In the end, the hosts and Airbnb will be the losers so I suggest establishing no non-sense rules. The situation I've outlined is so cristal clear that the answer "Sure, you'll eligible for a full refund" should come like a bullet from a machine gun. I'm not going to book if there is a risk of losing my deposit because of COVID-19 related circumstances.

@Thomas2133 If this risk is unacceptable to you, choose a property with a flexible cancelation policy. We've been living with this pandemic for months now, there's no longer any excuse for not taking these disruptions into account when making our plans.