What’s for breakfast? Hosts share tips, plus an important update from Airbnb

Airbnb
Official Account

What’s for breakfast? Hosts share tips, plus an important update from Airbnb

Homemade muffins, eggs, coffee and tea—we love that hosts go the extra mile to welcome guests. So many Airbnb hosts enhance their stays by offering breakfast items, ranging from grab-and-go cereal bars, to continental breakfast, to homemade buffets with local ingredients. It’s not required, of course; but, adding breakfast details to your amenities and listing description can help show off your hosting style, improve the guest experience, and make your property stand out in search.

Starting this week, adding breakfast details will be even more important because Airbnb has new criteria for classifying property types such as bed and breakfasts. Many hosts have asked us to help them distinguish their listings from professional listings such as hotels and traditional B&Bs—as those businesses require specific licenses and have different tax implications, depending on where you live—and we’re responding. If you’re a host who has selected “Bed & Breakfast” as your property type, we’re asking you to confirm your business license or adjust your listing in the next 30 days to help us clearly separate your listing and set expectations for guests.

Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to adjust your listing and make the most of Airbnb’s breakfast amenity, as well as some tips from hosts like you.

3 easy steps to add breakfast details

1. Update your listing

Go to Airbnb.com, and click on your listing. Next to “Rooms & guests,” click “Edit.” If you have a licensed hospitality business, you’ll see a notification to review your listing and enter your business information. If you don’t have a license, change your property type from “Bed and breakfast” to “Apartment,”“House,” or another category listed in the drop down menu. 

1. Add breakfast as an amenity

Under “Amenities,” next to “Additional,” click “Edit.” Then check “Breakfast” if you offer it. Breakfast isn’t a requirement, but some hosts find it can go a long way to help guests feel at home:

• I check off breakfast because I stock the kitchen with breakfast staples, including coffee (French press), tea, hot chocolate, organic oatmeal packets, cold cereal, an assortment of yogurts, a dozen eggs, and fresh fruit. I let guests know in my welcome message that this will be provided and also ask them to tell me which kind of milk (whole, almond, etc.) they prefer so I can stick it in the fridge for them. But the most popular thing is the homemade muffins I bake for all guests.

—Susan, Groton, Connecticut, U.S.A—Susan, Groton, Connecticut, U.S.A

• We don't have breakfast checked, but we do have ground coffee, tea, hot chocolate and instant oatmeal in the pantry.—Mark, Jersey City, New Jersey, U.S.A.

1. Share details

Next to “Title and description,” click “Edit” to add any information or photos of what guests can expect. When writing about what you offer, use it as an opportunity to showcase your hosting personality, tell guests what’s on the menu, specify what time breakfast is available, or, if you don’t offer breakfast, let guests know there are grocery stores or cafes nearby. These hosts offer up some great examples**:

• I provide breakfast of tea/coffee with fruit juice, cereal, fruit, toast or freshly baked croissants (from our wonderful local bakery) in the large, bright kitchen diner which opens out onto the garden, or at the table in the garden on warm days. Breakfast is available between 7.00am and 9.30am, although I can provide it a little earlier if you have a plane or train to catch, or work commitments. I can provide a gluten free breakfast plus nut or soy milk if required. Please mention any dietary requirements when booking.—Rachel, London, United Kingdom
    • We provide a 24 hour "Refill Station" in the dining room where guests can get coffee, hot chocolate, tea and light snacks 24/7. In addition, we serve a "Light Continental Breakfast" of various cereals, yogurt, toast, fruit and baked goods along with beverages.—Francesca + Dave, East Burke, Vermont, U.S.A.
    • Breakfast with coffee, juice, toasted bread, etc. A good start to the day!

—Yuliana, Madrid, Spain—Yuliana, Madrid, Spain

• Our legendary breakfasts, with homegrown and homemade preserves***, are served from 6 to 9 a.m. in our dining room or on the veranda in summer

—Mary + Buster, Sandton, South Africa—Mary + Buster, Sandton, South Africa

When you’re ready, click “Publish.”

