Volunteer during this month: May 2018

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Volunteer during this month: May 2018

Tokyo WFG.jpg

Hello everyone,

This month we’ll be celebrating Week for Good, a time each year when Airbnb hosts and employees come together to give back to our local communities.

Last year, we collectively contributed more than 8,500 hours of service through 170 projects in 30 cities across 16 countries. Will you join us this year?

Our goal is to encourage hosts across the world to join forces and contribute some extra time to their local communities. You can collaborate with other Airbnb hosts on a group project or simply get out and volunteer on your own.

If you don’t know where to start, here are some ways to get involved:

• Reach out to contacts at organizations where you have already volunteered to see if they accept groups and can help you coordinate an event.

• Ask friends, family members, or colleagues who volunteer if the organization they support takes groups and if they can help you make a connection.

• Organizations such as food banks, soup kitchens, shelters, community gardens, or a parks department often take volunteer groups on a one-time basis. Check their websites for a contact or online calendar where you can can pre-register a group visit.

• Search online for “group volunteer opportunities” with your city name and see what organizations pop up. In the United States, volunteermatch.org offers a great database of organizations seeking volunteers.

We would love to hear from you if you decide to volunteer. Please share stories and photos below, or via social media with the hashtag #AirbnbforGood!

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

36 Replies 36
Bernie21
Level 2
Carrara, Australia

Who's volunteering? Where? How? More info please!  Just saw this message about 'volunteering?'

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Bernie21,

Airbnb employees and hosts across the world are getting involved in volunteering projects this week as part of the 'Week for Good'. In the main post above it gives more information about how you can get involved if you'd like to !

Thanks,

Kirstie

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

Pensacola Hosts had 2 great community events last week as part of  Airbnb's

WEEK FOR GOOD - giving back to our community.

10 Hosts were part of a local clean up and gave up time, sweat and some fun in a clean up Scenic Hwy clean up & Ocean Hour- Pensacola HostsScenic Hwy clean up & Ocean Hour- Pensacola HostsClean up - Pensacola HostsClean up - Pensacola HostsCookie making team! Pensacola Hosts came with smiling heartsCookie making team! Pensacola Hosts came with smiling heartsgetting rid of invasive species that had taken over and were blocking views to the waterfront area and walking areas along one of the busiest highways and very historic areas in Pensacola

The 2nd event was a wonderful time spent with 5 hosts assisting Residents of the Covenant Memory Care

Center in baking cookies- it was most precious time encouraging these folks that have memory struggles

to be part of a fun, engaging memory stimulating - and also the smells surely were a joy for all involved. Wonderful time together with other hosts doing good for our Community. Happy Hosting- volunteering is always a blessing when you give from your heart.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Clara116,

Thanks for sharing photos! Looks like you all had a great time clearing up and baking cookies (that sounds like my kind of volunteering!) :). 

Have a great weekend,

Kirstie

Becky53
Level 2
Santa Rita, Guam

For my part I am  in charge of a large rummage sale at my church.  The money raised will go to a girl's vocational school in Cambodia that gives young women job training so that they can avoid being trafficked into the sex trade. 

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Becky53,

That's amazing that you've organised a rummage sale for a girl's vocational school in Cambodia - what a worthy cause ! I hope it all goes well, let us know how you get on and do share photos if there are any!

Have a great weekend,

Kirstie

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

Activities like this are so important to unite us as Hosts- We have our local Hosts Club here in Pensacola and every area can do the same- we are fortunate to have a great team in south florida that has activated the start of our group and now we will continue to grow it and hopefully have tons of hosts involved. 

Happy Hosts in Pensacola, Fl

Duong7
Level 1
Hanoi, Vietnam

Thank you so much for the event

Kay163
Level 1
New York, United States

Hey I would love to join 

Jean354
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

I volunteer all year round with the Santropol Roulant in Montreal. We have a non-profit Meals on Wheels program that prepares and serves 100 meals a day, community vegetable baskets from our organic market, the farm itself has volunteers, a community veggie market, preserves and organic seeds for sale and on the weekend in question we will be selling plants from the farm in our community. Amazing place with just the best vibe from everyone!

Ellen164
Level 2
United States

Hi 

My family and I donated time at our Airbnb property to a lady and her 2 teenage children,  she had never been to Ireland and longed to go for the longest time, however due to an illness she no longer is able to work and so a vacation was really not on the table.

A thousand welcomes to Ireland heard of her situation and asked for help, it was our pleasure to provide accommodation etc for her.

Lynne33
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

Hi - well we might have considered attending, however one day before the end is hardly enough notice!!

Has anything been arranged in Brisbane Australia?

Jenni-and-Chris0
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

I just read about this initiative this morning. Why havnt we been advised before now. It is a great idea and I would have loved to join in. I am in Melbourne, please more info in a timely manner next year. Thankyou