With the updates to property-type classifications, hosts have an opportunity to set expectations and stand out to potential guests by confirming or adjusting their listings. Plus, adding breakfast details can also help foster personal connections with guests and set the table—pun intended!—for a five-star stay.

Just take it from host Alan, of Angaston, Australia: “It’s rare to find accommodations [in the Barossa Valley in South Australia] that doesn’t supply cooked breakfast provisions. A little extra work for the host makes a happy guest—the smile on their face says it all!”

*Listing photos courtesy of hosts.

**Host tips have been edited for length and clarity.

***If you are preparing homemade food for your guests, consult your local rules around food service and safety.

90 Replies 90
Yvonne191
Level 10
New Brunswick, Canada

Add breakfast as an amenity entails much more than just breakfast.

If you prepare breakfast, in my area you need a local license and you change your tax bracket when filing your income tax returns. Health Department regulations for food preparation may also be requested.

I find it easier to have all supplies on hand and indicate guests do the preparations, clean up and wash & dry the dishes. If you choose to do so try to find out if your area has requirements beforehand.

Best regards,

Yvonne

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Yvonne191  for sharing your tips here and what to look out for if you are offering breakfast, it is something that you could easily miss as a host, especially if you are just starting out. 

Do you find that your guests like having this option when they stay with you?

Thanks again,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Yvonne191
Level 10
New Brunswick, Canada

Your welcome @Lizzie    Yes definetly my guest really  appreciate having breakfast staples available.

As well some guests arrive late and enjoy an egg  or grilled cheese sandwich, toast or even a bowl of cereal before bed.  I wouldn't want anyone going to bed on an empty stomach either.  

Best regards,

Yvonne

Leslie424
Level 3
Guanacaste Province, CR

Question Yvonne, so how do you add all you provide food wise to your fee and break even? And without later having Airbnb hinting to lower your rate each time to attract more guests? Thanks in advance. 

Exactly!  You make an excellent point on this pressure I am feeling too.  As the cost of groceries has increased and experiencing the time, money, waste and criticisms I have burned out on providing a nice breakfast for free.  I don't even want to do it for a price!  It started out to seem simple with granola, yogurt, fresh fruit, but that's not so easy as guests had different schedules and food was wasted and it took too much time to have the kitchen open and clean up.  Guests who woke up late and missed it criticized me in their reviews or gave me lower stars.  They criticized the "value," if they missed breakfast.  It felt like a setup.  But to discourage food in their bedrooms, I do offer coffe and toast in the kitchen with the invitation for them to augment this.  After some recent "guests from hell," I have also raised my rates and changed my category of desired reservations to "freguent" as opposed to 
"as much as possible."  Hope I don't burn out on doing this Airbnb thing.

Yvonne191
Level 10
New Brunswick, Canada

@Leslie462 I have breakfast stapples included in my fee and would not charge an extra fee.  Depending on where you live and shop you will have to decide if it's feasible for you. 

I usually get a second booking for their return trip( if they haven't already booked elsewhere) in a week or two, even in slow season, so I get an extra rental as well. 

Airbnb will always send  these Messages. Yes they are irrating and every now and then I will send Feedback to no avail....

Your very welcome Leslie.

Yvonne

@Beulah1  - we have a small fridge in the suite and tell people that we'll have a bag of bagels /english muffins on hand, along with some jam and they are welcome to bring any additional snacks or foods they'd like. We used to do fresh fruit, milk etc but found it went to waste more often than not.  
We don't have a stove available in our guest suite but a microwave & toaster oven are there for their use.  
(Of course, there was the morning I shuffled to the kitchen to find 2 big Russian fishermen cooking eggs and sausage at my stove!  *They DID offer me coffee and a bite to eat... )

There'a nothing you can do to keep airbnb from suggesting you lower your rate. It's like junk mail & irritating. As for the cost of breakfaat, it is an investment in your business.  

@Leslie424 I have breakfast stapples included in my fee and would not charge an extra fee.  Depending on where you live and shop you will have to decide if it's feasible for you. 

I usually get a second booking for their return trip( if they haven't already booked elsewhere) in a week or two, even in slow season, so I get an extra rental as well. 

Airbnb will always send  these Messages. Yes they are irrating and every now and then I will send Feedback to no avail....

Your very welcome Leslie.

Yvonne

In my city, offering breakfast, or food of any kind, is a serious risk violating local Board of Health laws.  While freshly baked scones, an omelet, or even a cup of coffee might seem innocent enough, it can trigger a visit from the health inspector and a citation to shut down and cancel all bookings.  I understand the breakfast amenity is intended for fully licensed and insured bed & breakfast homes or establishments that meet all local and regional health codes.  I caution any novice or casual host offering just a bed (& bath) to avoid mentioning any food options for guests, at least in the written description.

My personal policy is, if we happen to have baked some tasty breakfast item, or we happen to have brewed a full pot of coffee, our guests are welcome to have some, but it’s completely voluntary and not officially part of their cost for staying with us.  While it remains dicey with our local BoH, I trust it’s a fair compromise to provide our guests the best hospitality without undue bureaucracy.

Here in Australia you must have a ‘licence’ and appointed ‘food safety’ person to serve any food. This includes from just a carton of fresh milk up. Also, if your supply accommidation here in Victoria , Australia your property will ultimately have its rates increased as your now a ‘commercial’ property. Which also affects any insurances. Domestic insurance in Australia is voided if your supply ‘accommidation’

Best to go in with ‘eyes wide open’

cheers.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Airbnb @Kent19 @Yvonne191 @Lizzie 

Airbnb = Air bed & Breakfast, isn't it?

I personally provide breakfast as everyone needs to eat to start the day.

Most of those who have chosen my home to stay in have said it's in part because of my breakfast selection & almost all have enjoyed having fresh fruit.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Therese78
Level 2
Daventry, United Kingdom

Spot on! I agree ... it’s in the brand; if Airbnb want to change the criteria then that must ultimately change what is written on the tin. Back to AirBed&Breakfast.

Oh how I agree!!

I have come to this thread today because Airbnb has sent nasty little reminders that unless I jump through their stupid hoops I may be removed. How dare they? I have been doing this for eight years, I think, I go out of my way to accommodate guests and have had the most wonderful and exceptional people to stay, several of whom have become good friends. This is down to the lengthy and detailed listing that I crafted over several days to get just right,  and I deeply resent the constant meddling by Airbnb, previously concerning their format changes but most recently to do with listing requirements and what amounts to a pincer movement on real bed and breakfast. 

As an American having lived and travelled in the UK for well over 30 years I can tell you that B&B here is an institution, and I would add, one that has been flagging in the traditional sense for a long time (staying in someone's spare room and breaking bread with them for a reasonable fee). I was lucky enough to stay in several homes back in the distant 80s that were the real thing and I lamented their slow disappearance, which is why I decided that if I was going to do B&B it was going to be the sort that I WOULD WISH TO FIND once again, and as it turns out hundreds others from around the world feel the same way! THIS INCLUDES BREAKFAST! As others are saying, it's in the name. I have suggested to the latest support person that they should seriously consider breaking up the company into two parts and give real B&B the platform it deserves. They have become too big for their britches! Of course, they could just stop messing around with it! Easy.

Let's get something clear here: we hosts are the backbone of Airbnb, we are not owned by them. The same thing happened to Etsy. Too big and greedy and enamoured of change for it's own sake...I left them and now sell my wares in an "old fashioned shop", does anyone remember those?!  So far so good. Airbnb you have been warned.